SV650 Wannabe Motard/Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Russ S, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Syscrush

Syscrush Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motosliders would work great on there.

True! That is really wicked.

BTW - I never would have guessed in a million years that those wheels are off a CBR. A 180 rear on this bike seems like a kind of odd choice!

Also, I'm sure you know this, but moving the sensor to the back so that the speedo reads correctly (or closer, anyhow) will mean that the odo will read low. Decide for yourself which matters more - accurate speedo or accurate odo.

Lastly, I'll just point out 2 things about your front suspension:

1) Cutting those springs to shorten the forks will make them stiffer. Dunno if the rate you quoted was the nominal rate before cutting, or the calculated rate after cutting.

2) If the springs are too stiff, you can't really compensate by decreasing damping, because the result will be a front end that's under-damped, which is prone to oscillation.

I assume you know all of this stuff, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

It really is an amazing project - I'll never forget the first time I saw some shots of that airbox cover.
  2. mmitchell57

mmitchell57 Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer:
    Russ, your killing it! I like the new tank and your method for building it. I don't think you'll see to many issues going smaller tank other then less weight high up. Once again, good work man!
  3. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the kind and positive comments on my project.

I have no plans to cover the exhaust. I'm more in tune with minimalist design so if I don't think I need a heat shield or rock guard, I won't put one on. However, if I ever get back to putting knobbies on, I'll make some sort of bash plate.

I put a 180 on the back 'cause it was used and cheap, it's a street motard, and I'm not above posing:D.

Spring rate on cut springs is measured at 7.8 kg/mm and I had estimated that would be what I wanted based on stock V-Strom spring rate (9.1 IIRC) but I probably underestimated how heavy a V-Strom is up front. I have more spring options to mess with when I get back to that.

Speedo is off a different bike with a lot more miles logged on the ODO than my bike has anyway so I'm not so I'm not concerned about the underreading ODO. BTW, I tested my speedo mod and it works great but I haven't checked it against a standard yet. I ran into a little problem on the first try but remembered reading on an SVRider forum that all the trigger magnets have to have the same N-S polarity. Found one reversed, fixed it , and all is well.

Crash protection for the tank/frame: I have some thru-bolt delrin sliders (Motosliders I think) that I picked up a while back but never installed. Now's probably the time. I also added a couple layers of kevlar to the tail section layup to serve as an abrasion-resistant guard for the tank. The tail section wings protrude about 2" on either side, fit tight to the tank and and are strongly mounted for that purpose.
  5. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like what you have done to the SV, makes me think.
  6. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a twin, but the power is there, find a 640 Adventure.

Or make a 690:
    http://cmgonline.com/content/view/1674/255/
  7. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And it's really great if you have some paint that needs mixing:lol3
  8. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad A$$!

Cool project!
  9. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is one cool bike, you did a great job on it and put a ton of hours in it!
    How does it ride and handle on gravel roads or on rough country paved roads?

10. moto_loco

moto_loco poser extraordinaire

Oddometer:

holy mother of righteousness, russ! this is ingenious, resourceful
    and just cool.

very impressive concept. thanks for sharing - and please keep
    us informed of progress.

:clap :clap :clap
  11. ilcylic

ilcylic n00b

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I love the aluminum version of the fuel tank. Are you using bucked rivets or blind rivets?

If you need still more trail, I think you should be able to get that by swapping the fork legs left for right, rotating them 180 degrees in the clamps, adding a longer brake line, and re-mounting the tire backwards.
  12. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing build. I thought about doing the same thing, but ended up trading for a DR instead. I don't have the necessary skills to do what you're doing.
  13. tobbik

tobbik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Russ,

I have a question about the original setup with GSXR triples and DRZ legs.

What kind of spacer collars did you make? I'm interested in the measurements, the material and the tools involved.

Thanks, and for the record, I adore your bike!
  14. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In answer to the question about rivet types: A couple dozen of them are pulled CherryMax. I used those where I couldn't easily reach with a bucking bar. The rest (250-300 I'm guessing) are driven #4s with a few #5s used in places where the thickness of the overlapping pieces approached .25".

Regarding the old front end with '02 GSXR750 triples and DRZ 49mm forks: I wouldn't recommend trying to duplicate that arrangement. I had to really force that to work with collars around the forks so larger ID triple clamps would clamp down on the 49mm forks. The upper collar was .020" thick and the lower was .095" thick. Also, the upper clamp has to be drilled and other special parts made to fit some sort of aftermarket bar clamps since it is designed for clip-on bars. It's what I had to work with so I made it work but it was not an elegant solution.
  15. tobbik

tobbik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the answers, the DRZ was my backup option. But it seems I have found the fork, I actually wanna use for my project (DR650 - more offset than DRZ and pinch screws on outside for extra angle). They are hard to find though.
  16. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic job. Simply outstanding.
  17. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Easiest is to find a DRZ front end and offer to swap it with a DR650 owner.

They may not even charge you any difference.
  18. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics of my SV project bike painted and with a seat cover installed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks great, Russ. Awesome job. :bow
    You are one talented individual.
  20. Russ S

Russ S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And a pick of the rear wheel speedo sensor and trigger magnets installation.
    [​IMG]

The 4 neodymium magnets and Hamlin sensor are cheap from Digikey. I had to make a bracket for the sensor and attached it to the brake caliper carrier. The larger diameter rear wheel effectively makes the stock speedo indicate much closer to true mph than the stock front wheel sensor setup.

Over this past weekend I cut down and installed some softer springs in the forks (.64 kg/mm vs .78 kg/mm). The ride to work is much more comfortable now with the forks absorbing the bumps better. Now I need to consider what to do about the rear shock that kicks me pretty hard over sharp bumps.