1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slowly making some progress.

First of all, some cleaning was in order and I didn't stop with just the engine. Since I was cleaning the pool deck I gave the frame a good going over too, being careful around the swingarm bearings and the triple tree.
    [​IMG]

I got the bolts out that I could with the impact driver and just drilled the heads off of the rest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got the chance to break out the Tusk case splitter tool.:clap
    I alternated sides a couple of times until it broke loose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This, as I mentioned earlier, is the scary part for me.
    [​IMG]
    aptbldr and Bucho like this.
  2. ausfahrt

ausfahrt mach schnell Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have got to admit I was hoping that something glaringly obvious that even I could see would be revealed but that is not the case. The engine spins fine by hand but doesn't seem to shift right. At one point the engine would only make a half rotation and then lock up but now I can't seem to be able to replicate that. Here are some pics......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spo123 likes this.
  3. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    The early TS185 was much LIGHTER and a smaller frame size (same as TS125) than the TS250.
    Lots of fun in the tight woods trails of New England.
    I still have mine.....I laced up a 21" front rim to the stock hub and this mod really allowed me to throw the bike over rocks, logs, and even small animals......especially when I was riding bitch and allowed my friend to pilot us back to his house.
    His neighbor's dog paced us along the road before his house and then we slammed into it......Horrified, I turned around and saw the hound upside down three feet in the air! Oh shit.....dropped him home and I got the FCK out of there asap.
    I got home and his mom was calling me, yelling about ME running over their neighbor's dog.....WTF!?!.....In the background, I heard my buddy telling his mom that it was him and NOT me......That phone slammed down, I swear that I could hear it three miles away.
    The dog lived and was OK.....so please do not worry that we killed the beast....HAHA!
    Anyway, still have the bike....Don Vesco skinny/fat desert tank, Full Bore knobbies, Preston Petty Mudder fenders, whatever expansion chamber was on it when I bought it and my added Super Trapp silencer/ spark arrestor, cleated pegs, metal dog leg levers, mini rubber mounted enduro tail light....ripped out the optional blinker wiringg, etc......Ran great with NO BATTERY.......diagonal filed slots in the brake shoes, cables from the front frame to the brake and shift pedals.....Whatever else, I don't recall.
    GREAT BIKE......I would have preferred the TS250, however....too expensive at the time....
    FUN FUN FUN
  4. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Here's my TS
    [​IMG]

TS and an XL huddle together, sad & unattended.
    [​IMG]
    slideways and mtnmaniac like this.
  5. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    That was why the factory hop up kit turned the 185 into a 175.
  6. mspa

mspa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed some pics online of TS185's (amongst other TS models) that have taller rear tires. Is there a general consensus that the stock tires are best for general around town and occasional trail riding? I'm out in central OR where there are plenty of trails, that would be fun, but if putting a bigger tire on the rear helps with in town riding or trails, it would be good to know. Is there a benefit to slightly taller rear tires?

TS-rear-tire-1.jpg

TS-rear tire.jpg
  7. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    The stock, factory shocks suck.
    You seem to be talking about the difference between a KNOBBY and a UNIVERSAL rear tire.
    The knobby is designed for the DIRT.
    The universal is designed as a compromise between the street and the dirt.......Big difference.
    The silver 185, above has a 21" front wheel......stock.....also on the 250 was 19".
  8. mspa

mspa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying that spo123.
  9. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my 1974 TS250 savage, may be you guys can tell me about it. Last ridden to work today.

Attached Files:

spo123, aptbldr and mtnmaniac like this.
  10. mspa

mspa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is one in Oregon I've got my eye on. From what I've read, they are good bikes. You might think about getting a fork brace. I have seen those used and had one on my TS100 when I was a kid.
    Twnspin likes this.
  11. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The old forum has issues that can not be fixed by admin. New replacement forum has been created here which also does not have the bugs that the old one had.
    https://suzukitstctm.freeforums.net/
  12. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    TS250 was the first Brand New Bike I ever bought.
    slideways and JB™ like this.
  13. traffic.cones

traffic.cones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Earlier this summer I brought it out to ride after winter. Was running good untill of a sudden it just died. It still has spark and it's getting fuel, it will just backfire horribly or run for a few seconds then die. I was messing with it today and cleaned the carb and same thing. Any ideas what it could be?
  14. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check and see if your spark arrestor is clogged.
  15. traffic.cones

traffic.cones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I remember right it's just a bolt on the muffler then it slides out?
  16. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what my memory says too. It’s been quite awhile since mine was removed.
  17. traffic.cones

traffic.cones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't make a difference. I'm might check the compression to see what it's at.
  18. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Oil bled/leaked into crankcase while setting, now fouling plug?
  19. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one of these.

Quite advanced for its day.

[​IMG]
  20. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure your rotor didn’t slip on the crank. Pull the rotor, look closely at the woodruff key - if the rotor came loose, they can shear and throw your ignition timing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk