Suzuki TS Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by wfopete, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy Shit!!!! just looked,your in Michigan!
  2. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gham - thanks for the advice. Yes - I'm in Salem Township, which is on the other side of the world from you. I used to live in Auburn Hills at Squirrel/Dutton.

No word yet from my sister-in-law.....she may be checking to see if the step-son wants the bike. I can't imagine he does - but I'll have to wait on this one.
    Gham likes this.
  3. SpiderDan

SpiderDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could one of you guys please help me get on to the Suzukits forum? I tried to register, and they didn't send the confirmation e-mail. I used the same user name. Thanks.
  4. SpiderDan

SpiderDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new to me 1980 TS250:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    zone47 and tommyg like this.
  5. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....I signed up a few weeks ago - no problem. I got the confirmation email quickly.

PS - I'm STILL waiting for my sister-in-law to tell me if the TS250 is mine for the taking. She has to offer it to stepson first and is dragging her feet!
  6. SpiderDan

SpiderDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if you were able to get the bike. Would you please let one of the admins know that Spiderdan hasn't got the confirmation e-mail.

I'd like to buy a new kick start lever. The only lever that has the correct part number (and that looks shady), listed is close to $170, but other levers that look similar, but not correct number for TS185 or older TS250 are around $40 delivered on e-bay.
  7. Pocketsprocket

Pocketsprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's nice and at a good price. Somebody'll snap that up.
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I agree. I need another bike like a hole in the head but I would be really tempted if it wasnt on the other side of the country. (epic fly&ride though)
    SpiderDan and Mobil1 like this.
  10. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.
  11. Pocketsprocket

Oddometer:
  12. mtnmaniac

mtnmaniac Simian

Oddometer:
    Nice thread, nice bikes! I learned how to ride a "real" motorcycle on my first bike, a slightly used ts125 back in the early seventies. Orange with white stripes on the tank, full lights and Speedo. In the early nineties, a student offered me a 74 ts250 for cheap that I couldn't pass up. It was Orange too. Despite hating that Suzuki Orange, I kept it for another 8 years. Shoulda kept the first as the 250 was a bit whipped but still ran good. Now, oddly enough, I find myself wanting an old ts250 again (125 is too underpowered to haul my fast butt around)... In Orange.... :loco
  13. Pocketsprocket

Oddometer:
    Same here. Started to flashiebackie to my old TS185 after reading this thread. What a cool motorcycle it was in its day. Got my radar set for used TS m/c's on CL
    mtnmaniac likes this.
  14. mtnmaniac

mtnmaniac Simian

Oddometer:
    Same here. At least we aren't in the same state... Now I just need to get my wallet set.... (I keep spending for Beemer parts... :lol3)
  15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a 72 TS125 that had been stored in a shed since 1982. That shed got so hot in the summer that the grips had melted and bubbled. (I have pictures somewhere.) I was to discover the the reason the bike was parked was due to a hole in the piston. I have been going through the bike giving it want it needs. Pretty much every rubber bit is hard as a brick. The bottom end got new seals and the top end got a new piston. I cleaned and check the oil injection pump. It's been treated to new tires and tubes, new chain and sprocket, a new throttle cable and a few new spokes in the back wheel. This is not a restoration but a freshening. The tank and side covers have that worn look that I am going to keep and it still has most of its street equipment. My hope is to return the bike to the street.

[​IMG]

I have since sold the competition pipe and I am using the OEM pipe and guard.

[​IMG]

It is further along than this now. This is an old picture. I need to get some new pictures of the progress.
    zone47 and slideways like this.
  16. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Winter is coming and the '71 TS250 rebuild project will soon be underway. I've got my late brother-in-law's bike fully torn down. I have $1100 worth of replacement parts in hand. I just got the frame and several other parts back from the powder coater:

I'm looking forward to getting started.

PS - I had a terrifying scare recently. I took over 100 photos of every step of the teardown process and backed them up on my MacBook. Youngest daughter spilled a glass of water onto my keyboard and it died. It is in the shop and will hopefully be resurrected. Luckily, I had backed them all up to SmugMug. I thought I had them backed up on iCloud as well, but can't find them. A good lesson for us all: multiple backups needed! Without those pics, I'd really struggle to get this puzzle back together.
  17. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can TC185 guys play in this romper room? I just put this to sleep for the winter and have discovered more than a few things wrong.
    Might have a question or three for some of you with more knowledge than I,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike!!!!
  19. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cant find a five dial light tachometer on eBay. Mine looks like this and does not work tho all the lights do:

[​IMG]

What is the purpose of the bolt going into the engine below where the tach cable hooks in?

[​IMG]

I found a NOS tach cable but now have discovered the "bung" on the back side of the tach is broke. Some super glue from a previous owner was present.
    Could I JB weld this "bung" back to its proper position because the super glue did not work?

[​IMG]

It might be easier to just buy a four dial light tach on eBay than try and fix this one. The TC185 tach has a charge light.
  20. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    The bolt holds the tach drive in.