Swiss long time globetrotter arrives in the U.S.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Thiery, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    Good day fellow american bikers

My name is Thierry, I’m 59 years old and from Basel, Switzerland. Since January 2008 I am living my dream and ride my motorbike around the world. My epic journey started in Mexico-City and will also end in Mexico-City. The 1st leg was Latin America, the 2nd leg brought me from Europe all the way to Far East following the south route, on the 3rd leg I explored Ozeania and then drove back from Far East back to Europe, this time following on the north route. The 4th leg was the crossing of Africa and now I am on my 5th and last leg riding across North America back to Mexico-City.

For the first two legs I used a BMW F650 Dakar, the third leg I did on a BMW F800GS. For Africa I rebuilt and modified a Suzuki DR650 because I wanted to have simple and lighter bike for that continent (which proved to be a very good decision!). And now for North America I use again the BMW F800GS…

If you are interested to see some pics/footage from the previous legs you are welcome to visit my website or check out my Facebook timeline.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thierry.wilhelm

So for the last leg I shipped the bike to Anchorage, Alaska, early June this year and I am now on my way south back to Mexico-City. Currently I am in Vancouver. I think to cross the border to the US in about 1 week from now. My goal is to arrive in Mexico-City approx. by end of next year – end of 2020. So this and next year I want to do the 3-corner loop (skipping the northeast) around the Unites States - including a winter break when I will store the bike somewhere (probably in Florida, depending how far I will get until end of October / beginning of November and I find somebody who is willing to store my bike at his place).

Why I am writing all this? Well, I would love and was hoping to meet some of you fellow bikers somewhere in the US. I will stay quite a while and cover a decent distance in the US, hence it might be possible that I will pass near your home town. Wouldn’t it be nice to meet, have a few:beer together and exchange stories? That’s all part of the adventure and travels, isn’t it?

It’s a long time dream of me to visit and travel the US on my motorbike. I’ve read and heard too many great stories of bikers who travelled the US – now it’s my turn and I can’t wait to see all these fantastic places with my own eyes…

So hopefully I’m going to meet the one or another of you. I wish you all the best, good luck and always safe riding!

Cheers from Vancouver :wave

Thierry

PS: You can follow my trip here: http://worldbiker.ch/index.php/i-m-here-right-now

View attachment 1814346
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  2. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Awesome. Check out Vancouver Island if you have the time.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are passing through the Ventura California region give me shout, I've got a spare room and a shop you can use.
    NSFW likes this.
  4. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Happy August 1st! Hope you find some cervelat.
  5. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    @ Otheoris: I am on Vancouver Island right now! Very beautiful!
    @ Strong Bad: I will surely pass through Ventura. Thank you very much for your reply and offer! I will keep in touch and inform you in time before arriving. I appreciate it a lot!
    @ el Pete: you must be swiss or have swiss ancestors :-D
  6. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grüetzi Thierry,
    Always happy to host travelers here in the So. Cal mountains and hear stories! Have a few of my own, but from the looks of it you've accumulated a few more. Here's Link to my Tent Space posting, and if you haven't come across the tent space thread yet, it's a good place to find other riders and even some travelers.
  7. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    @ PukaWai: Jä grüetzi wohl! Either you have been in Switzerland and picked up that word or you are a swiss expat :-D. Thank you very much for your reply and offer! I will definitely come your way and I'll make sure it will not be on a day like on your picture :-)! I'll keep in touch and will give you a heads-up early enough before arrival. It will be most probably summer/late summer next year. Ok?
    Thanks again and all the best!
    Cheers
    Thierry
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Just a tip:

Directing inmates here to another web site to follow your journey doesn't work too well.

If you hope to garner support from this website then it would behoove you to cross post your blog here.

Have fun. Every International motorcycle traveler I have met says "USA was MADE for motorcycle travel"
  9. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    @ Tuckers: Thanks for the tip. I inserted the links to my website just for your information about my journey I did so far. Only for those who are interested. And I thought maybe the one or another might be interested to hook up in facebook, too. And I did it also for transparency with the idea that you get to know me better, respectively to deliver proof for my journey... :-)
    I read, heard and saw so many great things about this beautiful country that I am really excited that finally I can discover it myself on my motorcycle. There is a reason why I decided to do the States as the final leg - it is the perfect finish for an epic journey around the world...!
    el Pete likes this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Will you go down Baja or the Mainland?
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thiery. Welcome to California in advance.

Stay on this forum and you'll never be alone even though you're riding solo.

Wish we can meet since I like international travelers to feel at ease. I would be following along and if I'm around, surely obliged to help.

Enjoy the CA coast, the Sierras and the beautiful northern CA. If you like the desert, Socal is the place.
  12. desertdaves

desertdaves DesertDave

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the US!
    I have tent space in Palm Springs, CA area if you need it.
    Ride safe!
  13. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    @ Tuckers: I will ride the Baja
    @ Joel: Thank you very much! California will be summer next year - I'm looking very much forward to it! I'll anounce it on this forum when I will be approaching California. Maybe we can meet... Take care and good luck!
    @ Desertdaves: Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! I'll let you know if needed. All the best...
    NSFW likes this.