1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Suzuki TL1000R resurrection and rebuild

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by aaronric, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It's actually Krylon Satin Black. I had a project TDM project bike that came with spares. When I sold it, I held onto the spare fairing and bracket. Kinda glad I did since the TL didn't come with the stocker. But I did my second track day last month, and I was wanting the stock bars afterwards. So I've been getting parts together the past few weeks. Black fairing.JPG Black.JPG

Yeah, that clutch cable is a bit too long.

I'm sure that Traxxion can freshen up that Penske.

Someone on TLZone posted this link:

http://www.venold.com/tl1000s/articles/unfinished_business.html

Great read when you have the time.
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  2. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine with the high mount bars. IMG_4868.JPG
    StevieMac likes this.
  3. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I have my stock bars lying around.
  4. Fubars

Oddometer:
    Always liked the green paint on the '97's. Did you do that 2-into-1 yourself? Doesn't that horn get cooked on the motor?
  5. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Its an M4 2 into 1 pipe that I fitted the Akropovic silencer onto to try to quiet it down a bit. The stock horn was shit almost from the beginning and that one worked in fits....sometimes it did sometimes it didn't. One hell of a bike that I hated to sell and I'll be honest. I replaced it with a Tuono V2 and all things considered ,the TL was a better motor. The Aprilia is a lot more refined than the Suzuki but its also a lot newer. If they wouldn't have thrown in the towel on the TL series and simply did incremental improvements they'd have had a winner in their lineup for many years.
  6. Fubars

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I like how you reversed the fairing stay to clear the new bars. How did you mount the aftermarket steering damper on the top clamp?
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion, see if you can find a 2014+ DL1000 front end. Inverted forks and actually quite good ones. As noted, put a 17" front on (known to work), raise the forks in the triple clamps and you have something quite a bit more capable than the original.
  8. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    On the fairing stays the left one became the right one and vice versa only they were bent a little differently and flipped upside down and the cross support bar removed. The steering damper mounted with parts I custom made that I wish I could find pics of to show you.
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add me to the "never got it to feel right, but absolutely loved my TLR for some reason" group.

I'll be watching!

[​IMG]
    JimRidesThis and Twinguy like this.
  10. tsjoe

tsjoe Biker grandpa

Oddometer:
    O yes, I love them :raabia
    They are great to look at, easy to work on, strong, powerful yes even in these days.
    The Yoshi's tri oval on the tlr and the leovince's on tle tls are so loud that many heads turn when I pass by.
    And since were talking of bikes from +20 y ago, the taxes and insurance are very low, as the prices of the bikes are too. Everytime I go riding I'm the one with a smile on my face till behind mij ears. In spring I'm gonna change the brake lines en swap the awfel 6-pot Tokico's with the Nissin 4-pots. Should be much much better.
  11. aaronric

aaronric I came to get down

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the well-wishes and positive responses! Holidays being holidays, I haven't been able to cram in as much build as I would have liked, but just to keep everyone interested, I'll share what I have been able to get moving on.

Since I last checked in I have signed up with the TL1000 R/S Fanatics group on Facebook and become a site supporter over at TL Planet, which has been a great resource so far. Sadly, there just aren't as many active members over there as there once were, but the old forums have been a goldmine so far. It will be especially helpful when it comes time to tackle the TL's notoriously brittle electrics. I also got a lead on a complete airbox and some exhaust parts from their classifieds, which is even better.

After the day we compression tested, I went through our parts bins and laid out the stuff that I want to use on the bike on a dropcloth. It's not a compact setup, but it keeps everything where I can see it and helps organize in my head where things should go.

Including the damaged throttle bodies that came off Dan's bike, we have three sets of throttle bodies and injectors, so today I spent some time picking the one that opened and closed the smoothest and cleaned the bores with some brake cleaner. Once that was done, I hooked up the vacuum hoses and fuel feed and return lines. With that done, we have close to a full fuel and evap system. The pump assembly needs a good cleaning, but it's complete.

IMG-2045.jpg

IMG-2054.jpg

Today's other victory was to get a second footpeg mounted, which isn't at all necessary at this stage of the project, but it does allow me to sit on the bike and make engine noises. This is vital.

IMG-2058.jpg

As I was going through the parts bins, I found a Brembo radial brake master cylinder and lever attached to a set of stainless steel brake lines and gold Tokico calipers. There's also a set of black GSXR (I think) wheels wearing massive Brembo rotors. All of this stuff is going on. The calipers could use paint, but everything else looks ready-to-use. There's also a clutch lever, master cylinder and slave cylinder setup, but the slave appears to be toast. The parts bin did come with a new clutch line.

IMG-2059.jpg

The wiring harness on the bike is complete, though the ECU was long gone, but I was able to snag one from eBay for $150. At this point, the biggest missing pieces are a complete airbox and the exhaust. I bought a set of stock cans from Facebook Marketplace, but haven't found the right used pipes yet.

It might not look like much, but with everything lying out like this, I can really start to rationalize what needs done and when. More importantly, it feels way less daunting to accomplish. I'm sure that will change as we go on, but for now the piss and vinegar level is high.

The next update, I promise, will feature a motorcycle that looks a whole lot more like a motorcycle. With a headlight and radiators and stuff in place, it will be almost time to go back to our sister-in-laws to grab the bodywork and tank. One day at a time till then.

IMG-2063.jpg

IMG-2057.jpg
    IMG-2053.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Fubars

Oddometer:
    If you haven't got a factory service manual yet, I highly suggest you get one only for sorting the electrics. Last owner of my bike let it sit outside for a long time. The plastic fuel pump relay connector dried up from UV exposure, and I had fun with repairing that. Manual also helps routing hoses and cable properly. That radial M/C looks pretty cool already.

Photobucket really jammed the two TL forums when all the pictures got wiped out.
    aaronric likes this.
  13. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Thankfully, we have a service manual in a three-ring binder, so we should have all the documentation we need on that front. Trick now is to take things slowly and not get too excited and force something.
  14. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of the original members are elderly now.

There is nothing wrong with the electrics but the earth system is base line.
    All you have to do is make sure what is there is in 'tip top condition and add the JarkkoT + mod. ( I added the headlight out at start SteveTLS relay mod also)
    Never missed a beat rain or shine, night or day.

I remember Dan (N) ... Gone but not forgotten.

If you need pics I have 'thousands from the early TLZone and Planet days... 2003 to 2007.

A5.JPG A9.JPG IN2 (Small).JPG IN3 (Small).JPG Loom1.JPG Loom2.JPG Loom3.JPG TOS2.JPG plusmod2.jpg
    scot_douglas, aaronric and BikePilot like this.
  15. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are screwing around with the fuel pump out of the bike, consider using high quality Gates submersible hose in place of the fuel filter so you can install one outside of the fuel tank.
    aaronric and BikePilot like this.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADV8 is the man for TLs! I've been riding a TL since 2000 and active in the various communities since the blue board days as well. Post up with any questions and we will have you covered.

Imo the nicest exhaust that's readily available is the Akra system. Great appearence, sound and power.
    aaronric likes this.
  17. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the responses, guys! People who know their stuff are really coming out of the woodwork to offer advice, it's really inspiring. @ADV8, I will bother you mercilessly via PM as we get into the wiring. The + mod seems like a must-do.

@BikePilot: Dan had an Akra system on his TL, but the only piece that survived the wreck is the complicated joint that sits under the oil pan. It's beautiful, but I don't have the scratch right now to pull together the rest of that system. For now, I'm looking for a stock exhaust system just to get the bike up and running. Once that is taken care of, I will go scouring for better parts.
    BikePilot likes this.
  18. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    This has been a long time coming. Thankful for you and Bee to help make this happen. Can't wait to hear it sing again.
    aaronric likes this.
  19. Fubars

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my Voltage regulator (Yamaha R1/ moffset) while I was cleaning my project up. Then someone on those forums mentioned that the U.K Suzuki's have an on/off switch for the lighting. I found a right hand switch gear assembly on ebay uk for a GSXR. Plug and play into the stock harness. It's nice to have all the battery juice going straight to the starter motor on a cold start.

There's videos on Youtube for cleaning the fuel injectors. I didn't want buy new ones even though I knew the original were clogged up with dried gas.
    aaronric likes this.
  20. aaronric

Oddometer:
    All right, folks, it's Dear Abby time. Or Hints from Heloise. Or ... Tips from Timmy. Or, uh ... Whatever. What my strained analogy is getting at is this: I'm stuck between two options and I want an opinion or five.

The TL Parts Pileā„¢ contains new hydraulic lines for the stock TL1000R hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, but the slave cylinder itself, and maybe the master, are tired. I tried to bleed them the system the other day and it was clear it was sucking in as much air as it was purging. Parts to do the rebuild are like $100 on Ron Ayers, which isn't bad if you say it fast. It's not beyond me to do, either. Just another step.

Meanwhile, Dan's wrecked TL had been converted over to a cable setup from a TL1000S, and while dirty, the parts are all there and everything moves when you pull the cable. All I'd need is a perch for a cable clutch lever and a new cable. At this point, it's six to one, half dozen the other in my mind. Having never ridden either persuasion of TL, I have no idea which setup is preferable, though I imagine the R had the hydro setup to keep riders from bitching about the heavier clutch springs the more powerful mill probably required.

Soooooooo ... What would you all go for? Why?