Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Pocketsprocket

Pocketsprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True Dat, but almost the same as a TS (better chrome) Bohemia you say, I've ridden there on my KLR. Did you do Noonday and Musick city?
  2. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    We did, or rather they did. We all went to Musik guard station and the old mining town, and they rode Noonday. I was having generator problems just before we started back up the trail and had to leave for home anyway, so they rode it without me. I've done part of the Noonday wagon trail on my 800GS. would not recommend it on a big bike.
  3. Pocketsprocket

Oddometer:
    That rocky second section is a handful on a KLR, I made it with MT21s, but not with 705s (just spun out) I was amazed that they took wagons up and down it! Have you ever rode up for the miners breakfast when they set up the false old town there on the saddle?
  4. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    Believe or not, I grew up in Cottage Grove, and have never gone to the miners breakfast. Always went to the parade in town. Went this year for the first time in a long time.....I'd say this years parade was probably worst I've ever seen, or maybe I'm seeing it with adult eyes.
  5. ExMXer

ExMXer n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently acquired a '74 TS125 (free). It's rough: kick lever welded to kick shaft, crude R. foot peg welded to frame, oil tank missing, speedo, tach. & h/lamp missing. I was thinking about maybe turning it into a VMX bike for the "over 70" class (I'm 76). I now find out the missing oil tank is bad sign.
    My prior 2-stroke experience has been with Yamaha (3), DKW (1), Penton (1) & Bultaco (3) & these ran OK on premix. I figure on removing the cylinder to get an idea of crank condition & if any doubt, go ahead & split the cases & find out for sure. I've located a kick lever & shaft on Ebay & I can remove the welded-on mess with my angle grinder.
    I want to do away with all electrics except what is needed to run & would appreciate any info on that. I registered on the suzukits.com forum but find it impossible to get them to send an activation to my e-mail. They keep sending a message to contact a forum administrator, but do not choose to tell me how to do so. When I reactivate my info I get a message that an activation has been sent to my e-mail address (20+ times), but it never gets there.
    This is my 1st 2-stroke since '76. My other bikes (4) are street bikes 3 of which are Yamaha SR500.
    When I find out how to post photos, I'll do so.
    Thanks for any help.
    Henry
  6. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM with the TS forums info. I'm a regular on there and will ping the admin so he can connect with you. In regards to the oil tank, at least on the 185's, the injector directly lubricated the left crank bearing. It is highly likely that if the bike was run without an injector in place, that bearing might be toast which necessitates a crank case split.
  7. Pocketsprocket

Oddometer:
  8. ExMXer

ExMXer n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your offer. At present, I'm on a family trip. When I return, I'll figure out how to send a PM. Once again: thanks.
  9. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    Many TS Suzukis have been destroyed trying to switch them to premix only.

Even the Suzuki factory hop up kit had a small oil bottle to feed the crank while the rest of the motor ran on premix.

image.jpg
  10. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where I can get a TS 400. Not looking for a restored bike , I just want a project bike
  11. Old Queenslander

Old Queenslander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] 1971 TS90 with factory expansion chamber.
    [​IMG] Racing #560
    ausfahrt and Dansrc51 like this.
  12. Pocketsprocket

Oddometer:
  13. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my '72 TC125 (...it's a rescue)

My first bike was a '72 TS125. I recognized the stripe, and committed to buy it before I realized it was a TC. MANY Hours and $ later, I'm riding it around Pleasant View, TN.

[​IMG]

It will see new paint soon.
  14. Rizingson

Rizingson Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice project Troy, post some pics when you get the new paint job done!
  15. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    Those rear luggage racks are worth their weight in gold. No joke.
  16. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    New-to-me 1971 TS250
    I believe I am about to inherit this bike:

It belonged to my brother-in-law who died (age 60) 3 years ago. It has been sitting in his garage for ~8 years. I gave it a kick today and everything spun freely. My sister-in-law wants to get rid of it. I've never had a 2-stroke before, so it may make a fun project bike. I've read that the headlight is very difficult to find. It also needs taillights, mirrors and a side panel, or two.

Do I need to worry about the apparent oil leak around the exhaust pipe? Is that just inherent to these 2-strokes, or do I have a nasty problem?

If I do take it on - I'll replace all the rubber stuff and wear items and get it back to near-new condition.

What other expensive part do you see missing?
  17. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to sell it to me(waves hand using Jedi mind power):D
    Just make sure the rings and bore are in good shape and you won't need to worry about the exhaust. Good luck with it.
  18. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:

A TS250 Savage,what a great machine!!!!! You'll have a blast repairing and riding that thing.Go get it and you will never regret it
  19. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Were all 1971 TS250s called "Savage", or was that a particular model? I don't see that name on the bike anywhere.
    I lined up a proper carb rebuilder and am just waiting for the OK from SIL to pick up the bike. There is some chance that the son (previous marriage) may want the bike - but no one has touched in in 8 years and he lives out-of-state. I'm crossing my fingers that he doesn't want the thing. I've read every article, watched every YouTube video and surfed eBay for parts: I'm ready to get started bringing this thing back to life.

Another question: With a proper restore on the carb and ignition system - how easy is it to start these bikes? The YouTube videos look easy - but you don't know if they were running previously.
  20. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:

It won't say Savage anywhere the TS models were (and I'm going from memory because I want to test myself!!!!)
    TS90 Honcho,TS125 Duster,TS185 Siera.TS250 Savage,TS400 Apache,the TC models had a split (dual) transmission and were 4 speeds(except the TC120 Cat 3-speed).That's what I had .....1971 Suzuki TC90 Blazer

If it still has the stock air cleaner,stock pipe, and a fresh plug it should start fairly (keep this in perspective) easy. Under no circumstances do you want to bypass the factory oil injection system as this also helped lube the bottom end.

Were it me I would completely drain all the 2 stroke oil from the system,flush and refill with new.Check the tank for rust,drain and put some higher octane (92 or better) fuel in.I used the run ethyl in mine if your old enough to know what that is.Pull the old plug and pour a small amount of 2 stroke oil in the plug hole and GENTLY run the kick starter up and down with the plug OUT!!!!! Your not looking for compression just that the rings have not stuck to the inside of the bore.......any resistance stop...stop...stop....new rings = cheap,new bore and broken rings falling into gearbox=big mess!!!!!!!! Best of luck buddy and I hope you get the bike! WE need pics,pics and then take some more just to be sure!!!!!