Suzuki TC100 Oil Pump Question

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Irish John, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Irish John

Irish John Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lawrence, KS but I'd rather be in Ireland
    I am restoring a 1974 Suzuki TC100. It's pretty much done but I can't get the oil injection pump to work. It appears the pump is inside the crank case. I really don't want to have to do a complete engine disassembly. Can I just bypass it and run pre-mix?
  2. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Yes, but run your ratio a bit richer. Say if you were running 50:1, go to 40:1. It will lube your bearings. Believe it or not that was Suzuki's original intent beside the obvious - mixing your gas and oil.:D
  3. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  4. Duck_Pilot

Duck_Pilot Retired Roadracer

Oddometer:
    First, check tour parts breakdown, to see of yer crank bearings have 'shrouds' or 'slingers' cupping them. If so, don't premix, because the oil won't reach the bearings properly. If you DO premix, fatten yer jetting a bit - because you'll be pulling oil through the jets, and will run lean on fuel.

I'll look at an exploded view of yer crank tonight, and post an answer for ya.
  5. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Thanks Duck Pilot

How do yo tell if the bearings are shrouded or cupped? I looked at a diagram but can't tell
  6. Duck_Pilot

Oddometer:
    http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1974/TC100/PISTON+-+CRANKSHAFT/parts.html

Your engine has 'slingers'.... #14 on the generator side, and #18 on the primary-drive side. Because this is a disc-valve engine, I'd suggest leaving the crank alone if you can..... just replace the crank seals if you are already there.

Here's the breakdown of your oil pump:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/1974/TC100/OIL+PUMP/parts.html

I don't see it marked as such, but there should be a bleed-screw on the pump somewhere, that will allow you to get fresh oil from the tank to the pump. Start at the 'banjo' bolt on the pump, going up to the oil tank. Break it loose gently, and let it dribble a bit of fresh injector oil from there. Then use the 'bleeder' screw to prime the pump, by the same method. Pull-up the cabled arm, and block it at full-tilt. Then fire-up the engine to idle with a small bit of fresh premix (same oil as in the tank) and watch the oil lines to see if they are flowing........ and if the lines are damaged/leaking.

There's a start for ya. Let us know how it's going, and ask for help if ya need more.......... usually payable in beers and pizza. :freaky
  7. Irish John

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the help and will follow up on the pump. Trying to understand why premix would not work. I've run premix in 2 strokes for years. What makes the TC100 different?
  8. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    Hey there,
    I have a TC 185 and have been told by various owners and mechanics that the Suzuki TC and TS series must have the injector. From what I've learned, it directly lubricates the crank bearings and premix will not be adequate.

Edit: the Suzukits website is a pretty good place for info. Mostly AU and NZ guys, but they are pretty responsive with questions. Found this

http://suzukits.informe.com/forum/tech-repair-fixing-f8/disabling-oil-injector-t835.html

hope that helps
  9. nate25tenn

nate25tenn n00b

Oddometer:
    Don't want to run premix. The injection has baffling to aim the oil in certain spots. Side effect of this it blocks premix getting in there. I have a TS100 (same engine, different transmission). Best to sort out the oil pump.
  10. Rizingson

Rizingson Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    Suzuki CCI injection system should never be disabled, because it feeds the crank bearings first than mists the cylinder wall. Engine will be damaged by running premix only.
  11. TheRadBaron

TheRadBaron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the previous posts about oil-injected Suzukis generally not being able to use premix. Most Kawasakis are the same. I've seen a lot of them damaged due to owners doing away with the injection and using premix.
    All of the '70s Yamahas that I've worked on are able to use premix since the oil injection only goes into the intake tract and the crank bearings are lubed in the conventional way.
    I have a '72 Suzuki TS125 that had a non-functioning oil pump when I got it. If I remember correctly, this type of pump has a piston that is pushed up mechanically and goes back down under spring pressure. Some water had gotten into the pump and caused corrosion that prevented the piston from moving back down under the spring. I wasn't able to fix it so I found an ebay replacement.
    I know the TC100 is a different type of motor but the pump might be similar. Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like a very similar setup to my TS125. You shouldn't have to do any major disassembly to remove the pump. It's under a stamped steel cover and once you remove the cover there should just be two small screws or bolts holding the oil pump onto the block. Your pump might just need to be bled or flushed out with a solvent.
    If you need to replace it, a search shows that the same pump was used on the 73-77 TC100 and 73-77 TS100.
  12. Irish John

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's help. Still trying to get the pump bled to fill the lower lines to the crank.
  13. Duck_Pilot

Oddometer:
    Have you tried pulling up that mixture arm on the pump yet? If the pump is working, it won't move much oil at the idle setting. Block it at full-tilt, and see if there's a change.
  14. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:

If it looks anything like the one on my Stinger, there is a bleed hole.

[​IMG]

Take the top center screw out, use a squirt can with two stroke oil and pump through the passage to get all the air out.
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Digging up an old thread....

I bought the wife a TS100 about 30 years ago....it has been sitting for the last 20 give or take. Now I have a wild hair to get it going again...it is a cute little bike.

Good news is the tank looks perfect, I must have drained the fuel before parking it....and it does turn over.

Going to be looking at the oil injection pump in the morning and see what is up there.....there was a mouse house under the seat, need to take care of that first.

I will try to post up a pic tomorrow.....I was amazed under all the dirt and dust the old gal cleaned up pretty nice.
    Dansrc51 likes this.