Suzuki VanVan 200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ponchushka, Feb 19, 2017.

1. KNDLKSTMS

KNDLKSTMS n00b

Oddometer:
    Yo , just joined , thought VV threads were long dead . Glad folks are still monkeying with them . Got my '17 last July . Perfect bike for ME . Spend more time on the seat than the pegs . And happy to go 45 mph on pavement (sometimes the shoulder) . Made my own skid plate , luggage rack (MOLLE style) and windscreen/tablet mount .
    The bike does most of the over hiway in the back of the Van , yes a Van VANVAN .
    Sure I've bottomed the front , thinking the next thicker oil should work . And for my "style" of riding we'll be putting on a smaller front sprocket . Get 1st gear down to walking speed . IMG_20200909_101456205_HDR.jpg
    Arbolmano and manx16 like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Thicker oil is a bad idea.
    Less movement on a sharp hit.
    Since damper rod forks have a fixed damping for slow and fast movement, thicker oil will cause sharp impacts to pass through to the rider much more while doing nothing to hold the bike up.
    Stiffer springs (very easy to do) and thinner oil will give a plush ride.
    KNDLKSTMS likes this.
  3. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Walking speed. I’m with you there Comrade. A great speed for some of us. What a “trail” bike should excel at. That and being able to “paddle” with your feet. Not stylish or real cool, but gets the job done without drama.
    I’ve had much success in my misspent youth using spacers of plastic pipe to stiffen up weak fork springs along with changing volume and or type of oil. But best bang/dollar is 3/4” of 3/4” pvc. The best way of course is new springs or if your super rich adapt fork assemblyfrom TW 200.
    A “super star” modification from the TW world would be adapt a trailer rim to rear to run tubeless......I just lack time at moment.
    So sad VV didn’t take off like it should have, sweet sweet trail bike.
    KNDLKSTMS likes this.
  4. KNDLKSTMS

KNDLKSTMS n00b

Oddometer:
    "So sad VV didn’t take off like it should have, sweet sweet trail bike." !!! I would say 80% of comments universally about the VANVAN were about how it's not this bike or that bike . I think the first reaction on any bike is to crank the throttle and see how fast you can crash . I say it's easier to adapt oneself to the bike than adapt the bike into the one you should have bought .
    I want to slow down and "smell the roses" at "trials" speed .
  5. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my 640a this summer so the only bike in the garage currently is my wife's VanVan.
    I've got to admit it's really fun to run around town on but it won't make much more than 80km/h with me on it.
    The sound of circus music plays in my head as I put my large 6'2" self on the thing.
    sledrydr and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  6. DaSwami

DaSwami Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't sweat it, 6' 4" 285lbs going to ride mine now
    velofish and Motonoia like this.
  7. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I equate it to riding a moped. More fun than it should be long as nobody see you riding it. Fun to ride a slow pace. And by God I can even pick the darn thing up when I crash. I get way more happy faces on the VV than either of my other units. (GSA, Vstar 1100) I should have gotten two though, be easier to find a riding partner. That and a Van to haul with dammit.
    KNDLKSTMS and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  8. KNDLKSTMS

KNDLKSTMS n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes , a VanVan in a van . VanVan van like this ? 20210811_191149.jpg
  9. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I wanted to be the first with a Van carrying Van Van. Come get me and it'll be van squared in a Van.
  10. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    My van van goes camping a lot. Mostly as my second bike for deeper exploration, but sometimes solo behind my truck
    IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

It has recently gotten competition for the rack.
    IMG_5622.JPG
    KNDLKSTMS likes this.
  11. KNDLKSTMS

KNDLKSTMS n00b

Oddometer:
    Arbolmano will do . That Promaster is the dinkiest one they make but with the bike Pingled I can deploy the crib and slumber while holding the left grip , all warm and fuzzy . How's the riding in your 'hood ?
    Overnighted at Williams Hill earlier ( no VanVan , just Van) , looked like fun for VanVan .
    TN_twowheeledaddic the southeast looks FUN , daughter is in Charlotte , hummm. . . A few years from now there won't be any western forests left to ride and the deserts will be burnt down too .
    TN_twowheeladdict likes this.
  12. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I bow to you Twowheel, not just a mighty VV but a Guzzi.......and proof that two bikes isn't sufficient. Three works for me GSA, VV and big Vtwin cruiser. I wish for more but thats really all I can keep in good repair and exercised.
  13. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have the big tourer BA7A1C18-4AF9-49C1-A257-636D84645AEE.jpeg for those times when I am not camping.
    KNDLKSTMS likes this.
  14. KNDLKSTMS

KNDLKSTMS n00b

Oddometer:
    I avoid pavement as much as possible , there are PEOPLE in CARS :p3rry, I won't even ride a bicycle in the bike lane . They'll have to jump the curb to get me ! :hide
  15. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey VanVan folks, I have a question I'm sure someone can help with.

So, I have this bad idea in my head of building a TW650 abomination. The stock hub for my bike is 36 spokes, so the VanVan 4.5x14 rim can be made to work (T-dub rim is 32 holes). I have good clearance in the swingarm (~230mm) but I need to figure out chain clearance.

I know the TW34 or K180 are 180mm width tires, but can someone more accurately measure the width of the tire inflated to say 18PSI? I'd also like to know more accurately the distance from the center of the axle to the widest part of the tire, but from pictures and my guesstimation, I put it between 220mm and 240mm which would both be fine (swingarm narrows a bit beyond 200mm).

Thanks for any help.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
    heirhead likes this.
  16. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went out & tried to measure with suboptimal tools. I got 180.975 at the widest point which is kinda a rub rail for lack of knowing what it’s really called. Looks like it could be shaved off if needed but it wouldn’t gain you much, maybe the .975 at the most.

I was surprised that it was so close to the stated size of the tire.

ETA, I got approx 260mm from axle out to widest point.

Anyway sounds like a cool project!
    I hope you do a build thread.

We have 2 VV’s for camp bikes. I’m think of a similar build & was just getting ready to post the question, What bike would be good for a fat tire bike with a little more power?

I know the VV’s can’t be hopped up any to speak of. I just need enough to keep the cars off my ass.

I bookmarked Kubiak’s great build but that’s way more bike than I could use.

Sorry for the ramble. I do that sometimes. Again, good luck with it & keep us posted, please.

Murf
  17. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the measurements. Really helps.

Not my original idea. You've seen Kubiak's build (but with some different (TW) parts)
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/kubiaks-tw650.808141/
    [​IMG]

I'd be starting with my G650GS Sertao with a DRZ400E front end (non-USD forks).
    IMG_20210528_125349442.jpg Hard bags will get replaced with Kriegas I run on my other bike.

With the 50HP it would be able to maintain freeway speeds and with the upgraded forks and shock it handles really well, at the moment.

- Marty
  18. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep us up to date please. Did you see the radius measurement I added? Is that going to be an issue?
  19. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Don't think it'll be a problem. Swingarm is pretty wide compared to the tire.
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm back with a couple of more questions.

I'm trying to figure out if there will be a lot of trouble with spoke angles trying to make the BMW hubs work with the VanVan rims. The rear is the biggest concern as I don't have any alternative rims available. Custom front rims are available but cost somewhat more than the OEM rim.

If anyone can take a couple of measurements I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to know the distance between spokes/flanges and the spoke distance/diameter at both front and rear hubs.
    Like this
    IMG_20210930_140950431.jpg
    IMG_20210930_141111247.jpg
    They don't have to be extremely accurate, a few mm either way won't have too much impact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Still trying to decide what I should call this thing.
    VanVan 650?
    VV650GSa? (a for abomination)
    Or some variant of the TW650 name.