Suzuki VanVan 200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ponchushka, Feb 19, 2017.

1. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't changed it yet, but I have reached out to Hagon to see if they can make a shock with more stroke length. If they can, I will increase the stoke on the front accordingly if possible.
    dp064 likes this.
  2. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is your VV blue and white?..seems like I've seen it in some of Win's ride reports. How does the VV do on those TN gravel roads and water crossings? I ask because I have a cheap bike I think I could make a quasi enduro out of.. may just be better to start with a true dual sport though.

Edit: after looking maybe start fresh.. suspension is likely going to be cost prohibitive..
  3. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    It is a blue '17, but I haven't ridden it with Win. Only the Himalayan and Road Glide.
    dp064 likes this.
  4. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    How much lower than 18 psi do I dare go before I need rim locks?
    dp064 likes this.
  5. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    I heard back from Hagon and they said they do not make a shock for the Van Van 200. Oh well, guess I will have to get down to my 19 year old weight of 165 lbs. LOL!
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Plan is a one-gallon rotopax on a rear rack for the vv and I have a 1.7 gallon fuel bag for my DR. Her bike gets much better mileage, mine carries 2x the fuel so it should work out. I've got side racks on the DR, but I think a rack-less luggage solution like Giant Loop may be the way to go with the VV.
  7. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    I debated on the 1 gallon fuel pax, but my value for the money genes kicked in and I got the 1.5 gallon for only a few dollars more. I figured if I didn’t find suitable fuel within 20 miles of the low fuel light coming on I would stop and top off the tank. If you find yourself on 55 mph roads the fuel economy will take a hit.
    I wear a Icon Fieldpack back pack when exploring on the Van Van. It is large enough that the weight is carried on the seat, and it provides more back protection as long as I only put soft stuff in it like layers, rain gear, spare gloves, etc.
  8. RustyRodder

RustyRodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am looking at VanVans, but not any local to me. I may have to buy sight unseen if it comes down to it.

Are any bigger dudes riding these? At 6' and 235lbs before gear, I am wondering if maybe I am too chonk for this.
  9. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6' 4" 290 the bike doesn't seem to care :jack
  10. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    5'11" 200 lbs. The bike won't do the advertised 70 mph with me on it, and some hills might require me to rev near the limiter while downshifting to no loose too much speed.

Bottom line is that it really depends on what your intended use is. I love mine for a second bike when I go on camping trips. I use it to explore and use my street bike to enjoy the twisties. It is so light that even if I am just doing a road trip with my truck I put the Van Van on the receiver carrier and take it with me. No effect on fuel economy back there and it is nice to have if the opportunity to explore arises. Plus, knowing I have a spare vehicle in case the truck needs service while away from home.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I run about 6 psi in my TW, I have a Kenda K270 on the front and the stock rear tire which is the same size as the VV but different.
    In the cold, its now likely 5 psi but they do not seem soft.
    Anything over 10 feels like Flintstones tires off road.

Chillis likes this.
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the TW200's 14" rear rim and the Bridgestone knobbies, you will be unable to break the bead by accident. Period. Even at 0psi. For all intents and purposes, the tire is welded to the rim. If you get a flat, just ride it home that way. You will not break the bead without a dedicated machine. And even then it will take 3x as long as any other motorcycle tire and you will be cursing THE ENTIRE TIME. Unless the Dunlops are significantly lighter/thinner construction, I'd expect that bead to be just as hard to break.

Charles.
    Chillis and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  13. RustyRodder

RustyRodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. This will mainly be a cruise around town bike, with some off road exploration; maybe some day trips but not anything like the TAT. If it will cruise comfortably at 55, I would be happy. The CT125 was my first choice, but availablity and price increase over these has me looking back at them.
  14. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a CSC SG250.. similar ( to a VV and TU250 ) looking but about 7/8ths scale.. at 5'11", 230, I'm pretty sure i look like a circus performer on the bike but who cares.. I'm just having fun riding.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  15. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    It will do 55 comfortably on flat roads. It will struggle and the throttle will be pinned on any incline, and hills will having you downshifting to 4th and pinning the throttle. I wouldn't own it as my only bike, but I sure do enjoy it for it's intended use. Oh, and I live a mile from the TAT. I ride the sections near me all the time. I posted one or two ride reports with photos in one of these Van Van threads, and a bunch of exploring photos spread around the Photo forums.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Not even with all the massive HP and torque the TW puts down?

17. RustyRodder

RustyRodder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds fine to me! It might be slow, but my bikes seem to be continually shrinking- Radian, to a GS450, to a Star250, to a 49cc Garelli Moped. You get used to 35mph on flats and 20mph uphill.

The FI and not-a-dirtbike look sold it to me over the TW; I love the fat tire look, especially with the front rim swapped.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  18. TN_twowheeladdict

Oddometer:
    You will have to deal with conversations at the gas stations when you are on the Van Van. Everyone says it is in great shape for its age, but they think it is an old motorcycle. LOL! Especially in the classic blue and white.
    Nev and Chillis like this.
  19. Nev

Nev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've gotten that same comment about it being in good shape for it's age and a couple of times people have given the "nice bike" comment. I get more comments about the Van Van then my Z900. It is the "King of funk" and I'm finding it to be really useful. I really like when I get gas and it costs two bucks.
    Chillis and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  20. AWSVAN

AWSVAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel a little embarrassed to hunt all day on my VV and stop at the gas station and put in less than a gallon of gas but so much nice than my truck.

Most of the time I'm traveling little two tracks that haven't seen a grader in a long time for sure not this century. I spend most of the time in 2nd gear but still can take the highway home, it's buzzy around 45 but smooths out above 50 and I run 55 on the highway. I love this thing it is perfect for what I do.

I did put on the crash bars, it does a pretty good job of keeping the mesquite thorns out of my legs. The center-stand is perfect for fixing a flat.

I did have a 1.5 gallon fuel can on it but pulled the rear pegs and mounted a 1 liter bottles in leather tool bags on either side just incase. I usually head for a fuel stop at 90 mile and have had the low fuel light come on once, I set the trip meter back to zero every time I fuel up..

[​IMG]
    Nev, AtLarge, Kritter and 3 others like this.