SWILLIN ADV Route - 1150 Miles in Wi, IL and Ia

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Gerken, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Gerken

Gerken If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have these four tracks that I have been fine tuning over the years. They are all within the same general geographic location so I thought hey, why not connect them for a monster file good for a full week of adventure riding covering three states. Since the main tracks can be easily picked out by looking past the transfer route’s you can also ride your choice of loops as time during the year permits. This file covers the area of Southern Wisconsin, ILLinois and Iowa North hence the name SWILLIN. Okay, so the Iowa portion is not really in the north of the state but the letters work better this way. If you ride all tracks including the out and back option’s I come up with 1180 miles. This route is best suited for a big bike or KLR style machines. Numerous gravel stretches, lots of sporty pavement and a few lonely dirt roads. Elevation changes, river views and water crossings, terrific scenery, interesting waypoints and all around good times on two wheels. The four loops are my Hugellandschaft ride; Link Here , my Dixon Illinois Parks track; Link Here , a newer version of my track around the Illinois River Valley and Hennepin Canal I dubbed the “French Connection” and a loop through Iowa. Many thanks to inmates Craig6785 for help with the Jackson County Iowa side and Fork Up for turning me onto some tasty roads in the Putnam County Illinois area. Start wherever you wish but study the tracks carefully. I could go into a windy discussion here explaining them and all the must see waypoints but it’s best to message me if you are confused. Just remember there are four cyan/magenta loops in this file with 3 green connector tracks joining them. Optional out and back loops are in red. There are numerous hotels along the entire route if you wish not to camp. I spent a lot of time amassing the waypoints so please take the time to check them out, you won’t be disappointed. I would not have included them if they were not interesting or have some historical significance. I’m sure I missed some that you may find of interest so please explore and share. Same goes for the optional loops. Most are out and back but well worth the time to backtrack. The Cassville loop in Wisconsin is a prime example, do your best to ride that one if you like twisty gravel, creek crossings and ice cream. Food and beverage waypoints are some of my fav’s, your views may vary so you have been warned. I will add some pictures but there are so many in the course of nearly 1200 miles that I was hoping those who ride this could contribute. An important note about all my track postings. I am continually updating them due to road closures and perhaps finding a better route so always download the file from here before you leave as it may have been updated from what you downloaded months ago. I know I should put "Version 2.0" or something like that but some of these would be in double digits adding to confusion. Please be careful, obey the laws and be kind to all you meet along the way.

Attached Files:

Vargubau likes this.
  2. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pictures along the track
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Updated the track and added a few pictures from today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ForkUp

ForkUp n00b

Oddometer:
    Terry - Thanks! You have a great talent with finding all the good local places, and time investment in putting all these together is appreciated. Not many riders think the north half of Illinois has more than flatland cornfields. Hope many more riders try these out and report back what they think and any also extra cool stuff they find.
    bomber60015 likes this.
  5. Gerken

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to ride the Iowa portion recently and snapped a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Terry, we rode many of these roads a few weeks ago. Thanks for all your work putting these routes together and sharing them. Here is a couple of shots from our ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]