Suzuki VanVan 200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ponchushka, Feb 19, 2017.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    TMW?

Charles.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or VMW650GS
  3. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best I could approximate

Front 117 mm wide, flanges 135 and 165 mm in diameter. The disc side is larger.

Rear 154 mm wide, flanges 160 diameter on chain side may 165 on brake side. The rear diameter measurements are iffy. Very difficult to get a good measurement on the bike.

I hope this helps!
    Murf
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Murf. Much better info than I could get otherwise.

- Marty
  5. lvflyer

lvflyer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone - I am in the market for the Suzuki VanVan RV200 or the Yamaha TW200. I am "on the fence" concerning the two. I have ONE MAJOR question - does anybody have any information concerning parts availability for the VanVan going forward?

I contacted Suzuki America and they were UNSURE how long with their guess being about THREE more years. That answer leaves me VERY concerned compared to the Yamaha TW200 even though I don't want it to be true.
  6. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno about Suzuki, but Honda still had parts 10 years later for the 2-year-only Super Magna, 2-year-only V30 Magna, and one-year-only GL650 and CX650. Even 20 years later they still had a reasonable selection of parts. Now 35 years on Honda doesn't even have consumables for those bikes anymore. Water pumps, head gaskets, cam chain tensioners and guides, clutch springs, you name it. Fortunately there are both NOS parts on eBay, and dedicated people who love those bikes, and have made replacement parts. I can now have my non-rebuildable V65 water pump rebuilt. It ain't cheap, but it's the only option. I can still find CX500 cam chains on eBay from time to time, and David Silver Spares makes a bunch of replacement parts for the CX bikes.

I'd assume suzuki would do the same, and the fans may also in 20 years decide to do whatever they can to keep the bikes on the road.

My advice is to buy what you really want, and damn the future parts availability. You'll enjoy it more while you own it. Once it starts getting older and less reliable, you can either join the community and start scouring eBay when you need parts, like all the rare and old bike owners do... or just sell. You'll have a rare bike that may command a few more dollars than a similar tw200 would.

Charles.
    hensmen and TN_twowheeladdict like this.
  7. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:

For me it really depends on where and how you are planning to ride. When I saw the Van Van in a dealership the first time it called to me. A TW was sitting next to it and I just thought it was another dual sport. If I were going to buy a dual sport I would buy the KLX300 over a TW unless you are truly trailblazing.

The Van Van has been sold and is popular in many other countries so even if it was only brought to the states for 3 model years there should be plenty of supply if you look worldwide. My Van Van will probably be the last bike in my shop as I age out of riding. I can hop on it and ride at a walking pace if desired, it can run a true 50 mph comfortably all day long, and will top out at 70 with a 150 lb rider on board, or 60 with me on board.

I would not recommend it as your only bike unless your use is mostly just casual riding, suburban commuting, exploring country lanes.

Not sure what parts one would need to keep the bike running a long time that are speciality parts just for the Van Van.

IMG_2395.JPG IMG_2409.JPG IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2480.JPG IMG_2484.JPG
    heirhead, Scoozi, latigid and 2 others like this.
  8. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure filters and chain/sprockets would be common with other bikes.
    If you're wearing out other parts, you may have been better off with a different bike.
  9. TN_twowheeladdict

TN_twowheeladdict Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to see how many Van Van's out there have more than 30,000 miles on them.
  10. latigid

latigid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my van van delivered on Tuesday. Let's try to keep this thread alive!

IMG_1796.JPG
    Klay, 1Scorpion, Arbolmano and 3 others like this.
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Except for fuel injection, it's the same motor as the DR-200. Wheels from the TW-200 probably fit the Van Van & shouldn't be too hard to make fit if they don't. Parts shouldn't be too big of an issue as long as you're riding the bike within the limits of it's ability. The only parts I've replaced on ours (Handle bars & turn signals) has been due to crash damage.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  12. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoke count is different between the two.
  13. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Parts shouldn’t be an issue as though not big in the US, the Mighty Van Van is selling elsewhere as 125cc. DR 200 indeed very close motor. I’m with CC, get one if you can and not worry about parts. It will be a dealable issue if indeed you need a part. Funny, I never thought about waay down the road the VV being collectible only as very rideable when I’m old and feeble.
  14. Remy Marathe

Remy Marathe n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings all, I had a question for those of you with the T-Rex racing rack for the VanVan. For the center attachment, would it make sense for me to add a thin rubber shim around the grab bar to protect it, like you see on handlebar accessories? The idea of clamping metal on shiny metal and adding vibration sounds bad, but I also don't want to compromise the load bearing ability.

Particularly when I'm considering a 46L hard case that's already at the rack's rated limit...
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DR200 motor parts are going to be circulating in the Asian markets for years to come. (and already have been for decades) I wouldn't worry about owning a VanVan.
    latigid likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Like others have said you'll be able to find parts from somewhere, if you actually need something. That and there will always be parts still floating around at dealers way past that or oven still sitting at Suzuki corporate.

It's a very basic basic with the core consumables being very common any way.
    If you like this style of bike then I'd get one vs the carb TW any day.

If you want something with the same seat height and same gentle power delivery look at the XT250.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Would not hurt to wrap metal bars before attaching something, but metal to metal bolting together happens all the time in many things you own...how is your bike and car put together?

The only downside to using rubber shim/wrapping is the rubber will actually degrade over time to the point the bolting together goes loose then as that spacing goes away.

When you bolt metal to metal that does not happen.
  18. Remy Marathe

Remy Marathe n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I hadn't considered the degradation angle much. I'm mainly trying to avoid permanently marring that shiny grab bar if I don't have to, but hell- if it's really tight enough maybe that'll be the safest part.
  19. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a bigger tank made?

hh
    wwm