Suzuki VanVan 200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ponchushka, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ponchushka

ponchushka n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a VanVan 200 and has done some mods to it?

I bought this in Sept 2016 in California. So far I have added a windshield. I plan to add a rear rack so I can put a top case on it.

vanvan-shield.jpeg
  2. ponchushka

ponchushka n00b

Oddometer:
    rear rack and top case IMG_5719-1.JPG
  3. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what are your thoughts on the bike so far?
    curtis6870 likes this.
  4. ponchushka

ponchushka n00b

Oddometer:
    I love it! It is very light, handles great, very stable, very comfy ergonomically, very enjoyable. It looks amazing. One thing I am not entirely happy with is that gears are very short, if you know what I mean. You have to switch 4 gears to get to 40 mph, so you find yourself kind of busy if you want to get a quick start. Other than that, it is awesome. Once you are in 5th gear - it is almost like a scooter, it gets you anywhere from 25 to 75 mph (that was the fastest I was able to go on it). It does about 80-90 miles per gallon, so small tank (1.7 gl) is not an issue. Oh yeah, and on gravel or muddy roads after rain, or grass and sand - no problem - not like I take dirt riding on purpose, but when we do these weekend rides with my friends in farm lands - you come across some unexpected surfaces - and vanvan does not mind at all :D
  5. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking heavy at one of the Van van 200. I'm in between the Yamaha TW200 and the Van Van. Any feed back?
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    You may be able to get a TW used for a better price, and there is more aftermarket stuff for the TW, the vanvan has fuel injection and an oil cooler which is nice.
    The TW shares a lot of parts with the older XT250, XT200, and XT225.

The vanvan seat is likely better then the TW.
    I think you get slightly more suspension on the TW.
  7. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NJ thanks for the info.
  8. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had four TW200's and was dying to get a look at a VanVan. I finally got a chance to check one out a dealer last month. I like the oil cooler, the fuel injection, the cool 70's vibe. Unfortunately, I found the seat height WAY too low. I'm 5' 11", with a 32" inseam. With a Seat Concepts kit and an ATV pad, a TW fits me moderately well because the combination raises the seat two inches. I'd need to add more like 4" to a VanVan seat for me to ride it any length of time. When it squatted down as I sat on it I felt like I was on a Monkeybike.

I think the listed seat height is about an inch lower than a TW but it seems like a lot more than that.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  9. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ponchushka, who makes the windshield, the rack for the trunk and the brand of the trunk. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of them.
  10. ponchushka

ponchushka n00b

Oddometer:
  11. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ponchushka,

I been looking for the grey and black but cant find one. My local dealer will be ordering one soon. As soon as they get it and pulling the trigger, I will posted.
    Thanks for the information
    ponchushka likes this.
  12. FreshWaterSquid

FreshWaterSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really drawn to this bike, especially the looks, the simplicity, the small size and extremely manageable weight and the extra comfy looking seat.

I started out on a 150cc scooter and I feel like this would bring me back some of the joy I had in learning how to ride and scooting around on little surface streets just taking it easy. It also seems like it would have the ability to goof around a bit in some less extreme off road areas.

This would be an absolutely perfect bike to cruise around at my second home which is in a medium size city in Central Mexico.
    damasovi, Klay and ponchushka like this.
  13. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170407_160120 (1).jpg Pon,

Here is my Van Van 200, picked up Friday.
    AtLarge, sraber, monmendoza and 6 others like this.
  14. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike is a lot of fun to ride. I had all type of bikes but this one brings back the fun in riding, very comfortable and easy to maneuver. The bike only has 60 miles on the odometer and its running easy to 55 mph. Don't want to push it too much, I will post more as I break her in.

Attached Files:

JerseyBiker and ponchushka like this.
  15. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20170407_160157.jpg
    AtLarge, monmendoza, manx16 and 4 others like this.
  16. ponchushka

ponchushka n00b

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, Erod! I am very happy for you! i hope you enjoy it. Post more pictures of your adventures.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  17. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    What part of Arizona is that ?
  18. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    I've been looking and I really like this bike. I'm thinking there are some easy solutions to concerns listed here.

Couldn't you just add a tooth (or two) on the countershaft sprocket? Or go smaller with the rear sprocket? Your speedometer would be off, but it might even become more accurate depending on the factory error in the things.

I compared the ergos on the Vanvan to my Bonneville (http://cycle-ergo.com/). It's actually better. Seat-to-ground means little or nothing. It's the distance between the top of the seat and the foot pegs that's critical.

It looks like a change in gearing might make this little bike work for me. Any thoughts about using one as a commuter?
  19. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    My knees were above the tank while sitting on it. In fact, they were at about the same height as the bottom of the handlebars. Monkeybike ergos. On a TW200 my knees are 4-5" below the bars. Compared to my V-Strom the hip angle is a whopping ten degrees more acute and the knee angle is 6. I'd need at least 2" risers and 3" higher seat to make the ergos feel natural.

I'm still considering a VanVan but for me, the bike in stock form is unrideable.
  20. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motochris521, I moved to the Florida Keys in December.