Suzuki finally updating the Wee-Strom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Southerner

Southerner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (1) The French have way too much time on their hands and
    (2) some jackass in France can ride!

Was surprised that the 1000 survived, but glad all the same.
  3. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/V-Strom 650/2012/DL650AADV.aspx#Overview

2012 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure, $9,799

For 2012, we're giving you another choice in adventure touring. Introducing the V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure. It has striking accessories that include sleek aluminum side cases large enough to fit a full-coverage helmet, a rugged accessory engine bar and an adjustable windscreen. It also has the same improved performance as the original V-Strom 650 ABS. Its new 645cc V-Twin engine has improved low-to-mid rpm performance, matched by enhanced fuel economy and environmental performance.2012 will mark the 10th anniversary of the V-Strom series since its introduction. Suzuki hopes the new V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure will be enjoyed by many more riders.
  4. Southerner

Oddometer:
    Odd. The url comes up but no pic.
  5. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    I got that also. I posted it, just in case they pull the link until they make the official announcement.

nlp
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pic works for me if I do this. Go to the posted URL. Click on Motorcycles tab. Click on Dual Sports and then click on DL650.
  7. Southerner

Oddometer:
    Crap! Still didn't work.
  8. NateLePain

Oddometer:
    Well now you have something to look forward to.:thumb

nlp
  9. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The link to the regular Vstrom 650 ($8299) fully works; the photo part of the link to the Vstrom 650 Adventure ($9799) says "Coming Soon." Suzuki's description says it gets aluminum side cases and an "engine bar." We'll have to see if that additional $1500 buys any more than that.
  10. stoked steve

stoked steve Tag-o-holic

Oddometer:
    It also mentioned an adjustable windscreen (that I assume is different from the stock one?).

I'd be buying those accesories anyway, so you probably save a couple hundred as a package.

I'm very interested in seeing one in the flesh, my local dealer has my number and will be calling me when they're getting one in...:ear

I'm very pleased with the price, I thought it might be $8,500 as the base MSRP.
  11. Southerner

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that "engine bar" also replaces that stock plastic thing with a real bash plate?
  12. stoked steve

stoked steve Tag-o-holic

Oddometer:
    I'd imagine the "adventure" to look like this. Except for being black or orange here in the States.

Accesories probably not included would be the top case, hand guards, lower plastic engine cover?

[​IMG]
  13. stoked steve

stoked steve Tag-o-holic

Oddometer:
    Hey, there's a new pic up on the Suzuki website of the "Adventure" model...seems a little weak as a package. Nice bags (aren't those Trax boxes?), but no under carriage protection, not even that cheesy plastic lower guard.

I prefer the "factory" bags shown on the white bike above.

[​IMG]
  14. Southerner

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with the bags. I prefer top openers.

The lack of a bash plate does seem an odd omission.
  15. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    How about a set of handguards or heated grips or perhaps a switch for the ABS? I can't understand why they would add the engine guards before a bash plate or handguards.
  16. stoked steve

stoked steve Tag-o-holic

Oddometer:
    Now here's how they should have equipped the 650 Adventure. This is the 1000 Adventure, hmmm,,,,maybe worth a second look...

[​IMG]
  17. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect an ABS switche is off the plate in anticipation of future legal and vehicle licensing reasons, but the lack of a bash plate and handguards is perplexing, given that the hand guards are already on the 1000 and bash plates are currently available from the same vendors they're sourcing other parts. And I think the adventure version of the current DL650 solid in Europe had a bash plate.

I wonder if this Adv version for the US market may be a last minute thing and they haven't finalized spec or finished contracts with the vendors supplying the parts yet. Or maybe they're delberately leaving some holes for the vendors and the dealers to make an extra buck.

- Mark
  18. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:

Those bags belong on a scooter. How about some aluminum boxes, real guards and USD forks. What is wrong with manufacturers ...oh yeah never mind.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't bother at all with the adventure version.
    buy the base and build it how you like...with real metal skid plate, the bars you want and the side bags you want. most of the original stuff will probably bolt right up or need minor re-tweaks.
    is it really that hard to do yourself?
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    because that's the street bike setup.