Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets revive this thread. Just picked up a 1974 TS185 that a crackhead had customized by painting EVERYTHING with black spray paint.
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need pics of bike and crackhead!
    ausfahrt likes this.
  3. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Acetone, N-Methyl 2-Pyrrolidone, Propellant
  4. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, but be careful and use it in a WELL ventilated area.
  5. chardog1971

chardog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up an 80 TS185. My lady and I rode it all over the logging roads of SW MT. I'm going to teach her to ride on it. Starts right up and is easy to ride. Needs a few things but pretty solid. Loud though. I'm pretty sure I need a new gasket at the head. Smoky as all get out when you first start it up. Had to switch out bars as the PO must have dropped it or crashed. Had this aluminum pair laying around. kinda cafe style narrow. I poached the non factory turn signals for another bike so, no longer street legal with out using hand signals. They didn't blink anyway, even with a new battery. 20200820_123224.jpg
    Pezz_gs, mtnmaniac, riiv and 5 others like this.
  6. Alfadave

Alfadave n00b

Oddometer:
    My 1973 TS185, is licensed for driving on the street if i want to. By licensing it i can ride on all roads in the National Forests in Florida.
    IMG_0503.jpg
    ausfahrt, Scoozi, aptbldr and 6 others like this.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I have a small collection of parts here for a TS 250 like this. Set of forks and clamps,an engine,carb,stock pipe.
  8. chardog1971

chardog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 250 parts are different from the 185. Good to know though, thanks
    ausfahrt likes this.
  9. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a TS 185 to ride on a carrier on the back of my MH. Looks to be around 235 wet, and with a 60 pound carrier I am below 300 pounds. Pretty much all road capable 2 up. It would let us go places while the motorhome is parked without worrying about a trailer Besides, I had a 1972 TS90 in 1974 when I was 16. The baffle broke off inside the pipe. I was 16 and didn't really know what a baffle was! Caused me all kinds of grief until I figured it out and put a Hooker exhaust on it. How are the brakes?
    spo123 likes this.
  10. chardog1971

chardog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The brakes work great, especially if you don't use or need them, all the better. Seriously though they seem to work okay. I had the front wheel off to put on a new tire so, I was able to inspect the pads and drum. Both were fine. As with drum brakes in general they could be better. I havent had the need to remove the rear wheel as of yet but ,the brake works good.
    I dont recall the weight but, it rides on my cheapo HF rack just fine. I do have it set up in a way that attaches to solid tie-down points on the vehicle, which relieved a fair bit of the tounge weight. Its a great bike for that type of use for sure. I need to ride mine more
  11. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brakes are typical of the era. Dismal compared with today’s brakes but get the job done
  12. chardog1971

chardog1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just reading some of the older posts and a guy was talking about diagonally filing a notch in the brake pad surface to increase the braking power. Sintered, I think thats called. Couldn't hurt, I suppose .
    spo123 likes this.
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a 1975 3 hours away with 1,500 miles for $800 ask. Still has original tires! I guess they would be the first to go. Seal the rims and put on some tubeless dual sport tires. Are the luggage racks available out there? I would need it to mount a topcase for groceries and for my wife to have a backrest. I will need to sleep on the concept for a couple of days. In the meantime, I put Klotz in my Amazon cart.
  14. Terrabones

Terrabones Flat Strap

Oddometer:
    I loved my 185 bought it new had it for ages
    Fitted some RM 125 forks some better rear shocks
    Pulled the handle bars down low so they hit on my legs (all but stopped the tank slapping) allowed me to ride past
    flash enduro bikes , best ride was a 6th in the 24hr road trial (south australian toughest race)
    Brilliant bike easy to work on should get another one .
    Works 185.jpg
  15. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    I have a 1978 TS250, and I'm getting ready to freshen the top end. The parts fisch lists 3 different head and cylinder base gaskets as c, b, or n. Any idea how to know which one I have? There are no c,b,n letters on the frame or engine #'s. The gagglenet tells me nothing.
    SAM_4076.JPG
    mtnmaniac likes this.
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm no help.

I'm just happy to see people keeping these old bikes alive. Thank you sir!
    enduro16 and fastdadio like this.
  17. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    I think I found the answer. The letters are date codes. b=1977, c=1978, n=1979.
    Bucho likes this.
  18. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    TS250 k-L-M-A-B-1973_1977

Most of the parts are interchangeable between years. Also many of the TM 250 parts can be swapped onto the TS 250. There was also a factory hop up kit available in the early 70’s. These engines were in a very mild state of tune in stock form and responded really well to even minor modifications. Here is a very good video on rebuilding a TS 250.
    fastdadio likes this.