SV650 Wannabe Motard/Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Russ S, Nov 27, 2007.

1. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    DaBit
    What are you running for a rear shock?
    I'm working on swapping YZ forks onto an 05 SV650, hope to have it rolling in a month or so.
  2. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still the original POS. The problem with finding a replacement shock with more travel is the limited space available (rear exhaust header is also routed through the swingarm). I could get myself a ZX6R shock or something. Would be better, but still limited travel while I want travel somewhere around 200mm / 8"

The long-travel-shock problem is easy enough to solve if I allowed myself to cut/weld on the frame and swingarm, but I expect that the weakening in the HAZ would be significant and unacceptable, so I won't go that way. Fitting an EXC swingarm or something is also out; that would change the wheelbase enough to lose the title on the bike.

I do have an Ohlins shock for testing in the shed. With some work I might be able to fit it.
  3. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    I have same problems. Plan to start out with a GSX750 shock. It looks like similar travel but about 1 inch longer overall. Guess I'll start by making some new links to get the fork angle to something more like a dirt bike. Also bought an SV1000 shock, looks to be exact travel and length but does have adjustable damping and heavy spring. When I feel rich I'll call up cogent and get a custom one, maybe 90-100mm of stroke.

4. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also made some new links to get front and rear in balance. But still, travel is limited.

Having a custom shock made is always an option, but an expensive one. That would cost far more than the total cost in the build until now.

imho the best option would be to replace the swingarm with one out of an RFS KTM or something, redo the subframe and maybe the rear exhaust routing, and use a PDS shock with the subframe as the other mounting point. That would allow as much travel as you can stand seat-height wise. But government rules prohibit that.
  5. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a longer shock made for my dl project but while searching for it I downloaded a complete list of shocks that Ohlins sell (make/model etc), which by default gives overall length of shock as well as travel. This way you can figure out what the length/travel you may need and then search for a shock that matches that on ebay or equivalent. From memory the closest thing I found was a old yamaha xt600 or something. Might be an idea anyhow. If you need a copy of the ohlins cat let me know as I think I have it in pdf form.
  6. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    Sure would like to see that PDF. The Ohlins site is pretty tough to navigate.
  7. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    may I also have a copy ?
    Thanks,Ed
  8. DaBit

DaBit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes please!
  9. MikeJansen

MikeJansen Lost

Oddometer:
  10. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks!:clap
  12. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
  13. lostdogproducts

lostdogproducts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you can tell me more about this rear wheel speed sensor set up. I was able to find and order the parts as you said. I purchased the 55140 3H 02 A sensor.

Attached Files:

14. ptmxtwo

ptmxtwo n00b

Oddometer:
    "hey dad. mom wants U to shovel the snow off the front walk........." :clap
  15. AHRMA17L

AHRMA17L Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ThIs is just awesome and I am glad the photos are still here. I have an SV and absolutely love the bike aside from the peg position. Time for me to get to work!