1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Suzuki GT500

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by folmonty, Jun 28, 2019.

1. folmonty

folmonty twins make perfect moto music Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something a little different. 76 Suzuki GT500 which was a popular bike as the Titan before that. Some of the sheet metal was the same for the GT750. The fuel tank even has the cut-out for the radiator with a painted plate to cover it up. Bought this as an NOS bike about 15 years ago. Now it needs some attention to oil injection lines which have started to leak. So that's the project for now. Always fun to be playing / working on the 2 smokers.

IMG_2502.jpg
    Euromad, AtLarge, dtysdalx2 and 14 others like this.
  2. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a keeper! Great score on a great bike. How many miles on it?
  3. folmonty

Oddometer:
    PO never rode it, have only put 584 miles her. It's a time machine. Doesn't ride like most two strokes. Feels more like a cruiser with low end, not peaky.
    gen1fizzy likes this.
  4. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    What do you think about its vibration?
    Was the GT500 engine different than "Titan tune"?
    The frame looks the same.
  5. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re bringing back some very fond memories!
    sjc56 likes this.
  6. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low miles! Yup, they are torquey, but still have a good top speed. Fairly smooth too. That is a real cherry you have!
    996DL likes this.
  7. folmonty

Oddometer:
    Yup, what jimroid says. IDK how it compares to the earlier T500's but suspect it's similar.

Did you have one by chance? Had a buddy who had one that he tried to play Barry Sheene on but his was cut up into a cafe rig. Never saw many of them running around in So CA back in the day. Not really on the radar if memory serves?
  8. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, just remember seeing them in the showroom and always liked them. I was riding an RM250A along then. Hadn't been bitten by the street bug yet, that happened a few years later.
  9. rooster4321

rooster4321 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike I had a 74 gt750 water buffalo fun bike
  10. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owned a GT500A and T500M in the early eighties, the T500 was faster (in a higher state of tune) but the GT was a nicer bike to ride especially once the final gearing was lowered a couple of teeth.
    Did 45,000 miles on the GT in 3 years , eventually fitted a twin disc front end off a GT550 triple and a dresda box section swingingarm plus a set of koni rear shocks , cracking bike until the crank seals went and I was seduced by the lure of a GSX1100SZ Katana.
    GT frame is the same as the Titan one but both really needed bracing around the swiingarm pivot plate and a cross brace from it to the main top frame rail behind the side panels
  11. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    My '72 Titan
    [​IMG]
    As purchased in '95 @ $200.
    The wife learned on it & rode it a few years.
    It vibrated twice as much as my '74 TS250! :-)
    jethrocephus, folmonty and Bucho like this.
  12. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Source an oem factory manual and it'll list a minimum to maximum torque value for the rubber sleeved motor mounts, torque them to the minimum stated torque specs and it works a charm in regards to vibration suppression.

Beware an easy to make mistake when changing the transmission oil, besides the actual factory drain plug, there's two other plugs that can be removed. One is a spring loaded detent and the other a locating pin, both having to do with the transmission's shifter drum.

If they're reversed the shifter drum will float about and cause excessive trans wear, EASY to take a flashlight and verify the correct placement of these two CRUCIAL components.

Bought a mint low mileage GT500 for a girlfriend back in the early 80's, noted a gear whine in 5th on the highway and found the previous owner had reversed the two above mentioned items, lots of trans particulate found on draining the oil and followed by a complete teardown and rebuild by myself.

Having owned two 1973 T500's back in the 70's, when I heard the gear whine on the highway, I basically knew in my gut what had happened. :bluduh

Congratulations folmonty on your minty survivor ! :raabia

996DL
  13. folmonty

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight! Working on different bikes it's easy to get complacent thinking everything is the same or similar to another. Do have some decent documentation and manuals on the 500. Even found a few manufacture bulletins that are pretty interesting for the time. Always great to hear from others about their experiences with these old bikes. They sure do bring back lots of fond memories.

As a side note; was looking for a few bits to replace or have a back-up on the GT. For shits and giggles went on BikeBandit.com and found the parts. Don't have them yet but find it amazing they can supply anything along with the schematics! eBay has gotten so expensive it's a last resort anymore. We'll see what they end up sending?

If anyone has any experience with taking the oil injection lines apart and resealing them I'd love to hear how you accomplished it?
    996DL likes this.
  14. folmonty

Oddometer:
    FB218FE7-8070-4D1A-8562-925BFF649109.jpeg Kind of interesting, effects of 43 year old brake fluid. That cylinder piston is nasty! Fortunately was able to source master cylinder rebuild kit but wasn’t sure so taking it apart carefully in case the original parts were required for reuse. Feels like being a surgeon when working on these old bikes.
    Bucho likes this.
  15. johnbrown

johnbrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 76 GT500, was having a brake issue, the brake was starting to push the lever all the way out and started applying the brake, ordered the wrong master cylinder rebuild kit, thought is was nissan, (wasted $100.00 ), i also have the one in the picture. so i took all apart, also took picture so i could put it back together the way it came out! cleaned everything up, lots of tiny holes clogged, lost the snap ring, ordered replacement (got a few) brakes now work as they should. the only thing i used from the kit was the rubber o ring for the plastic cup......... it really is a fun, pretty simple 2 stroke bike.

Attached Files:

aptbldr likes this.
  16. folmonty

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful example! Still haven't finished the brakes here. Other stuff took priority but it's back on the rack. Was able to save the brake hoses (hoping anyway) by running a wire through them individually then followed by air pressure. That made quite a mess. Agree that getting parts is hit and miss. You found out about the two different master cylinders. Suppose something from another bike could be adopted to these but original bikes are nice to keep that way if possible. Glad you got things sorted out. :clap
  17. johnbrown

johnbrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does anyone have a picture -either of the underside of bike or from a manual(which i don't have yet) that shows which bolts are the correct one's to remove for a proper oil change? 1976 GT500....
  18. folmonty

Oddometer:
    JB - I've got a manual and some assorted files on the bike collected over time. Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward what I've got.
  19. johnbrown

johnbrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Thanks, i didn't see how to PM, so my e-mail is mikeeich@epix.net , I appreciate, after all i have read i want to only remove the proper drain bolts!! Mike (i am working on picking up an original manual on e-bay, just have not done it yet)
  20. johnbrown

johnbrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got part one, thanks so much!!