Suzuki finally updating the Wee-Strom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jun 1, 2011.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Blue Ridge Parkway area. There's also a "First Ride" writeup on Motorcycle-USA.com.

--mark
  2. nanohiccup

nanohiccup in time

Oddometer:
    A year later... Any owners with feedback versus the older version ? I've been very satisfied with my 07, since new with zero issues. I've had the chance to sit on an 2012 but that's it. I like the look better, but wonder if the new motor provides the same level of dependabilty. Has enough time gone by pass the test.....
  3. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    thx nano ... I been wondering the same...
  4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    Since I miss the versatility of my old wee I have been lurking around stromtrooper to see if any problems pop up.

It is sparse with problems...so it looks promising. :D
    http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/80739-dl650a-l2-known-issues.html
    http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/80531-2012-vstrom-650-niggles.html

Still some complaints about the (supposedly improved) wind screen, the horn button is too close to the blinker switch.
    Fuel mileage can be mediocre at high speeds with the super wide panniers that the Adventure model has (it can also be really great at lower speeds).

Seems like they feel the engine is smoother, suspension is improved :clap, and that handling is better, the ABS is generally well-liked, and somehow feels a bunch lighter than the wee.
    Here are some wee vs glee comparisons: http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/75975-12-wee-vs-04-11-wee.html

Still a contender for me! :freaky
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better all round. The only complaints are trivial things, horn button too close to the indicator switch. High beam LED far too bright.

The motor was used in the Gladius for a year or two before it came out in the new DL.

Only 20,000k's on my L2 so far, (my K6 had 120,000 on it when I sold it). If anything the new motor will last longer, it certainly has less of a tendency to chew up the oil than the old model. (New oil cooler, clutch changes).

Power is hard to assess, on paper only a little more, but the power band is wider and fuelling is better so more usable power in practice. It really hauls ass passing for example compared to the old DL.

Pete
  6. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Current owner of K7 ABS and 2012. Similar bikes naturally, but the new one is more refined. Feels somehow lighter and more maneuverable, and uses a little less gas. Older stock seat sucked, but for my behind the new stock seat is actually very good. ​

Worth it to switch? Can´t tell you that, cos it depends on the money, but the bike has definitely improved. Also I cannot find one reason, why the new model would be any less reliable than the older one. It´s not a new engine, the Gladius has been around. ​
  7. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    I too have a new 2012 DL 650, and we have an '04 DL 650 that my son rides more than me now. I also have an '03 DL 1000.

The '12 seems a LOT more refined in many ways. The fuel injection is so much better than the early model and I would say the '12 gets 4-5 mpg more than the '04 under all conditions. It does have better low to midrange power and about the same above. The basic engine is pretty much the same so I expect rock solid durability will continue. The dash and layout is really nice compared to the old bikes. One of the biggest improvements is the suspension. It may not suit hardcore riders that are going to respring/revalve anything they own but it is significantly better than the previous generation.

While to some it might seem there was not much changed, riding them tells there is more than just what is on paper.
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right - suspension is still not fancy, but has a much more firm feel to it, and does not bottom out as easily as older models. Much better for the average rider.
  9. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2012 DL650 March 12,2012. I have 40,500 km on it right now. My 2006 has 202,000+ km on it.

Once I started riding my 2012 I couldn't bring myself to ride the 2006 anymore. I like it that much more! It isn't amazing in any one detail but overall feels like a much better machine. Suspension is better.. I upgraded my 2006 front and back and feel no need to do so on the 2012. The engine feels more powerful and "torquier". I dont think it is any smoother than the 2006 but then I thought the 2006 was fairly smooth. Brakes feel much better than the 2006 although I can't see why that should be.

Aerodynamics are better than the 2006 but I still went and bought a Madstad and use the windsheilds from my 2006 (tall Givi in Cold weather and Standard [PRE-2012] in warm weather.

It feels much lighter than the 2006 and much more nimble. I would say it is also more stable at speed than the stock 2006 (once I lowered the front of the 2006 the stability was improved a lot but I haven't done that on the 2012.)

I really like the dash of the new bike and especially the fuel mileage and temperature displays. On the subject of fuel mileage I have recorded every drop of gas that went into the 2006 and have done the same on the 2012. Because mileage noticeably changes with speed and temperature it is hard to make exact comparisons but overall my mileage is 11% better.

I have had absolutely no service issues with the bike.

Complaints are minor.. hitting the horn instead of turn signal and the brightness of the high beam and frost light are about it (I am pretty much used to the brightness of booth but might put a sticker over them to partially block the light..)

..Tom
  10. nanohiccup

nanohiccup in time

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies! I had surfed Stromtrooper as well and appreciate the links. Funny that the biggest complaint seems to be the horn button. Damn I want a new one...When my current strom rolls over a hundred I think I'm gonna push it in a ditch and start fresh.
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Having ridden my buddies 2012 back to back with my 2007, I think power is the same. I've upgrade springs front a rear with a sasquatch shock rebuild, and cartridge emulators up front. My suspension felt firmer, but more compliant. On the same rough road ridden back to back the 2012 the rear seemed to chatter more over the same rough stuff (did not try tweaking his rebound though) and the front though softer sprung felt a bit harsher on the hard hits. :dunno That said, I have no idea what the stock suspension on a bike of my vintage feels like.

My 2007 has a spot at 5800 rpm where the motor hits a harmonic that starts things buzzing. Buzzes from 5800-6000 rpm (that's 75ish MPH, so it's a cruising spot). His motor hit a similar harmonic at 4800rpm (so well below a good cruising spot). His motor sounded tighter. His brakes (we both have ABS bikes) felt nearly as good as mine and I have GSXR calipers w/DL1000 master cylinder. I think the changes in the ABS unit has firmed up the lever feel.

I like the styling of the new bike, I'd still think the windscreen is crap, and am a bit bummed that the seat bases are no longer interchangeable because I'm quite happy with my DL1000 gel seat. I like the new dash and the handlebar mounted button to change info. Still don't like the stock handlebars, I've got pro-taper Pastrana FMX fat bars on my bike and really like the bend. I didn't have any problem with the blinker or horn. :dunno

I wouldn't get rid of my 2007 to "upgrade", but the new bike is a nice update. Overall the 2012 is just more refined, with the same need for a suspension tweaking and removal of the windscreen of the previous bikes.

$0.02
  12. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it does not have the SAME need for suspension tweaking. Far fewer riders even think that's a must on the -12, although some naturally still do.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any comments on the front turn signals?

I've only seen one in person, and that was in a showroom where I looked at the bike for about ten minutes. The turn signals looked like they weren't mounted in a very good place. They looked as if a fall would break the fairing and not the signal itself.

Jamie
  14. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Felt the SAME to me. :deal
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:

I managed to drop my 2012 a few weeks ago (in my GF's driveway.) I had done this many times on my 2006 and always broke signals but did not suffer any damage at all on the 2012. (My bike does not have crash guards or anything that would help. I don't think you could think of the Suzuki Handguards as being able to provide any protection.) Now this was dropping it at a standstill but still I would have expected signal breakage.

..Tom
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    They pop free now and the stalks are flexible. Still the same place and plastics, still relatively fragile, but I suspect a bit less prone to breaking now.

Pete
  17. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the front suspension still "clunk" off pavement or on rough roads?
  18. ENDODB4

ENDODB4 b00n

Oddometer:
    Nope, they say they fixed that as well as the overall mushy front end :clap