SW-Motech panniers.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by gcain, Jun 17, 2019.

1. gcain

gcain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just fitted some SW-Motech panniers to my new-to-me '12 GS.
    They deadset look :gdog :deal

The only issue is I can't decide which side to mount the canisters. The front looks like it will get in the way of the pillions foot and on the back it looks like the lid won't open without removing the bottle first and I'm guessing easier to steal.

Can someone who's fitted or used these suggest the right place to fit it please or if it does get in the way if the pillion peg.

Maybe I don't even really want them...

Thanks in advance.
  2. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It gets in the way of the pillion's leg.

This is the best pic I have at the moment. I don't usually carry a passenger so if I do, I'll take the bottles off and stash them somewhere else. I have a 2l Mosko bottle pouch on each side of the upper crash bars so that might house a pair of them (assuming I'm carrying no wine) and the other two can go in the panniers or on the back of the duffle.

The only other place that's available is the side of the top box. It's a little too high up to be carrying fluids which are of course heavy, but it's not the end of the world and frankly if you have a pillion you've already got extra weight up top and out the back.

if you don't have a top box, I suggest looking at a way of attaching them to your duffle. Maybe a molle panel and a couple of molle bottle pouches?
    Caves.jpg
  3. gcain

gcain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bobby.
    Like you I seldom have a pillion when adventuring. Might just keep them off unless I'm heading somewhere as I don't have a topbox.
  4. G_in_R

G_in_R n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with the SW Motech Inner bags sold as accessories for the TRAX ADV and TRAX ION panniers.
    On the bestie they are listed as “TRAX M/L inner bag. For TRAX side cases. With volume expansion.” (Link)
  5. The Cone of Silence

Oddometer:
    I have the TRAX ADV inner bags and I think they're excellent. If you disregard the amount of space they take up, which isn't insignificant, they have the following benefits:

Protection - Excellent padding to stop your gear rubbing against the sides of the pannier.
    Water protection - drop your bike enough and your panniers might misshape and leak a little - these help keep your gear dry (although they aren't 100% waterproof).
    Convenience - the ability to leave boxes on the racks but quickly take out all your gear and into your tent/ under cover without having to carry loose items. You can zip them up fully, too.
    Organisation - you can still put thin items down the sides of them e.g. magazine, chopping mat etc and they have little pockets for small stuff.
    Volume expansion - you can keep them small or go large. One you keep in 'expanded' format to fill out the TRAX - ADV 45l pannier and for the 35l exhaust side pannier you can keep it in 'unexpanded' format.

If the only downside of these (aside from the price) is that they take up space, then maybe consider taking less gear. If you really want to take all of your gear (which I understand and respect) and there isn't room for the inner bags, then maybe just get one for the pannier you're putting the most valuable/ fragile gear in.

Another downside now I think about it - they aren't freezer bags so they don't keep your beer cold.
  6. G_in_R

G_in_R n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bobby.
    Very useful to read about your thoughts and experience. A lot of what you wrote also concerns the BMW bags I have (and am selling). Especially waterproofness. They are great for that. However, on the down side, they also take up a lot of space due to the material. The hard plastics materials used for the BMW bags make folding difficult and too much packing space is lost. Also the fit is horrible, so you are either stuffing the bags into the panniers, and extracting with force. I am okay with the price, especially considering the BMW bags, which are almost twice as expensive.

I was also thinking of a TRAX ADV Lid bag in addition to the pannier bags. Used that?

Garry
  7. The Cone of Silence

Oddometer:
    I don't have the lid bags, but I do have elasticated netting in each lid to retain anything I want kept separate from the main inner bag e.g. a pair of flip flops, quick-to-reach waterproof pants, spare gloves etc.

I'm not sure what I'd keep in the lid bags to be honest. I keep all valuable paperwork, passports etc in a small organiser which goes in my top box (powered) along with charging laptop, ipad, camera, torch, lantern and anything else I want to keep dry. I'd rather it remained in the inner bag than secured to the pannier lid.
  8. G_in_R

G_in_R n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. Then we have an identical setup for the side panniers - I also have the netting for both sides.
    I purchased the BMW topcase. So that's different.

How did you do power the topcase?
  9. The Cone of Silence

Oddometer:
    I installed a Hex EzCAN, then ran a 7.5A circuit out the back under the passenger seat and into a hole I drilled in the top box. Inside there's a 12v dual USB 3.0 charger and a cigarette lighter adaptor that I bought from eBay for next to nothing. The inner bag still fits just fine.

Inside the top box
    1.jpg

From the top
    2.jpg

Spaghetti
    3.jpg

Inner bag
    4.jpg