Suspension things from a adv noob

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Junglejeff1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    History:eek:ffroad/mx racer over 30 years.Started revalving in 1994 using race tech kits.Now just having fun riding trials and adv with wife.Ex bike mechanic(no money there)ex log home builder,ex ship fitter building LCS combat ships and 56 years old (unfortunately still have 3 business running)and still love riding.I am semi retired and work on peoples bikes as a paying hobby to buy cool bike stuff with the extra money.
    I was picking up 15 dollars worth of bolts for my converted yz off road bike and sat on a AT.Bought the damn thing because I thought it was a cool bike.I was going to pick up a yz 450 but spent the damn money on this because I could ride wifey around and she loves riding behind me(keep wife happy and I stay happy).
    After i a couple weeks i found suspension pretty much sucked bad.I bottomed out alone on rough paved roads when I laid on the steam.Front tire washed out in corners scary bad.Fiqured I would have to teach myself adv type suspension stuff now that I want to do this.As a race tech follower gold valve guy I went to race tech for results.There settings have always been harsh for the tighter tracks of wi and mi so it,s always drop 2 clicks on the valving chart for our tracks on compression valving and go up up 1 to 2 on rebound.After messing around with this and not being happy I recieved a PM from cogent dynamic about adv stuff.Rick asked me to test a a shock out he had built out of stock body.I sort of have a reputation of beating the shit out of stuff so who better to be a guine pig.TO BE CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.
    Amphib, NSFW and Gemel like this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Rick sent me this shock,damn thing was harsh on high speed hits but he had installed a high speed compression adjuster.Played around backing off high speed and slow speed down and it ended up as a damn nice shock.He wanted me to send back the shock but never got around to it.He wanted a stock shock to see if he could extend the travel on them so I sent him my original shock.So Rick is not going to get his mod shock back as it,s staying on my bike and he is cool with that.CONTINUED I NEXT POST.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So any way as a old dirt bike racer I have found out many new things. This adv stuff is quite a bit different than offroad. Suspension has to cover more variation in terrain than the usual more dedicated offroad riding .I find that the jap bikes do tend to be under sprung for adv guys just as the dirt version are.The AT springs are good up to about 200 lbs of load if you are a fast rider.I am having fun watching the T7 thread reviews as they think it is stiffer springs(as they wind them up harder to stop bottoming or wind them down for the harley ride for the street guys,)You guys might want to try a good suspension shop to find out what a bike can do when it is set up for you.Way better than wasting money on blaw blaw exhaust system.
    Amphib and fpalbrecht like this.