Swamp Donkey 2.0 The BW200/XR400 Mashup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Hurco550, Oct 28, 2019.

1. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need to link pics they can be uploaded directly.
  2. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    I think i got it fixed.
  3. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    I got a bit of tinkering done during the holiday break. Made a couple Top Hat spacers so that the RMZ Fork would accept the bw200 front axle. The unthreaded end will be split so that it will clamp the axle. The threaded end will not be split, but held in place with the pinch bolts on the fork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was down in Georgia for Christmas I found a front-wheel from an ATC 250R for sale about 40 minutes away for $40. It is an 11 by 6.5 wheel which I will run on the rear. It is funny how close the gold anodized finish is between the Honda and Yamaha wheel.
    [​IMG]

I ordered a front and rear tire off of Amazon. The rear is a 24 X 10 R11 and the front that I ordered is a 27x 9 R12. The rear mounted up just fine but it became pretty obvious that the front was going to be far too big and bulky for the project. I made a trip up to Iron Pony and picked up a 25 x 8 R 12 swamp Lite for the front, which seems to be a favorite pick by the bw200 guys. It took some finagling with ratchet straps and some starting fluid to get it Seated on the rim.

Rear.
    [​IMG]

Front.
    [​IMG]

I made up a quick tear hub, swing arm and triple trees from wood just to do a bit of mockup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The forks are a little bit on the long side so I will probably have to use a combination of internal lowering and sliding them up a bit in the triples to get everything where I need it to sit, but overall it is fairly close. The swingarm looks a little bit long in the mock-up but it is only an inch longer than the stock xr400 swing arm , and I have to leave myself enough room to build a jackshaft in front of the wheel yet keep it far enough back that my foot won't be into it.

[​IMG]
    enduro16 and Bucho like this.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interested in how the swing arm comes together. Disk brakes in back?

I have a kdx200 that i would like to fat tire.

Going from linkage to monoshock?
  5. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    The wood swingarm really only places the rear wheel where its going to go, but doesnt "really" represent the swingarm itself. It'll likely be a disk brake, but i havent ruled out a bw200 front drum instead. On the tw200 swap I did, it didn't hesitate to lock up the rear wheel, and the riding I do will likely not heat up the rear enough to notice fade. I am planning on building the new swing arm with the same mounting points to use the original xr400 linkage and shock. Itll likely need re sprung/ valved as i've read that they are soft from the factory and I'm not a light guy at 260lbs with clothes on.

Here is a quick sketch i did on CAD to show how the swingarm will be constructed, side view.
    [​IMG]
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How that swing arm going?
  7. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You OK man? Hoping to learn how to build a swing arm.
  8. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, sorry. The project got shelved for a minute. It will resume as a xr600 powered fat tire bike. I ended up buying an xr400 with a street title that will use this lump and my other time has been taken up by my scratch built dr650 powered bobber. To many projects lol

View attachment 2124313

IMG_20191218_220505_415.jpg
    scot_douglas, Bucho and greasyfatman like this.
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you working on now? Still a wooden swing arm?
  10. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    voting for the fat tire project, it's way wickeder and the women won't be able to stay away...lol
    was that a typo for the fat tire engine, xr400 or 600? I vote 400 lol
    Thanks again for sharing, good stuff!!!
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    haha project got back burnered for a bit. Still working on the hardtail bobber, a v strom, a couple customer jobs, a sportster, a 49 ford pickup, a kitchen remodel and so on and so forth. TO MANY PROJECTS!!

when it does resume, itll be powered by an xr600r lump
    Jimmy the Heater and Bucho like this.
  13. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Bucho likes this.
  14. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Haha funny you should mention that. I heavily studied his build thread and swingarm design when drawing mine up. That's an awesome machine.
  15. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    To some of ya'lls possible dismay, this bike has taken a turn (which is par for the course in ol Hurco's ADHD garage) I ended up putting the xr400 together as a trail bike and decided to build another tw200 up as a fat tire bike. The plan is to do many of the tricks that I used to accomplish the first one, but with a few upgrades, or at least better ridability, mainly offroad. The two main upgrades over the last one being a disc front brake and retaining the stock airbox instead of a pod filter.

My buddy Alex (who now owns my first tw200 fat tire bike) went and snagged this beauty of a 1989 model t dub off of facebook marketplace for a cool $100. Some may argue that is double what its worth, but oh well. Complete with a terribly tweeked subframe and death by "chugging florida swamp water into the motor". Oh well, I've done more with less, and its a good skeleton to start with...
    Alex needed a rear wheel for another one of his projects, so here is how the old girl came to me.
    twchassis.jpg

I built up a couple quick brackets to go on a harbor freight furniture dolly to hold the chassis at ride height to be able to move the bike around the shop easier until I get the wheels and suspension worked up and finalized.
    twdolly.png

twondolly.png

As I mentioned earlier, this thing had a pretty severely tweaked subframe. It appear to be more of a result of something (very) heavy falling on it more so than a crash. On the last one I built a subframe from scratch, but on this one id like to keep more of the rear cowl / fender seat even if they are shortened and modified. I set out to straighten out the frame at least back to a more usable level.

Here's where I started. I should've taken a better picture with the fender removed, but you still get the idea. The left rear frame rail was sitting about 3/4" lower than the right.
    swbentsubframe.png

If I've ever I have learned anything in over a decade in the metal working field, no mechanical advantage is "unfair" and the sketchier the rig with ratchet straps, leverage and general sketchyness, the more effective it is.
    twsubframefix.png

After bending it as far as this rig would take it, its not quite perfect, but is quite a bit closer than before, now with only maybe 1/8" instead of the 3/4" variance that I started with. Good enough for an old dirbike and pleny good enough for my needs.
    twsubframestraight.png

I am picking up a good/better engine from a buddy of mine and a set of ttr225 disc brake forks at Barber Vintage Fest this year. The BW triples will have to be bored out from 33mm to 35mm, but that's not a huge deal as there is plenty of meat around the stock bores. The axle mount will have to be bored from 15mm to 17mm, which is a little more worrisome. but I do not think it will be detrimental.

I also picked up an xt350 seat and tank from the local mc boneyard. So far I'm sitting at $20 for the pair which is dirt cheap these days. Even if the tank need some pin holes fixed.. The seat and subframe seat mounts will need modified a bit and the seat re covered. I think it will do well, and with the super low stock tw seat height, I actually welcome the taller seat to make it feel less cramped for my 6' tall frame. I am also still able to flat foot anyways.

ywxt350.jpg

So thats pretty much where the project is sitting right now. I've started to build a rear hub, but am waiting to get a few parts back from the waterjet cutter.

Stand by for a not-as-cool but still-kinda-cool fat tire build.
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks good whats full lock turn look like? What forks did you ise?
    MZRider likes this.
  17. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Bw200 triples. Gonna bore them to accept xt225 forks. Will have to add a bit of meat (about 1/8") to the stops to keep the forks off the tank
  18. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the kitchen remodel or the woman behind it didn't swallow you up like I thought happened lol. Happy to see you back!
  19. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Well ya see, that's not entirely un-true. lol Kitchen still isn't clear done... I am also a school teacher. Most project progress usually stops abruptly Mid August when classes start and only slowly pick up speed again during the school year.

I teach welding and have a combined total of 74 students (40 for 3 hrs in the morning and 34 for 2.5 hours in the afternoon)

They keep me plenty busy, not to mention an almost 3 year old at home haha
  20. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any reason you don't start with a FATCAT. I think the FATCAT uses a ATV motor, so no jack shaft to deal with. I bet a 400EX atv motor could be made to fit easy. Or the 350X ATC motor.

Great projects.