suzuki oil pump issue

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Vintagewannabe, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Vintagewannabe

Vintagewannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a ts185 that I recently bought, and am having issues with the oil pump.
    I dont know if this was an existing issue before, but I removed the supply line to change it, changed the oil pump gasket, and now I cant get rid of air in one of the lines. If you are looking down on the engine, it is the line to the right. I have bled the pump, and pushed oil into the lines multiple times, but every time I start the bike, the line gets a ton of air, while the left one has none. I also pulled the line and it doesnt seem to have any breaks or leaks.
    what do I need to do? is my pump working properly? or am I doing something wrong?
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Click me and contact the user named Arrow. He rebuilds two stroke oil pumps. Located in the UK but it's worth the expense. If a new oil pump is available they run in the $400 neighborhood.
  3. Vintagewannabe

Oddometer:
    well the weird thing is that I rode the crap out of it before I got it home and noticed this
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's not causing issues...if it ain't 'broke. If you have a manual there's probably a test for pump output in there.

I installed clear yellow oil lines on my RZ350 and air bubbles were present most of the time yet no problems over the years. I took the term "ton of air" literally. Are we talking 1/4-1/2 inch gaps in flow? Post a photo if you can. Some air will always happen with a worm drive gravity fed pump. Nature of the beast. Does it smoke at start up? I think you're just now seeing something that's always been there but hidden from view.
  5. Vintagewannabe

Oddometer:
    yeah, youre exactly right when you say ton of air. but I tried the trick where you spin up the pump to push oil through and got solid oil all through the lines, then when I started it, its back to the bubbles. and it smokes pretty good. I guess I'll take it for a ride and see what happens
  6. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Do you know the air bubbles come from the pump and not backwards from the left crank bearing?
    Could be the crank seals let air leak back up the oil line?
    spokester likes this.
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had forgotten Susuki's system is positive to the crank bearings. Since my experience with Suzuki's positive crankcase lubrication systems is virtually non-existant I'll have to pass on to someone with more knowledge.
  8. Jay_In_Milpitas

Jay_In_Milpitas Zero to sixty in February

Oddometer:
    Yes, on the singles it's one oil line to the left crank main bearing (which feeds the rod big end via a catch disc) and one to the intake port to lube the piston skirt. The right side main bearing is lubed by trans oil.
  9. Vintagewannabe

Oddometer:
    I pupled the cover off yet again and discovered that the fitting on the right side has a huge crack in it that was not there before. Does anyone know which one is line a and which is line b?