SV650 Wannabe Motard/Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Russ S, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am hoping that russ hasnt become a casualty of this economy...

:becca
  2. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to build an electric bike like this:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUfYkvSPldI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
  4. h2omoto

h2omoto Jump Seat

Oddometer:
    Krahe that electric bike is freakin SICK!!! Now that was some serious fab work. AWESOME!!! :super
  5. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoy original designs, and this guy was a student in college. Much respect for someone that can do something like that.
  6. unrealtrip

unrealtrip Flirting with oblivion

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool, although the video was like 98% about bodywork and just a tiny bit on the electronics :(

But that aside, this SV thread is killer, very inspiring and awesome work :clap
  7. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    Just sort of stumbled across this looking for info about changing the rear brake arm.
    Definitely more involved that what I am up to. :rofl
    Wow.
  8. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    What ever happened to this bike/thread? I mean damm what a concept! Anyone know?
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2
  10. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  11. london610

london610 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks amazing Russ!!! Truely something of beauty. I'd have to say my first thoughts as to where you'd go next would be maybe some branding/logo on the airbox cover at the front, though to be honest i'm not sure it'd need it.

Also are you planning on covering the exhaust? I've seen a clever looking wrap on one of the thinstrom threads that i know you follow that looks kind of like oversize razer blade's (obviously not sharp) wrapped around the exhaust and overlapped. Might look amazing on your front exhaust too, if maybe not so shiny as the pic i've seen before.

Yet again though, thanks for sharing it with us!! :freaky

SM 610 08' In London Town UK :lol3
    possibly a Ulysees on the way ...
  12. Mej

Mej Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that is a nice looking sm, whats it like to ride?
  13. Syscrush

Syscrush Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM Duke wheels?
  14. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Nice job russ! :beer

Question: did you change the Triple Tree? it looks like a different rake angle than standard naked SV....
  15. mmitchell57

mmitchell57 Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer:
    I'm not Russ, but I'll jump to this one. It's definitely not using the stock triples. They couldn't be bored out to accept those forks, so they most like what ever bike those forks came off of. I can't remember what it was right off. Been a while since i've read the thread.
  16. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought this bike several years ago as a wreck with the intent of using it to satisfy my desire to modify, design, fabricate. So you and I will probably never see this bike in a "finished" state. I do want to ride it however, so my latest efforts are to get it rideable for upcoming warmer weather.

I'll want to at least give the dull-looking carbon parts a clear coat to bring out the weave..........maybe a paint scheme to give it more spice. I'll leave some carbon showing though. If I can find a logo I like to stick on, that would be OK but I don't plan to mask and paint one.

Regarding the ride quality, I really haven't fully evaluated it but slow speed manuvering is nice and neutral, better than with the GSXR trees with shortened '00 DRZ forks. The new combination of trees and forks increased trail by .8", much needed over the previous 2.5" trail.

The bike has YZ trees with RM USD forks on it now. Upper YZ tree had to be bored out 2mm on the diameter to fit the forks. I thought it would fit but it didn't. I chose the YZ trees over RM because the clamp bolt bosses on the lower are on the front of the tree and don't reduce the already lacking steering range (~30 deg each way). Forks are shortened (via cut springs) to 8" travel. Spring rate is 7.8 kg/mm and feels pretty stiff, even with damping at full soft (Mobile 1 synth ATF oil). but I'll ride it a bit before deciding what to change.

Rake is 25 deg, similar to a dirt bike. The angle of the pic makes it look more raked out than it is.

17" wheels are '98 CBR600F3. I changed from SV wheels because the SV front wouldn't quite fit between the now 7.5" fork spacing. Rear wheel just needed the brake rotor spaced out about .12" to match the SV wheel. The rim is 5" (vs SV 4.5") and I put a wider 180 on it.

Now I need to get off the computer and go out there and work on my rear-wheel speedometer setup. SV OEM speedo fits a 17mm axle and I now have a 20mm up front. I'm also looking to improve the stock speedo's over indication bias by hooking it up to the taller rear wheel..........since I have to hack it up anyway. Sensor is a Hamlin hall effect and the spacers I added to the rear brake rotor will serve as trigger magnet holders........need 4 equally spaced per the SV sites.
  17. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This new configuration has an aluminum tank integrated with the subframe.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Why? Some issues developed with the kevlar/glass tank of previous episodes. I rode the bike with that tank on it for a couple months and noticed that the top and sides were getting softer. My conclusion is that I cheaped out too much on the epoxy I used and it didn't resist the gasoline well. Racers and others have used West Systems epoxy successfully but I didn't know the difference before I made my tank. The other reason for the softening is probably because I didn't vacuum bag the layup while curing the epoxy. This would result in poor resin impregnation of the fibers allowing fuel to penetrate the microscopic voids. I had "sealed" the tank with urethane gas tank sealer but fuel evidently got through the barrier. With fuel out of the tank for a week, it stiffened back up again.

Needless to say, the kevlar/glass tank failure was very discouraging and I had decided to put the bike back to stock. After a few months of no bike project to work on, I decided to give it another try with some techniques I know well from the aircraft industry, riveted aluminum sheetmetal with B2 airplane gas tank sealer.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I also was not satisfied with the seating position on the kevlar/glass tank. The lines of the bike looked good to me but I felt like I was sitting up too high on the bike. Watching my brother ride it confirmed my thoughts, definitely perched on top of the bike rather than part of it. The new aluminum tank configuration holds less fuel (5.3 gal vs 6.9) but the seating position is better.
  18. LeChatNoir

LeChatNoir artiste

Oddometer:
    zoinks!

why wouldn't suzuki build something like this
    the wee-strom doesn't come close to the awesomeness found here
  19. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Russ.

I'd like to see a bike from suzuki that's something that is a cross between a RMZ450X and a Wee Strom (plus a little SV650 in there also).

I want to find a crashed Wee strom and build a kick ass dual sport/adventure bike out of it.

Or just buy a KTM Adventure. But I don't wan't 1000cc's. Maybe if KTM made a 650 adventure Vtwin? Best bike now is an Aprillia dosoduro. Europe has a Shiver with a fairing!
  20. Krahe

Krahe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any plans for some sort of side crash protection (posts maybe)? I figure it is a matter of time before it gets dropped on its side or something. All that shiny is too pretty to get scratched up.

Oh and excellent job on the new bodywork!