SW-Motech panniers.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by gcain, Jun 17, 2019.

1. gcain

gcain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just fitted some SW-Motech panniers to my new-to-me '12 GS.
    They deadset look :gdog :deal

The only issue is I can't decide which side to mount the canisters. The front looks like it will get in the way of the pillions foot and on the back it looks like the lid won't open without removing the bottle first and I'm guessing easier to steal.

Can someone who's fitted or used these suggest the right place to fit it please or if it does get in the way if the pillion peg.

Maybe I don't even really want them...

Thanks in advance.
  2. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It gets in the way of the pillion's leg.

This is the best pic I have at the moment. I don't usually carry a passenger so if I do, I'll take the bottles off and stash them somewhere else. I have a 2l Mosko bottle pouch on each side of the upper crash bars so that might house a pair of them (assuming I'm carrying no wine) and the other two can go in the panniers or on the back of the duffle.

The only other place that's available is the side of the top box. It's a little too high up to be carrying fluids which are of course heavy, but it's not the end of the world and frankly if you have a pillion you've already got extra weight up top and out the back.

if you don't have a top box, I suggest looking at a way of attaching them to your duffle. Maybe a molle panel and a couple of molle bottle pouches?
    Caves.jpg
  3. gcain

gcain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bobby.
    Like you I seldom have a pillion when adventuring. Might just keep them off unless I'm heading somewhere as I don't have a topbox.