Suzuki finally updating the Wee-Strom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jun 1, 2011.

1. M0t0Rider

M0t0Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Economy is no that good, there plenty of DL1000 still sitting around on dealer floors. Would it be a smart move for a manufacturer to spend the R&D dollar and tooling in times like this when most people do not have alot of recreational cash to buy. Now you have slammed Suzuki and Honda but what I think, with your leadership of these companies, they would be headed to bankruptcy making bikes no one can buy or even get loans to buy in these times. I personally think these companies are smart for holding still and making small moves for the moment. :deal

What do you think?
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:

I think the Japanese grew up selling cheap affordable bikes that expanded the market to the point that everyone was convinced that they needed 6 bikes in the shed for every conceivable task.

Once the cheap finance option was also saturated and people started to think a bit harder about what is actually needed then some hard questions were asked about whether it was possible to get by with maybe 1 bike in the shed.

Secondly, the first generation Engineers that founded and ran the Companies have either died or retired, leaving the business graduates to run the place.

They probably don't ride, spend more time on Management forums than motorcycle forums and take feedback from "Focus Groups" and have little "feel" for the market. (yes it's a gross generalization but...) They definitely won;t have the same kind of fire in their bellies to whip Mr HONDA's Ass on the next model. The Japanese competed like buggery amongst themselves and it was a point of pride more than money.

SO now they are trying to get used to lower volume higher priced bikes to keep going over longer time frames, just as the Europeans have been doing for years.

Secondly, the big growth is in the "developing" world where smaller bikes and different tastes dominate.and the average "western" consumer may have to get used to being less and less of a priority as time goes on.

Just as the European manufacturers were almost killed by the Japanese I think the Japanese are about to find them selves in a similar situation with the rise of the Chinese and Indian manufacturers.

I mean BMW is making half Chinese (F series) bikes these days. Things are a changing for sure.
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they are smart, they are still spending on R&D but not releasing new models until either there's proven demand (==> Super Tenere on pre-order in the US) or the economy picks up. The DL 650 was already a good seller so it got the (low production cost delta) refresh.

The R&D costs are minor, it's setting up a production line, buying in components and having thousands of bikes sitting in a warehouse or on showroom floors that's expensive.

Cutting R&D totally isn't a win either - when things pick up, you loose bigtime on that early surge of sales when potential customers have cash ( or credit) again.

Pete
  4. dreccles

dreccles V Rider

Oddometer:
    South Shore of Gitche Gumee - NorthWest Wisconsin
  5. dreccles

dreccles V Rider

Oddometer:
    South Shore of Gitche Gumee - NorthWest Wisconsin
  6. Shag67

Shag67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it looks like the new Wee might be available in orange only for the base model. Suzuki's website isn't really clear on it. It shows only orange but if you look at the "Features" tab it lists black as an available color, too. I asked my local dealer and he says he's not positive but thinks the base model will be available in orange only and that the adventure version will definitely be available in black only.
  7. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    .....You nailed it!

Absolutely!

:clap

I own a 2004 Wee-Strom, and I also own an RC51 and a Ducati Monster.

I do not understand all the hate out there complaining about the 1000 not being updated and complaining that the 650 was not turned into a "true" off-road machine.

The 1000 isn't broken, why change it? Keep the cost down for a fantastic 1000 cc V-Twin touring machine that can do some dirt.

The 650 was updated enough to make her a great option versus the high priced machines hitting the market with bigger engines.

Could they both use better suspension? Well, shoot, what bike on the market couldn't use better suspension? It has been my experience that no matter how good the OEM shock and forks are on any bike, an owner will have to fit springs, oil, and valving that fit his unique weight, luggage, and riding style needs.

My "old" 2004 DL650 V-Strom has a triple adjustable, remote reservoir Elka shock installed, and the forks have heavier springs and fork oil. That change has transformed the bike into a GREAT handling, back road carving, mile munching, pot hole soaking, sport touring machine that can be taken down gravel roads and eats up whatever I throw at her.

She returns 50 mpg, does not vibrate, has super clear mirrors, can run for over 200 miles between fill-ups, and has a HUGE load capacity. With the aftermarket screen, there is ZERO buffeting, the bugs don't hit my helmet, and I can ride from Dead Horse to Tierra del Fuego and not have to worry about mechanical failures or a sore butt.

The darn thing costs me ZERO money other than insurance, gas, oil, and tires. With the Scottoiler eSystem installed, the chain will last at least 30,000 miles. She fires up every time at the touch of a button and runs for 15 hour days non-stop with zero drama.

If everyone owned a WEE-Strom there would be Peace on Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :freaky

Screw you guys.....I"m going for a ride!
  8. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can say that again.
  9. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought the 1000 was being stopped because of emissions

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can confirm all of the above, except mine (a K7) returns even better fuel mileage. I went two-up with my GF from Finland to Australia with it, through 15 countries, and we had exactly one (1) technical issue on our whole 6-month, +20.000 mile trip (even that was a flat Yuasa battery, that needed to be replaced, and it was probably faulty from new).

That wasn´t the only trip I´ve done with the two DL650´s that I´ve owned.... in fact if I count in my previous bike, an SV650, that has basically the same engine, during the last 9 years I´ve got about 120.000 miles on three different bikes, that have this 645cc v-twin. And *never* really had to repair anything on any of them, that wasn´t caused by myself. Just regular maintenance.

So yeah, they´re damn reliable machines, with very few known issues. Makes them a very good choice for big trips, even though they have their limitations off-road. And the DL650 is surprisingly capable 2-up, too.

more about the Oz trip here:
    http://www.moto1.fi/blog.htm
  11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rumor that has been floating around about every bike that seems to languish on the vine. In reality, with today's cats, about anything can be cleaned up - it's just a matter of expense and performance tradeoffs.

- Mark
  12. Southerner

Southerner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was the same reply I got when I asked why Suzuki discontinued the GS500.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. Shag67

Shag67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree that's pretty lame. If you look at the features tab for the base model it says:
    <table id="FeaturesTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><tr><td class="" width="30px">
    </td><td class="FeaturesData">Compact, slim styling featuring a vivid combination of expressive painted sections and functional black resin components accentuates the sporty profile. Colors available: Metallic Fox Orange; Glass Sparkle Black</td></tr></tr></tbody></table>
    So maybe... just maybe the base model will be available in black, too? But I think you're right and that they just forgot to update the Features tab. :puke1
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i remember that the base model (before the adv vesion was shown at all) did have a color tab & picture for the orange one and the black one. then both still when the black adv model came out. the base model black button & picture page have since disappeared. so yes you're right they have not updated the text yet, but someone @ suzuki na made a decision to change up the color options and remove black for now. guess we'll see if that sticks as black will be a popular requested base model (orange is cool, but very polarizing color and odd to have it as the only option) and like i said before most will forgo the over-priced and under-equiped adv spec'd bike and WANT the base.
  16. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The white they get in Europe looks good to me - offsetting the black bits - at least in the photos and videos. (Whine) why can't we get that? Black would be my second choice and they drop that - are they trying to keep me from switching to Suzuki?
  17. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone complains about the Vee being Ugly.

Just point them to the New Versys as an example of "Best in class" :lol3

Photo NUKED!!
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i like the white too.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yeah the 650 is small and funk, but the 1000 is big and? chunky and not in a good way. maybe black is it's best color.

20. Twilight

Twilight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I don't think it looks that bad. This might be my next bike.

[​IMG]