Suzuki VanVan 200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ponchushka, Feb 19, 2017.

1. FwoGiZ

FwoGiZ n00b

Oddometer:
    Would you make another one of those engine guard and rack in the back? I'd pay for both and shipping to Canada!

If not, does anyone know of a good place to get these things? Rack/luggage box, skid plate, engine guard. I am looking for something in Canada has there is a shipping fee of 120$CAD with t-rex in the US which I'd rather avoid.

I'll be carrying this baby behind my RV. We boondock deep so it's nice to have something reliable that will take me and the gf to the trailhead and in town for supplies. Also my first owned bike.. only ever road friends or in foreign country so I guess I'll finally have to get my license now lol
  2. rws53

rws53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded my Van Van in on a Honda Rebel 1100 3 weeks ago...could have stripped those parts off and sold separately...damn. Anyway check out Webike at this link...under bodyworks is a rack and under frames/protections is a skid plate. The bag I had on the back was from Nelson/Rigg.

https://japan.webike.net/SUZUKI/RV200+VANVAN/563/mtop/

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUZUKI-VAN-...NLESS-RACK-POWDER-COAT-BLUE-NEW-/264861262873

suzuki RV200 Racks (manracks.com)
  3. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skid plate 1.jpg VV Silver city.jpg

I have the skid plate and the engine guard sold by Webike, if you want it pay for the shipping and Ill send it to you.
    dp064 likes this.
  4. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Wow what generous offer! Note his bike has the sweet JDM factory rack available thru Webike in Japan.
  5. Erod

Erod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thumbnail_20200621_134108[1].jpg
    dp064 likes this.
  6. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Ready for Adventure! Color matched even. Beautiful
  7. rws53

rws53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the rear rack and engine guard mentioned above that I fabricated for my Van Van

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made an adapter to interface between the bike and a ATV/motorcycle jack to securely lift the bike for service/maintenance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dp064 likes this.
  8. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a T-Rex luggage rack on mine. Used bungies to strap a folding basket on it. Takes just a few seconds to put it on when needed.

IMG_7806.jpg IMG_7809.jpg tempImageUhiuSr.png
    Arbolmano, Chris Kane and dp064 like this.
  9. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed the Black Widow exhausts on my VanVans and I am quite happy with the results. I have the 230mm and 300mm oval mufflers. They sound sporty (like a Tw200 with the volume turned up) and they look great. I left the db killers in and the bikes run amazing. Got an extra 3 mph on the top end! Mileage jumped 4 mpg. Just thought I would share.
    velofish, KNDLKSTMS and Chillis like this.
  10. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit of controversy on the valve lash specs....the sticker on the bike says .05 - .10mm on the intake and .08-.13mm on the exhaust...but the dealer says the Suzuki service manual states .08-.13mm on the intake and .13-.18mm on the exhaust...that's a bit of difference! Anybody have a Haynes manual that they could quote the specs on?
  11. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I tend to go with the sticker in such scenes. I’ll check my owners manual once my tea kicks in. Your largest fear is too tight but too loose is annoying and loses power. Checking often is key in the early stages, mine tightened up a little on the exhaust by 500 miles, loosened on intake.
  12. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My owner's manual has nothing. The sticker, in the case of the Moto Guzzi V7III, was wrong. I agree with your assessments. I think a call to Suzuki is in order
  13. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SOLVED the swingarm is the latest and correct data. Suzuki's technical team in California has confirmed. Explains why my 2017 ran really weak after a trip to the same dealers, they set them way loose out of spec!!
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found heavier fork springs for the VV? I'm trying to solve a really bad bottoming issue that will only be worse when the bike is loaded up as a micro-adventure unit. I wonder if springs from the TU250X will fit? Can't find fork leg diameters for either bike to confirm.
  15. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    The Okie way to pump up your springs is to add spacers on top of the springs, like 1/2” to 1” has worked in past.
    The forks are specked the same diameter as the Yamaha TW200 so I suspect one could put those forks on and gain travel. Or cut down HD springs for TW for VV. Quite possible DR a direct swap.
    All the fork spring folks can help you with this. This is very old school suspension, trail bike not performance off road monster. You can spend much money here for naught. “You can’t polish a turd” as my mentor used to say.
    However......if big loads are your intent, the rear springs and shock are where you need to place your attention. Be quite careful of over loading. VV a wee bike not a sherpa, loading limits are clearly posted in owners manual or stickers on racks. 12 lbs on my factory rear rack same as TW. Totally possible to up grade stock shock n spring, contact a Pro.
    I would advise to install the factory skid bar. It connects the rear and front part of lower frame strengthening that section over just using motor as stressed unit.
    Some of my stupidest crashes in life have come from overloading a TW 200 in service on Ranch. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should sometimes
  16. jwaltsh

jwaltsh n00b

Oddometer:
    Just bought my wife a 2017 blue Van Van. Bike is practically brand new. Only has 400 miles. She is going to ride it to work and back (about a 10 mile round trip). Probably the slowest bike I have ever ridden, but perfect for the little lady. Disappointed at the lack of aftermarket stuff for it. Am going to order the Manracks rear rack Monday. I changed the oil in it the other day and wasnt paying much attention and took the wrong bolt out thinking it was the drain plug. I guess one shouldnt do that. but everythings fine. Why Suzuki has both bolts the same size is beyond me, but I guess its my fault. Like the bike overall for putting around on.
    MoreCheese and dp064 like this.
  17. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Congrats! It’s a drag the VV didn’t take off like it should have. It’s a super wee motorbike. “Webike” in Japan is a good source for factory accessories like a skid plate or rack. Enjoy the wee beasty, it’s a workhorse. And certainly your a stand out now at Starbucks. I get way more comments than my BMW or Chopper.
    Wallachian Spikes and jwaltsh like this.
  18. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Spacers would stiffen the front end but will not do anything about the problem of blowing through all the travel too easily. I get the design limits of the bike, but I think it's designed for someone who weighs 125 pounds. Front end bottoms in very easy off road terrain, talking small potholes at low speed. It's a street bike, and the suspension is fine for that. Anything other than smooth dirt and it just slams the forks like no other bike I've ever ridden. For me it might be the bike's fatal flaw. The TW is probably better but I will not own another carbureted bike.
  19. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    399E89D1-6084-415F-B0AF-59EEE46EA459.jpeg Wow. Perhaps your unit defective? I weigh 220 and have done a fair bit off road, with gear. No problems at all as long as you remember, it’s a trail bike not an Enduro. Not designed for high speed or jumps. Old man slow travel bike, for hunting, exploring and camping. Not bombing the whoops.
    Sounds like you’ll need to source a different unit. I’ve had multiple TW 200 over the years and they are about the same bike. 1” more travel in front. Van Van sweeter only due to fueling. So I’d suggest something more off road for your use, Honda 250 would suit you better I think. You can lower them if that’s an issue.
    Life’s too short to be riding a bike that don’t suit you. There is no need to compromise or complain.
    Kritter and 1Scorpion like this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be a lack of fork oil? Maybe yours got assembled on a monday morning by a hung over dude?

Charles.