Suzuki TU250 - anyone seen/ride one?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by anomad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta love small displacement rides! You guys have got my attention with this bike. Finding them used is proving difficult around me. I normally went to C.L. searching for bikes. Apparently everyone is using F.B. marketplace now? Anyhow. I am not a F.B. guy. Last of the Mohicans I am told? If anybody come's across a used TU around the 50677 zip fill me in.
    On another note. What kind of gravel road manners have you guys experienced? Thanks
    damasovi likes this.
  2. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine did fine on gravel forest service roads, at an easy pace just sight seeing.
    CMS likes this.
  3. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reassuring! Thanks
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    The TU has a pretty weak frame for anything serious off road and the suspension is tuned for mostly smooth asphalt and doesn't have much rebound damping. Should be fine on light gravel roads but take it easy. Rear brake is pretty ineffective too, so plan your stops offroad carefully :lol3
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I always found it easy to lock up the back wheel if I wanted, street or dirt.
    Drum brakes tend to have a different feel from disks, but stomp on the brake pedal on the TU's I have had and they stop well.
  6. PreChewCharlie

PreChewCharlie proto-n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, if anyone wants a new TU250X they'd better hurry because 2019 is the last year for them. The VanVan 200 is gone too...
  7. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Dislike!
  8. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Replacing the headlight bucket. There is a small wire connector, white in color. Anyone know how to disconnect it ?
    Dean
  9. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    1122 miles now. Wish I had more time to ride.
    [​IMG]
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I am coming up on 3000 miles I added to my recent 2015 TU.
    That is in about 6 or 8 weeks.
    What fun!
    MYUMPH, LuciferMutt and Lo Echsar like this.
  11. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    @NJ-Brett , how's that 2015 of yours running? I was poking around TU250riders this morning and noticed a few posts from you remarking that your 2015 doesn't seem to run as hard or as well as your 2009 did. I also experienced all the same off idle stumble and weird fuel injection issues you did with my 2015. Furthermore, I also have massive cush drive slop. I gotta get rid of that -- it clunks TWICE when I put it in 1st gear -- it's over 1/4" play at the sprocket. Is 2015 the lemon year or something? :lol3

Mine's been running pretty good since I installed the Booster Plug but something still doesn't feel quite right. It bogs very slightly every time I crank the throttle WFO while I'm in a higher gear -- like I'm rolling at 50 mph in 4th or 5th and I need to climb a hill, and I roll the throttle open -- I feel a slight bog until the the power comes on it (or just maintains, depending on the speed.)
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I am at 7200 miles, I think I got the bike with 2400 on it...so thats about 4800 miles...
    The FI issues were non issues, it was all due to the driveline slop.
    I would not have believed you had you told me that before, but that is what it was, all the stumble/lurching ect, was due to the slop in the cush hub.
    Two pieces of heat shrink tubing over the nubs made it tight (no slop) and the bike runs wonderful.

I am not sure if the 2015 is a little lower in power or not, I think the tires are a bit larger even though they are the original size per the numbers.

I did the hard break in on my 2009, who knows what the 2015 got.
    4 years and 2400 miles is not a lot of use!
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  13. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dart fly screens is having a factory seconds sale. Reg 125usd now 60. I ordered one last week and it should arrive today. My first farkle for my Tu250x.
    Cheers. Neil
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  14. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I've got a Dart on my Duc Scrambler. Other than the easily scratched polycarbonate, I'm quite happy with it. It wasn't long after I bought it that I think Dart started adding an anti-scratch coating to the screens too. I may replace the screen on my Scrambler to have one with the coating since my current one has a lot of scratches.

For TU content, I was riding my TU on Saturday and was stopped first in line at a light. A bass thumping SUV with huge gaudy chrome rims pulls up beside me and the guy looks over and loudly says "Hey man. That's a dope-ass little bike." :lol3
    V0R2G0 likes this.
  15. V0R2G0

V0R2G0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :jackDope ass? Is that good?
  16. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    No higher praise in ABQ!
    dp064 and Nobade like this.
  17. Dave7

Dave7 n00b

Oddometer:
    LuciferMutt and MYUMPH like this.
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Guess the bike is broken in now.
    Did it use any oil?
    Odd you had problems (chainguard).

Thanks for the very nice write up!
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I was scrolling down to this post and read the first two lines and saw the top of the photo before checking your Location and thought to myself, "That looks Banff-y."
  20. Dave7

Dave7 n00b

Oddometer:
    I would say the bike is certainly broken in now. It did seem to use a little oil early in the trip but not after. The issues seemed to be mostly a few escaped minor bolts.

That avatar photo is somewhere between Banff and Jasper. Lovely bit of highway that with only the rental RVs being a bit of a bummer at times. This summer I actually travelled that highway on a 80cc scooter and passed a slow moving RV.