Suspension Compatibility - 2009 to 2011 R1200GS ESA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GHO100, Sep 16, 2019.

1. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Hello!

the title covers a lot of it, but my question is fairly simple.

I have a 2011 R1200GS, ESA. 76,000 miles.
    I have an option to buy an ESA suspension from a 2009.

According to the parts fiche, the part numbers are the same, but I did see there might be a difference on the front suspension, which is the external reservoir.

so what do you guys think? Can I swap a 2009 ESA suspension into my 2011?
  2. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    But...why?

At 30k they’re worn out anyway..why buy older crap? Spend the money on decent suspension.
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  3. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Not really my question, and not a helpful reply.
    Deano747 and pops like this.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not directly on point... but if you can't get a comfortable answer to your query, perhaps consider looking into ESA rebuild services. There seem to be several options, different geographic possibilities, etc.

Here's but one prior thread... https://advrider.com/f/threads/plug-esa-shock-rebuild.837935/

When I was involved with tracked Bimmers, we would wholesale replace shocks (and often springs) with regularity. Then I met some P-car guys, and their stuff was so much more expensive that they would frequently get shocks rebuilt. From those guys I learned.
    GHO100 likes this.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    The difference in reservoir may be due to 2 different types (can't recall but think two different mfg too?) - you should be able to bolt them on but physical differences may require some re-engineering as needed... Also, w different types, there may be different changes in the way they behave ie. software related...

You didn't say as to why this is appealing to you? GS=>GSA or lower mileage or else?? Either way, 76K mi on set of shocks is 2x too many so if '09 mi is lesser, much lesser, this may be good route to go or at least try as an interim...

You do have options of upgrading your tired OE ESA shocks w serviceable Wilbers custom to your weight and riding style while retaining ESA hardware so that'd be the ultimate solution although not the cheapest one... :deal
  6. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. The 09 set has 13k, so the mileage and a very reasonable price were my considerations.

As you pointed out, and with a bit more googling/digging, they are indeed different, even from different companies, so I'm going to hold off and see what I can do to rebuild mine or find another alternative in my budget.

Thanks!
    pops and lewisjr1 like this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries... Check w Ted Porter at Beemershop as he's "reference" when it comes to custom Wilbers mated to OE ESA hardware for financial impact. Wilbers are often called second best shocks after Ohlins, serviceable, rebuildable, work well w ESA - OEs aren't made to be rebuildable although some have tried, unsure of success rate...

GL :thumb
    GHO100 likes this.
  8. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Yet, 4 posts later, you decide to research different options..as swapping old crappy shocks in place of your crappy shocks seems to not be a good use of cash.

Weird..
  9. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Funny how I asked a specific question, got good information related to my question, and adapted my plan, all without anything useful from you.

Almost like having the right information helps me make a better decision.

Good condition, low mileage shocks would be just fine with me, depending on the year.

I don't know who pissed in your coffee, but your attitude sucks
    OzRider64 likes this.
  10. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    I’m truly sorry you got an opinion you didn’t like on the internet..

The facts are, the factory suspension in those years was garbage the day it came off the line. A decade, didn’t improve it.

No one pissed in my coffee, Wheaties or, anything else. I’m sorry you need everything coated in sugar and that you’re so sensitive.

I just happen to be direct. I know many are deeply offended by that these days...apparently you’re one of them.
    Dan-M likes this.
  11. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:

No worries mate! Try to have a better day
    Bill-66 likes this.
  12. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    I have a great day every day brother!

Glad you got it sorted!
  13. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with Bill. what you are buying is a waste of money. You will not realize any palpable difference. No matter how cheap, it is not a good value.

If you are bent on doing it, why ask then argue? Just do it. It's your money.
  14. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    I wasn't bent on doing anything. I was asking very specifically if there were changes made to the shocks across model years.
  15. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I discovered that the 09 is not interchangeable with the 11 anyway due to a different number of steps in the stepper motors.
    GHO100 likes this.
  16. GHO100

GHO100 Goerge

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Glad I didn't go that route
  17. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Ok, now I have a specific question. I have a 2011 GSA with a DMC sidecar and from what I have heard the shocks on the bike after 50K miles are probably less than optimal. Is there anyone here who has successfully replaced the shocks (on a Camhead from that era) with aftermarket units and what was their level of satisfaction?

Thanks in advance for your learned and considered opinions.
  18. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went the Ohlins route with my 2008 and was so happy that I almost immediately replaced the stock ESA suspension on my 2011 with the Ohlins ESA setup. I think that is as good a recommendation as you can get.
    BJMoose likes this.
  19. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Now that's informative. Thanks
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I don't believe that anyone has ever replaced one-size-shock-fits-all-riders OE shocks, even newer let alone 50K mi tired ones, with aftermarket shocks, built for specific rider's weight and riding style, and didn't feel riding on magic carpet, regardless of who the mfg of shocks was... :deal

Until ESA became a "must have" gadget, it was a norm to ditch the OE shocks rather promptly in favor or Ohlins, Wilbers, Elkas (no longer in production I think?) and make GS/A much greater riding moped than it has been w OE shocks... Now, newer ESAs of dynamic variety have changed for better and reduced that difference but, with or without ESA, custom shocks are one of if not the best upgrade you can make to your moped.

You haven't said if you have ESA shocks on your '11 or not as that'll determine further financial impact ie. whom to go with. Wilbers shocks accept OE ESA hardware so the cost is lesser than Ohlins which are all together delivered w their ESA hardware. If no ESA, or if ESA option will be disabled, then either company is way better option for stock shocks than 50K mi worn out stockers... :thumb
    BJMoose likes this.