1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Swinging Bridges 2020 (MO)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by doniton2, Feb 6, 2020.

1. doniton2

doniton2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ***Tracks at bottom of post, no changes since 2017***

2020 MO Swinging Bridges Ride is May 2-3, 2020
    13th running of the Missouri SBR

Below are the details for the 13 running of the ride.

Tracks will be similar to last years, will post changes, shortcuts, etc (if any) later.

Start in St. Clair, MO See below for the Friday night Hotel info. Folks can leave their trucks there for the weekend if they are staying there on Friday night. Biscuits and gravy for breakfast in the morning to get you going. They have been gracious enough to allow trucks to park there even if not staying there.

Make sure you have someone to ride with that has a GPS....also Self sufficiency is the Key to Success....tubes, tools, GPS, Maps, snorkels, etc.....

Tracks will be posted here a couple weeks before the ride (in case of any changes), or you can see post 2 of the 2018 thread for the tracks (thanks BD!). A big thanks to Sieg, he cleaned them up and added waypoints for start of shortcuts, etc. The main tracks and options are about the same as previous years, which is 250 miles on main Saturday route (can be more with options), and 207 miles on main Sunday route. There are shortcuts for both days. On Saturday, you loose a lot of the good stuff on the shortcut IMHO, as it skips all the stuff down by the Current River, but if you need a shorter afternoon or are running behind, it may be a good option. You can decide at lunch at the Bixby store.
    The Sunday shortcut is also after the bridges and lunch, and is simply a more direct, but still scenic, route back to the hotel in St. Clair. A great option for those who need to get back on the road to head home Sunday afternoon.

Here's some historic info on the bridges. Note that they are disappearing rapidly , so get on this ride to see them while they are still swingin'
    http://www.millercountymuseum.org/bridges.html

Friday Night Hotel- May 1
    Budget Lodging
    866 S I-44 Outer Road
    St. Clair, MO
    636-629-1000
    Mention the ride when you make reservations to get a special discount on your room of $10 off whichever type of room you pick. You may be able to do better with another discount you are eligible for, so might be worth checking.

Saturday Night Hotel -May 2
    Best Western. Phone number is 573-336-4299
    When you call them make sure you mention the ride to get the special SBR room rate of $64.95 and change. You can cancel 24 hours in advance if you can't make the ride.

Camping nearby, state park and private if they are back in business after the flood a couple years back

Fuel Stops.....I would make sure you have a 90 to 100 mile range, if not plan accordingly. Or ride with a friend who has a big tank and carry a siphon hose.

Sunday Definitely stop at the Church Picnic in St. Anthony. If you leave about 8 am or so from the hotel, take a little time at the bridges...it works out to get there when they start serving lunch at 11:00 am....Fried Chicken, Roast Beef, all the fixins, and Pie. Maybe even a train ride! Definitely worth the stop for some good eats, and there are very welcoming to us riders!

Let's see who's in. So as not to clutter up the thread with the same long list, I'll keep track by updating this 1st post every so often. Just post up that you are coming, along with all the rest of your colorful comments, and I'll add you to the list in this first post.
    See you on the trail, updated GPS tracks, including alternatives will be posted later.

I’m trying this on my phone so if the link doesn’t work I’ll fix it tonight.
    https://advrider.com/f/attachments/sbr-2019-gpx.1632978/

STICKER PIC POLL open until 3/23. https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-swinging-bridge-sticker-poll.1433522/

Who's in?
    doniton2 + a few, NormandySR24, PAULD302, Slvrtundevl, CRHaden, sieg, JonnyH913, Eric W., jowannab, solo650+2, krazykarl70, dhollenberg, Wingingit74?, earz, g steezy, The Tallguy, skakezula, awarren, Scott in Missouri, Juicefer, Aspen, DRMitch+6-8, TigerTenere, NjoyRidn, HerbTarlek, adam_mccll+1, stlskybob, GlobalriderTrev, Stujiro+1,
  2. NormandySR24

NormandySR24 n00b

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are planning on going! We’ll both be first-timers
    solo650, doniton2 and justdirtyfun like this.
  3. PAULD3O2

PAULD3O2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be moving from MN (twin cities) to Lake St Louis at the end of March. I plan on making this my first ride down there on my DR650. I mostly ride solo.
    doniton2, sieg and justdirtyfun like this.
  4. Slvrtundevl

Slvrtundevl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
    doniton2 likes this.
  5. CRHaden

CRHaden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In with a bigger bike. Hoping no biblical floods this year!!

ETA +3 Now
    krazykarl70 and doniton2 like this.
  6. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    John (aka doniton2) thanks for taking the lead. I know first hand it can be a chore. If you make any changes or need any GPS/track editing I'm always there to help. And if you do any pre-ride or scouting I......may be available.....but ya know I've got a pretty busy schedule.

PAULD302 welcome to the neighborhood, hope to see you there. This ride will be a good introduction to what this area has to ride. Great stuff south west of STL.
  7. TwoChains

TwoChains Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can go solo for sure - but there are always a few groups that love tagalongs.
    doniton2 and JonnyH913 like this.
  8. JonnyH913

JonnyH913 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOOOOO!!!
    Count me in. Solo as of now
    doniton2 likes this.
  9. Eric W.

Eric W. n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m in.
    doniton2 likes this.
  10. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill be there . & SON Hopefully.. he still in Luv...lol
    doniton2 likes this.
  11. solo650

solo650 '17 vstrom 650 Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ricky Im in +2. We will be tent camping Friday.
    If Meremac park isn't flooded, AGAIN, its a nice place to stay!
    Good company always welcome!
  12. krazykarl70

krazykarl70 n00b

Oddometer:
    Put me down!
  13. WingingIt74

WingingIt74 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm interested, not sure yet if I can go just yet.
  14. dhollenberg

dhollenberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put me down too!
    solo650 likes this.
  15. earz

earz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a noob when it comes to off-pavement, but I plan to attend. I'll be tagging along with @g steezy . I think he's trying to round a few more riders up too.
    sieg likes this.
  16. g steezy

g steezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup I’m in plus however many followers. I know there’s me you and a plus one for now.
    HerbTarlek likes this.
  17. The Tallguy

The Tallguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m going to try and make it work. Not sure if I’ll camp with Solo650 or stay in the motel.
    solo650 likes this.
  18. shakezula

shakezula n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in for sure, been a lot a years but I'm gonna see what I can get done on a full size strom, hope the flooding isn't to bad, solo so far but always up for new riding buddies if ya don't mind a noob tagging along
  19. awarren

awarren Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in.
    Here’s hoping for enough rain to wash the algae off the low water crossings but not enough to push you over the edge. :D:yikes:knary
  20. shakezula

shakezula n00b

Oddometer:
    After watching some video footage from years before, I might invest in a more practical bike for the ride or some serious tires for the v and a winch to drag me out of those mud pits lol a buddy watched with me and said he wouldn't take his jeep through some of it