Suzuki TU250 - anyone seen/ride one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by anomad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The TU could be a great dual sport platform, but its not.
    The engine is fantastic, as is the weight, the air filter is foam (easy to clean).
    3.5 inches of soft travel and an 18 inch front wheel just does not do well on anything but smooth.
    The frame is not sturdy and I bent the foot peg mounts down at 45 degree angles when I tried to loft the front wheel over a bump.
    The wide gas tank costs $600.00 should you dent it (easy to do) and the large headlight is also prone to breakage and expensive.

But since its light and has a nice power band, and the seat is low, its great on smooth stuff.

Beware though, the salvage bike had a badly broken frame from hitting something, yet the wheel, and forks were fine. Even the tire was fine.
    Frame was bent and cracked in two places...
    Smaug1 likes this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    PreChewCharlie likes this.
  3. PreChewCharlie

PreChewCharlie proto-n00b

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about those Dunlops — size availability seems to be limited, but the tread looks very much like what I'm thinking of.

On a completely different topic, if you remember the stalling issue I was having I cranked the idle up by ear and it went away. Bike was pulling pretty hard when I let the clutch out so I wasn't surprised when the tach I'd ordered arrived and I found I had it at almost 1600. I turned it down to 1380 — it's still quite a bit higher than what it was when I got it, but since doing that it's stalled twice on me when I've disengaged to downshift. Definitely need to do that 3000 mile tuneup and see if a valve adjustment fixes it.
  4. PreChewCharlie

Oddometer:
    Have you seen what this guy is doing? https://www.instagram.com/nifty2fifty/
  5. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    PreChewCharlie likes this.
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any Shinkos availability for TU250 sizes? They make a nice DOT Trials tire.
  7. Scoozi

Scoozi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2LOUD-Suzuki-TU250-2.jpg

As an alternative to Dunlop K70 you could use Duro HF308 as fitted to the above scrambler/tracker. I've got them on my W650 and can confirm that they're good as a mostly road tire with a bit of off-road as my avatar pic shows, also they're available in many different sizes.
    Ginger Beard, V0R2G0 and MYUMPH like this.
  8. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ Can you tell us more about this bike or maybe a link. Looks like it might be a fuel injected engine as I don't see a petcock. Looks awesome.

Thanks

Neil
  9. Lo Echsar

Lo Echsar Baruch haShem Adonai

Oddometer:
    I got interested in the TU250X after seeing a 2009 for sale here on advrider a few months back. As of today, there are five 2009s for sale on ATV Trader. For those of you looking, it might be worth taking a look.
  10. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3473.JPG I just picked up a 2012 with 1614km. One owner. Cleaner than new! These are had to find used but I think I got lucky. In four days I've added 50% more mileage. Power reminds me of my 180cc bike in Colombia in my avatar. The small Nelson Rigg bags fit perfectly. Loving this so far.
    Ginger Beard and MYUMPH like this.
  11. PreChewCharlie

Oddometer:
    Congrats! That isn't even broken in! Are the rear turn signals really still on the factory brackets? I had no idea there were any saddlebags that would work without moving them.

It's a really fun little bike, although mine is sidelined for the moment because I lost a fork seal at less than 4000 miles. I think the previous owner rode it on dirt a lot without cleaning it properly.
  12. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Finally after searching on and off for roughly six years....I found my TU! It's a 2015 with 68 miles on it. Yes, sixty eight original miles. It was garage kept and all the rubber is in good shape. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the DMV to get it plated and insured, then first thing is to change that oil! It's been sitting in there since the bike was new and has got to be all kinds of nasty.

Bike has a brand new battery and about a gallon of fresh-ish fuel and started right up and I wobbled into my driveway because both tires were about 20 PSI. I don't really want to ride it much until the oil is changed, allthough it had a 4 mile test ride about a month ago.
  13. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for years too. Used ones around here are rare and new is too much for me. Congratulations on yours. I guess patience is rewarded. I found this 2012 about a month ago with 1600 km on it. Cleaner than new and a fair price. Plus my favorite colour. Cheers. Neil

Attached Files:

14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Nice!

I'm very impressed with the apparent fit and finish on this bike. It's leagues higher than bikes like the Rebel 250. Chrome is lustrous and everything feels substantial.

Only one question though, on the left switch grip housing, there are two exposed yellow wires going to the clutch switch -- is this normal or am I missing a cover of some kind?
    MYUMPH likes this.
  15. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Well, I have doubled the mileage on my new TU in just one ride :D

After getting the plates/title stuff taken care of, I changed the oil (not the filter yet, I'll do that at 600 miles....FYI Autozone carries Valvoline 10w-40 fully synthetic Jaso MA2 rated motorcycle oil for about $9/qt...I didn't want to spring for Mobil 1 since this oil is getting drained at the 600 mile service anyway), completely flushed/bled the front brake system with new fluid, checked all the fasteners and adjusted the tire pressure.

Gosh I forgot how much fun small, slow bikes are. At my altitude (5500-6500 feet) the little TU struggles to reach 60mph on flat ground right now with the tight, unbroken-in engine, but I was grinning like a madman for the whole ride. A big part of the fun is wringing the bike's neck and barely breaking speed limits. You feel like speed racer while going 49mph :lol3 Other than being a "sedately paced" motorcycle, it's just a very nice riding machine. Very smooth, handles fine (I'm surprised by the stock Cheng Shin tires), adequate brakes, and surprisingly comfortable even for my 6'2" frame. The stock seat is way more comfy than my Ducati Scrambler.

Gripes include the shifter which needs more adjustment. In the stock location it's a tad too low to be comfortable, but the next possible position on the splines puts it way too high. The shifter throw is also quite long, but at least it's smooth.

Mirrors are weird and I'm struggling to find a good adjustment. They are nice and solid but seem weird to adjust for some reason.

The rear brake pedal has way too much travel so I have to look at adjusting that too.

Engine is pretty rattly sounding, particularly at higher revs until it's warmed up, but whatever, it's an aircooled thumper, it's gonna make some weird mechanical noises. I've read something about the auto spring-loaded cam chain tensioner not being properly unlocked on some bikes?

In all, I'm very happy with the bike and am looking forward to bonding with it.
    Ginger Beard and MYUMPH like this.
  16. PreChewCharlie

Oddometer:
    I've got the exposed yellow wires too — when I first noticed them I looked at a few pictures online and decided that's just the way they are.
    My 2013 had 2700 miles on it when I bought it and between there and 3200 it really felt like it loosened up and began revving a lot more freely. Could just be that I got more used to riding it the way it wanted to be ridden, but I do think that was when it finally got broken in. At sea level I've had it up to 73 (indicated, since the speedo supposedly reads high with the stock tires) — it has a little more in it, but traffic is nuts here and I only use the freeway for very short stretches.

The shifter was perfect for my non-moto boots, but I just got some leather riding boots and I think I need to reposition it because I can barely get my toe under now. Maybe they made the shifter like that on purpose for casual riders with casual gear?

The mirrors give me a lot of opportunity to check out my biceps while I ride. They aren't as impressive as I'd like. Some owners replace them with CB750 mirrors and I've been thinking about doing that too.

I didn't trust the previous owner of mine (with good reason) so I was hyper-sensitive about some of the engine noises at first, but yeah they just come with the territory.

Great score! Enjoy your new bike!
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  17. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Bike had a lot of trouble starting yesterday morning for my second ride on it :patch. I thought EFI was supposed to take care of stuff like this. It cranked and cranked and cranked and made some pretty ugly ticking/clacking noises from the engine while it was rotating with the starter. It did finally start up after maybe a half a minute of trying.

I shut it off again because I realized I should have checked the oil first which was ok. It re-started instantly though, after that.

The engine noises have me a little more concerned. It really makes some god-awful rattling noises as the RPM picks up, which mostly go away when the engine is hot but it takes a long time to quiet down. I've been reading that it's the crank balance shaft?? Sounds like the engine is about to fall apart :uhoh

It started fine for my first ride on it, which was when I put about 3/4 gallon fresh fuel on top of whatever was in there , then headed out for 60 miles of basically pinning the throttle to go 55-60. Then yesterday it had that starting problem -- is it related to riding it so hard?
  18. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never had starting problems with mine. I do, remember when it was new though, hearing engine sounds when I would accelerate fairly hard. Almost like it was "spark knocking". Didn't sound good. I don't know if it went away, or I just got used to it. The engine will definitely free up as you put miles on it. I remember at 100, 500, 1000, and especially after around 3000 miles, it really freed up. Hope your engine is ok.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  19. PreChewCharlie

Oddometer:
    If I were you I'd change the oil again, but this time also do the filter.

Here's a long story that eventually explains why I'm distrustful of filters on newly-purchased used vehicles: Years ago I bought a used Volvo 240 station wagon that had just had its oil changed at a Jiffy Lube. I drove it around town for a week, then took it into the mountains for a camping trip. I pulled over in the middle of nowhere because I had an urgent need for a haircut and the engine died on me. It wouldn't restart, so I pulled out my tools and started troubleshooting. It turned out the camshaft had seized and stripped the timing belt. Amazingly, the timing belt had been replaced in the car before and the old timing belt was still in the spare tire compartment when I bought it. I had some transmission fluid, so I poured that over the camshaft, got it freed up, put the old timing belt back on, set the timing by ear, and drove slowly to the campsite. I spent two days camping while covered in oil and grease from working on the car, then limped it back home on side roads.

So when I went to change the oil after this whole episode, hardly any came out of the pan. Then I pulled the filter and quarts of it gushed out. For whatever reason, the new Jiffy Lube filter wasn't passing any oil and it had all collected in the galleys in the block. It wasn't getting pumped back up to the head and that's why the camshaft seized the first time I drove it for an extended period of time. I'm sure you've got the OEM filter in your TU, and it's a fine filter, but just on the off chance it got a bit gummed up sitting around the last four years, I'd put in a new one and see if the engine noise quiets down. It's a longshot, but better safe than sorry.

Speaking of gummed up, did you put any fuel injector cleaner in your tank with that gas?
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Hard starting is very unusual and not normal at all.
    Not once in 20,000 miles did my TU take more then a stab at the starter button.
    It might need some more new gas run through the system.

I might check the timing chain tensioner is released and working.
    And check the spark plug.

The TU has a balance gizmo, gear driven, in the front of the motor between the flywheel halfs.
    Since its gear driven its got a shock absorber built into the gear.
    Its two pieces, the outer gear part and the inner bobweight inner part with springs in between.
    The springs give and allow the two parts to hit their stops= rattle.
    Its much worse if you over fill the oil.

I abused my TU from the first ride and was worried about that rattle.
    So I tore the motor down at 3000 miles and found everything tight, new looking and no wear or play on anything.
    I put the motor back together and ignored all noises for the next 17,000 miles of full throttle high rpm use.

The only real worry you have with the TU is improper dealer setup/service and what any PO might have done.
    Dealers drain the oil from the wrong plug and lose transmission parts, they use the wrong cable brackets in the wrong places and do other mistakes.

My Yamaha XT250 had the same balance gizmo setup and was even louder then the TU was.