1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    Pull the sparkplug, kick the motor over a dozen times to dry it out. Put in a new sparkplug and see what happens.
  2. traffic.cones

traffic.cones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be, although it mostly leaks onto the ground.

I'll check that.

Think it's more than just flooded. New plug wouldn't hurt though.
  3. How much air is in that fuel it's getting?
  4. traffic.cones

traffic.cones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whatever the supplier put in the 91 octane.
  5. All fuel, no air makes a dull bike.
  6. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sooo... I swapped the engine from my 74 ts250 for a "known" good engine, because the clutch was slipping ...and I was going to rebuild the original. I had riden this bike with the known good engine in it and everything worked and ran fine. Upon reassembly I cannot get the bike in first gear. All the way down seems to stop as if it's in, but it rolls free. Pull up to 2nd and it's locked in gear.

I pulled the wet cover off and verified the shift rod and spring where installed correctly, all seems free but no first? Any ideas??
  7. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I decided to fill the trans and run it to see what happens. It has only neutral and second gear. Will not go up or down from there. Just hits the end of lever travel ...and nothing happens. Any one out there deal with this on anything similar before?
  8. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Is the detent spring and ball in place (looks like a drain plug on the bottom of the motor)
  9. Twnspin

Twnspin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. I ended up taking the clutch off and found I must have let the shifter "gear" slip from the shift drum mechanism. It was clocked one tooth up from center on the drum side, allowing to only catch 1 position up or down. After reinstalling all seems good now.
    PFFOG likes this.
  10. 85 Tenure TT

85 Tenure TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Evening all. Pick up a pair of basket case ‘74 TS185s off craigslist for $100 a couple days ago. The Orange one will be the keeper, less rot, and should have enough parts between the two to make a good bike. Both engines are a bit tough to turn over but luckily were stored under cover and the guy put a little oil in the cylinders before he stored um. Will free um up and see what we get for compression then move on to the rebuild. Never had one of these and they seem like a great, simple bike. Will keep y’all posted. Cheers 625D58F6-38D5-49BE-A710-F69EBBAD3C53.jpeg 11A03AD0-F69B-4543-ABEF-0A8EF1C190A7.jpeg
    spo123, spokester, aptbldr and 3 others like this.
  11. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good score! I saw those over in Alsea and was tempted, but I’ve got too many projects as it is. Glad they went to a good home!
  12. 85 Tenure TT

85 Tenure TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones. Where are you outa?
  13. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Green thumbed fool

Oddometer:
    Heh, glad I found this thread. This is sitting in my basement awaiting winter's end. It needs a good goin thru again as it hasn't been used in about 10 years. It was bought to teach my sons to ride back in the early 2000's for a couple hundred bucks running and just over 1000 miles on the odo. I replaced the ignition switch, a fresh battery and a bit of general maintenance over the years since.

DSCF0243.JPG

All cleaned up and running after purchase.

IMG00024.jpg

From the CL ad that set the hook in me. :lol3

Needs a side cover, the exhaust de-rusted and coated and some general clean up again. I have a proper rear fender sitting in storage for the re-fit.
    spokester likes this.
  14. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over the hill in Bend. I ride with no fewer than 5 other guys with TS/TC’s. Reliving those early days of our youth, when those bikes were brand new, is a hoot!

IMG_3793.jpg
    spo123, gt750, spokester and 3 others like this.
  15. 85 Tenure TT

85 Tenure TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother lives in bend. Next ride I do with him out there we’ll see if y’all are up for an outing. If you find any parts you don’t need let me know, I have a list going already for the 74
  16. 85 Tenure TT

85 Tenure TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    716BC69F-3E8B-46BD-9CCF-7692A181D86E.jpeg 86AC7052-ECAC-4ED5-869D-EAAAAFC6B587.jpeg Alright so I got one engine freed up (soaked top end in sea foam overnight and gave a few swift kicks) After cycling it for a few minutes with plug out did a compression test and it came out at 110psi! Top end showed just serface rust on the rings and cylinder. After draining/a bunch of powerwashing/sandblasting/scraping/
    polishing/painting/and beer drinking... engine and carb are throughly cleaned inside and out and clutch has been cleaned in kerosene and put back together. Top end is all polished up inside too. Next I move onto suspension.
  17. 85 Tenure TT

85 Tenure TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Suspension and triple/controls done. Looking to order the new body stuff. Question I have for anyone, will 71/72 front and rear fenders fit on a 74. Or does anyone have body parts they wanna sell me. 65C52552-AA51-48C1-B4C9-DB4BFCA6E961.jpeg 1E9C9421-975C-47C7-8F98-21B0B9D4E1B5.jpeg
  18. HMP

HMP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at a 74 ts100, just like I had a pre-teen.
    Question - what would one of these, realistically, do on the highway? 50mph? 60?
    Any way of getting a few more hp out of these?
    Any engine swaps that are pretty straight forward/easy?
  19. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 125 is starting to come around. I ended up buying a pretty complete parts bike for $100, robbed it of pretty much everything suspension wise, engine was complete so I swapped that over as well after getting it to sort-of run. This one is going to end up dirt only since most of the street gear was already gone from both bikes. May try my hand at the local vintage MX races if I get it working well. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Brtp4, aptbldr, travlin and 1 other person like this.
  20. b56tc

b56tc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It appears this thread is still active and monitored - can you help a restoration noob out - where to source a owner's manual, FSM, parts outlet for a '74 TS 185?

thank you. Reading this forum has inspired me - I've had this one since new but it has been sitting since 1978 - about 2,000 mi on it - I'm committed to seeing it move again on its own power