Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 1972 TS 90 in 1974 when I was 16.
    spo123 likes this.
  2. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Did all the TC bikes have a different transmission than the TS bikes?
    TCs had dual range right?
  3. climberdimer

climberdimer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought my TS250 new in 1974. Used it to commute 30 miles of interstate to work,
    then pulled the lights off of it and ran trials and enduros on the weekends. It was one of the best bikes that I've owned.

Ride Safe,

TaZ9
    20160822_174806-1.jpg 20160822_091208-1.jpg 20160822_091739-1.jpg
  5. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #103 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Higher Logic likes this.
  6. climberdimer

climberdimer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    lgottler’s bike was a TC, the google pic is a TC, or what is a 3rd option. Not sure I follow you Miguel. I couldn’t d’load the photo he’d sent.
  7. Miguel Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It is a TC. There was mention of a TS185 with a dual range transmission, which is not correct - it is a TC.
    zone47 likes this.
  8. Spirit1dog

Spirit1dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hoping someone here can help. Rebuilding a '72 TS185 very complete bike. One of the oil injection lines is broken and looking for a replacement or a shop that can build a couple of new ones. I don't want to go the premix route since the oil pump still works.
  9. wfrpalm

wfrpalm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ausfahrt and slideways like this.
  10. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fix the CCI line is going to be the least painful route. They can be made to run on premix but it requires splitting the cases and removing an oil guide from the end of the crank so that oil through the intake will reach the mag side crank bearing.
  11. Spirit1dog

Spirit1dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I understand that looking for a guide to fix the oil lines. I picked up a very complete bike but time has taken its toll on some parts.
  12. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
  13. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Do you have more details on the Kawasaki piston? what year, model, capacity and any mods required to it? Thanks
  14. Miguel Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is the piston I used:

IMG_1466.jpg

Fair warning - this is a LOT of work, is not for the faint of heart or those without a strong background in machining and 2-stroke tuning, and will certainly yield an engine that could grenade at any time.

That said, it will also yield the world’s fastest TS185 without a complete engine swap...

I have since finished the expansion chamber and am running it instead of the Hooker. I still have not installed the TM250 ignition module. This bike flat hauls ass for what it is - it’s way faster than the suspension and handling permits you to ride it.

I did pick up a bit of audible detonation at partial throttle conditions, I think mostly because of excessive compression. More tinkering with the combustion chamber shape might help, as would lowering the compression some, but I’m just taking the easy way out right now and running 110 octane race fuel in the old girl...

Have fun!
    ausfahrt likes this.
  15. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. previously i had been trying to see if i could make a Yamaha CT175 piston work but theres just too many differences in the dimensions. Need to use diffeent conrod, spacer under barrel etc. I want to try this on a 77 reed valve model. So is the Kawasaki piston height the same? piston ring pins in right spot? Wiseco sell the same piston for TS185 all years 1971 onwards so your 71 uses same piston as my 77 model. I have got a NOS Torque Engineering pipe, aftermarket heads, DG reed valve and a bunch of other stuff. I am focussing on suspension first though because even the stock engine is too much for the suspension. Looking at getting 8in front and 6-7 at rear. Thats about all the stock frame can take. Limited by the relationship of the swingarm pivot to the front sprocket, although i will look at lowering the pivot slightly before making my final decision. Would be nice to get more chain clearance.

Would you have these measurements for the Kawasaki piston? Would save me buying one from USA just to measure. Thanks

Attached Files:

16. Miguel Sanchez

Oddometer:
    I don’t have those measurements handy, as the piston is inside my engine right now . The ring pins are in the correct locations, but the piston crown height is different - this is why I machined the base of my cylinder and set it deeper into the cases.
  17. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks looks like i might have to by one to check out. I wonder how much different it is?

Ok just found some specs

B
    TS - 75mm
    Kawa - 70mm

D
    TS - 24mm
    Kawa -23mm

G
    TS -20.7mm
    Kawa - 23mm

E & F
    TS - 16mm
    Kawa - not listed.

piston pins both 16mm

So Kawasaki piston 5mm shorter. No so sure about taking 5mm off the base of barrel. Then my exhaust wont fit. I might see if theres a 5mm longer rod.

Theres so many people that want larger 185 pistons like this. I think we all need to group together and just get Wiseco to make a batch of oversize TS pistons. it would be so much easier. Apparently the minimum order is 10. I know someone who was getting small batches of PE400 pistons made by Wiseco.
  18. Miguel Sanchez

Oddometer:
    It is the “D” dimension, or the piston crown height, that is important - that is why I took 1mm off the base of the jug. The length of the piston skirt just effects intake timing - so long as it will clear the crank at BDC.

Everything about a 2-stroke is part of a system, and must be considered.
  19. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so you could mill the head or top of the barrel 1mm instead but then all the port timings will still be off by 1mm.
    So i guess machining 1mm off the barrel is better way.
    piston skirts has more length below the piston pin what effect will this have in intake timing? I am not sure how much it will be different because B dimension includes the dome on top of the piston, but if the D is 1mm more then below could be up to 4mm more as theres a total height of 70 vs 75mm
  20. Miguel Sanchez

Oddometer:
    The difference in skirt length wasn’t that significant in my engine - I think just a millimeter or two. I did of course develop a port map and calculate port timing/duration during the build; as all of this information went into the design calculations for my pipe as well, but I did not end up modifying the skirt.

You’ll just have to buy one and do your own calculations and design work for your engine. Again, this is not a simple drop-in replacement - it is essentially the complete design of a new top end for the engine.