Swapping Vetter for Hannigan

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Twinspleze, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 78 R100 last winter, with 16K on it. Pretty nice, sorting things out now. It came with one of those "highly collectable" Vetter fairings.

I have a Hannigan up in the garage attic, that's been waiting for this bike . Looking for any experiences others might have had with the electrical harness and plugs, and the transition. The harness was with the fairing, but haven't yanked it down yet, so I'm not speaking with any smarts here. Just feeling around to see what misery, or good news, I might be in for.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I have had a Hannigan ST fairing on my bike for 20 years. I replaced the wiring harness with one made by that guy that was building these fairings in the South. He did a good job and the harness was better than one I may have made myself. I think his name was Jerry but he folded up the shop because there was just not enough bussiness. He owned the original molds and was making the fairings for almost 10 years I think. He tried to sell the business in the end but there were no takers.

The plastic plug that makes the connection between the fairing and the bikes harness has broken but I have it working currently by reinforcing with a wire tie. Have sourced a replacement but not had to work it in yet because the shade tree repair works so well.

I don't like the bulb sockets in the front turn signals and their method of attaching to the fairing. Still trying to come up with a part or method that would work better.
  3. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply, and I had read your post sometime back. I get in the weeds on these wiring and connection plugs, if they don't match up.

I actually had a conversation with Jerry before he closed shop. Was discussing getting a new lower, as one has some damage. Think I still have his number.

Love the look of the fairing, but I'm sweating the electrical. Time to pull it down and start considering I guess.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    You know I seem to never get any sort of fear feelings from DC electrical wiring. It's not a touchy, feely thing like measuring bearings and such to .001". Wiring is a "slam, bang, thank you mam" sort of thing.

Does your Hannigan fairing have a wiring harness? Do you have a wiring diagram? The wiring diagrams in the Clymer's manual are good. It's worth the cost of one of these to have the diagram.
  5. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have both Haynes and Clymer manuals, so good wiring diagrams. The harness was with the fairing, but admit to not carefully inspecting yet. The fairing has gauges, a clock and volt/ meter gauge, both with wires clipped.

Like I shared, I'm guilty of not having the fairing down from shop rafters for serious look at things yet. Shop floor still with 3 bikes, and sorting the 78 R100 out. Need to tidy things up before taking more floor space with the next effort.

Are you familiar with Hannigans, and the quirky issues associated with their harnesses and plugs ins I should be aware of? The Vetter electrics all working well, so things from bikes electrics are fine.

There are two plug receptacles on the Hannigan, one squarish, the other more narrow or elongated. It was a very rushed exchange when purchased, me driving 200 miles, the owner having to leave right away, so no chances to ask questions about what he had going on there.

I guess searching the net for Hannigan wiring info is next.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I'll keep you posted, and get some photos.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    My Hannigan only has the one squarish plug on the left side. Sounds like the other plug you have might be for the clock and voltmeter? My square plug is a nine wire plug with only eight of the terminals used. I replaced the Hannigan fairing wiring harness about 10 or 12 years ago but don't remember what exactly was wrong with the old harness other than it was old. I was real happy with the product I received from Jerry. It was much better made than anything I might have made myself.

I'm going to add a relay for the headlight so all the current doesn't go thru the switch and I'm going to hook up a horn soon. I haven't ever had a horn on my bike in 20 years.
  7. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both Hannigan and Vetter used Molex plugs for the wiring connection at the fairing wall. A little planning is all it takes to wire either of these fairings. That and the ability to solder.
  8. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found some older postings you wrote on this topic, so I'm feeling better. I'm a reasonably talented hacker , so I will persevere! Thanks again.
  9. Twinspleze

Twinspleze Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's what I really wanted to know, so thank you very much. Yes, after that it's sort of a connect the dots thing, and a bit of sorting and trying should get me there.

Thanks a lot for your input. I'm very excited to get that Hannigan in operation. I bought 6 years ago, and didn't want to put on my R90, as it's the Monza Blue, and fairing is black. So I've been waiting for the right bike, and finally found it !!
  10. kcoralj

kcoralj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those Hannigans are beautiful fairings, it must be all the wind tunnel testing.
    Pictures make them seem too tall but in person they are near perfect.
  11. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was no wind tunnel testing, although Hannigan claimed that they'd tested them long after production began.

The main shell is a copy of the Kabe. Lowers were developed later, which are a direct copy of the R100RS. This is not meant to diminish Hannigan's work. What the guy has achieved is nothing short of remarkable.
  12. kcoralj

kcoralj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I guess he had everyone fooled, he managed to produce such a high quality fairing without any wind tunnel testing.
    I had thought that the lowers were simply the stock BMW parts.
    It's been a while since I've seen one, the last was on an oilhead.
  13. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that many fairings have the benefit of wind-tunnel testing. Even the RS was tested only when nearly ready for production.

I bought the 6th or 7th Hannigan built. My brother-in-law got the 7th or 6th. We rode from Vermont to Toronto to purchase and install them. Here's a short tale about that adventure:

I met Dave and Ruth Anne Hannigan at Loudon about 1978 and was immediately taken with the fairing, I started a correspondence with him, and we rode to Toronto to install the fairings. It was a nightmare; he hadn't made bracketry yet, so we mounted them on Windjammer brackets. The fairings bounced like a busty woman running down stairs, and we had stop every 50 miles to tighten the hardware. The installation took almost two days. We slept in a tent near railroad tracks, not knowing that Canada really uses their rail system. We found out that night.
    sprouty115, kcoralj and Jim K in PA like this.
  14. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bud, are you sure of the year? I know the Sanckens (Susan and Bob; Susan used to write 'From Kaiser (later Kaiser II) and me' for the BMWMOA News for many years. I met them at Shakamak in 1976 and Susan was my field games passenger. My introduction to BMW Rallies. They also went to Toronto to get theirs installed - Kaiser was a black R90/6; Bob's Heinrich was a black R75/5. I rode Kaiser in the summer of 1977 when they visited overnight in Champaign, IL; the Hannigans were on by then. I moved to California in the fall of 1977 so I know it was before 1978, and I'm pretty sure it was the summer of 1976 they were installed. I rode all over with them to numerous rallies in 76 and 77, and I think the Hannigans were on for most of those trips. I barely remember those bikes without them.
  15. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right. It was probably '75 or '76. I was riding my R60/5 then, which got the Hannigan. By '78, I was riding my R100RS Replica.
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I have the original sales receipt for my Hannigan. It is from 1981. That's all I remember. Have to note more next time it appears. I think the bracket on mine is for a /2 bike because it reportedly fit Lapp's R69S perfectly. I had to add some shims to make it fit my /6.

Lapp sold his R69S to Ted Koppel I believe but still had the fairing and I bought that from him.

Too bad that the naked look has taken over so much. Someday fairings will be back in style I think.