1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Suzuki TL1000R resurrection and rebuild

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by aaronric, Dec 16, 2019.

1. aaronric

aaronric I came to get down

Oddometer:
    IMG-1942.jpg

This build is a family affair and a tribute to my brother-in-law, Dan, who was killed nine years ago on the wrecked TL you see in these pictures. My wife and I will be working on the bikes with Bee Johnson, our dear friend, trusted technician and Dan’s motorcycling mentor.

IMG-1952.jpg

The idea is to get a running Suzuki TL1000R together and registered by summer/early fall of 2020, and then pick trick parts off the wrecked bike to make it into something truly special. It’s going to be a long road from here to there. At present, we have a rolling engine and chassis, the destroyed hulk of Dan’s TL, and enough spare parts to keep us moving for decades.
    IMG-1950.jpg

Both engines have compression, so the next step is to begin assembling the rolling chassis. We bought an ECU, but we still need an exhaust and a complete airbox.
    IMG-2009.jpg
    The complete chassis is a 1999 Suzuki TL1000R that Dan bought as a parts bike or track rat not long before he passed away. The wreck is his beloved 2002 Suzuki TL1000R that he bought from Army of Darkness Racing when they were done making contingency money with it. Shockingly, the engine appears to have been spared severe damage, but will need a thorough cleaning and going over before it runs. The rear of the bike is almost unscathed, with the Penske reservoir shock and custom linkage fully intact. The rear wheel turns as if it was parked yesterday, and the brake still works.
    IMG-1989.jpg
    Once the rolling chassis is a complete bike, we’ll turn our attention to getting the balanced and blueprinted Army of Darkness mill ready to go. We’ll also send the shock out for a once over and a service, so we can toss the stock rotary damper.
    IMG-1959.jpg
    That’s a long first post, but there’s a lot to cover. The pictures should give you the best idea of where we are. I’ll update here with progress, problems and frustrations. Thanks for following along!
    IMG-1954.jpg
    IMG-1953.jpg
    IMG-1951.jpg

Attached Files:

2. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I always loved those bikes.

They sounded great both on the throttle and off.
    Need For Speed and aaronric like this.
  3. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    :stupid

I had a yellow/Black '02, that thing made beautiful music out of the dual D&D full exhaust.

Watch out for some wonky factory wiring, there's lots of info out there about that.

I will be watching this thread for updates!
    aaronric likes this.
  4. aaronric

Oddometer:
    I have been trawling TLZone for info on the wiring. In the maintenance log that Dan kept there is a list of wiring projects circled with "NOT DONE. ALL STUPID!" written next to it. So, suffice to say I'm reasonably sure that will be our biggest hitch. Thanks for following!
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Here's my '97 S before/after pictures provided for inspiration during your project:

Roach Zuki.JPG TL Done.JPG TL after pic.JPG
    aaronric likes this.
  6. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    If we're going to do that:

20141107_101725.jpg 20141107_102440.jpg
    Fubars and aaronric like this.
  7. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be following alone and I wish you all the best with your project. And since some have left pictures of their own TL for inspiration I'll add my 2000.

[​IMG]
  8. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the inspiration, guys. There are some truly pretty bikes here! It's looking like we're going to go with yellow, 2000-style.
    Need For Speed likes this.
  9. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    We had to pile on. These bikes aren't discussed very much here. BTW, there's a few Facebook TL groups and those guys post up parts for sale when need be.
    aaronric likes this.
  10. markturbo

markturbo n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your build, I'll be following along.
    aaronric likes this.
  11. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 97 TL 1000S and almost immediately put an Ohlins on the rear. I have the original rotary damper in perfect shape if its needed.
    aaronric likes this.
  12. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I bet there are a lot of new condition stock rotary damper sitting on dusty shelves.
    I remember when that bike first came out with that shock...made me think of all the worn out British dampers, and thought " Why ? ".
    Kind of think the FI was not so red hot off throttle coming down mountain passes...herky / jerky....on / off was not a pleasant thing.
    My buds TL did not last long in his line up.
  13. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2002 TLR as well, yellow, that I raced. As hard as I tried, I could never get it to turn in correctly, and the rear shock would fade as it built up heat, with each passing lap. I loved that bike, more than anything... I just could never get it to work for me on the race track. I did the Penske conversion, and still could not get on with it. I transitioned to an Aprilia RSV, but kept my beloved TLR until someone broke into my storage unit and stole it, along with my tire warmers, track tool box, extra wheels, etc.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Brother's passing, but this is a remarkable tribute to him. The TL has a soul all on it's own. I even tried to get on with my SV1KS, but it just did not have the soul that the TLR had.

I will be watching this closely. I'm trying to talk my wife into agreeing with me that I can find a nice TLR, and do the same. I'd love to have another, just for nostalgia's sake.

Can't wait to hear this bike purr... or, THUMP!

Cheers,

Darren
    aaronric likes this.
  14. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have two springs (including one on the bike) and the original damper, which all seem to be working OK. The big question is the Penske setup on the wrecked bike. I need to pull it and send it back to Traxxion Dynamics to see if it can be saved.
  15. tsjoe

tsjoe Biker grandpa

Oddometer:
    If you have any questions during the rebuild ... I completely overhauled a 1999 TLS and a 1998 TLR (and a 1999 VFR800Fi).
    These are my beauties

[​IMG]

Succes with your project !
    ishmac, dwdantzler, sperz1 and 3 others like this.
  16. StevieMac

StevieMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ WOW!
  17. aaronric

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I will have questions! I have a '97 VFR 750 as my everyday ride. Not a bad combo.
  18. tsjoe

tsjoe Biker grandpa

Oddometer:
    And some xtra's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ishmac and StevieMac like this.
  19. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved my TL especially after I did some modifying to the fr fairing to mount regular top mount bars. A Corbin seat and a Double Bubble screen and it was a fantastic sport-tourer. Had it 13 yrs and over 80,000 miles waiting for stupid Suzuki to update but all we got was a watered down SV and the Strom. Finally gave up and bought a Tuono V2
  20. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer: