Swiss long time globetrotter arriving in the U.S.

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Thiery, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    Good day fellow american bikers

My name is Thierry, I’m 59 years old and from Basel, Switzerland. Since January 2008 I am living my dream and ride my motorbike around the world. My epic journey started in Mexico-City and will also end in Mexico-City. The 1st leg was Latin America, the 2nd leg brought me from Europe all the way to Far East following the south route, on the 3rd leg I explored Ozeania and then drove back from Far East back to Europe, this time following on the north route. The 4th leg was the crossing of Africa and now I am on my 5th and last leg riding across North America back to Mexico-City.

For the first two legs I used a BMW F650 Dakar, the third leg I did on a BMW F800GS. For Africa I rebuilt and modified a Suzuki DR650 because I wanted to have simple and lighter bike for that continent (which proved to be a very good decision!). And now for North America I use again the BMW F800GS…

If you are interested to see some pics/footage from the previous legs you are welcome to visit my website or check out my Facebook timeline.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/thierry.wilhelm

So for the last leg I shipped the bike to Anchorage, Alaska, early June this year and I am now on my way south back to Mexico-City. Currently I am in Vancouver. I think to cross the border to the US in about 1 week from now. My goal is to arrive in Mexico-City approx. by end of next year – end of 2020. So this and next year I want to do the 3-corner loop (skipping the northeast) around the Unites States - including a winter break when I will store the bike somewhere (probably in Florida, depending how far I will get until end of October / beginning of November and I find somebody who is willing to store my bike at his place).

Why I am writing all this? Well, I would love and was hoping to meet some of you fellow bikers somewhere in the US. I will stay quite a while and cover a decent distance in the US, hence it might be possible that I will pass near your home town. Wouldn’t it be nice to meet, have a few:beer together and exchange stories? That’s all part of the adventure and travels, isn’t it?

It’s a long time dream of me to visit and travel the US on my motorbike. I’ve read and heard too many great stories of bikers who travelled the US – now it’s my turn and I can’t wait to see all these fantastic places with my own eyes…

So hopefully I’m going to meet the one or another of you. I wish you all the best, good luck and always safe riding!

Cheers from Vancouver :wave

Thierry

PS: You can follow my trip here: http://worldbiker.ch/index.php/i-m-here-right-now

View attachment 1814346
    YJake, sperz1, Buzztail and 1 other person like this.
  2. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pm sent. I would be happy to host your bike for a winter slumber.
    Ginger Beard, Mugwest, YJake and 3 others like this.
  3. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    I'd ride over to the inner ring of Buzztopia to meet Thierry and supervise the proper storage of his F8GS. Proper storage entails running a few tankfuls of gas through the bike in ANF. Rules are rules in America! :nod

I think Buzz could find a few square feet for another bike in the Garaj Mahal :clap
  4. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    Thierry,
    god morgon!

I live in Johnson City Tennessee and would like to extend you an offer to stay with me and visit discuss your wonderful trip.

I can also fill you in on BuzzTopia and those guys in Florida. I know them all well.

Just Let me know when.

The Maestro.
    ineptizoid and Buzztail like this.
  5. RiderForge

RiderForge 2014 CRF250L

Oddometer:
    I have a storage unit outside of Miami. There's enough room in there to fit another bike.
  6. jvazquez

jvazquez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thierry,
    I'm no longer in Florida, but if you're headed through Mid-Tennessee (I now live in Hermitage (Nashville suburb)) I would be happy to join you for part of your ride and/or a couple of beers.
  7. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody, sorry not having checked in earlier but I was moving around in the North West corner of the U.S. the past month, hence active in the adequate forum. First I'd like to thank you all for your replies and offers. I appreciate it a lot! After touring and enjoying the mountainous area in the North West a lot, meeting nice people, beeing hosted here and there and having lots of fun, I'm now heading east. Currently I am (stuck due to heavy rain) in Brookings, SD, and heading to Milwaukee where I will be hosted by another very kind rider. I guess I will stay a few days there as my host said that there is plenty fun things to do for me :-). After that visit I will start to cut diagonal through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky. Tennesse, North and Spouth Carolina, Georgia to Florida. I decided to cut the North East as I am not keen to travel through the big cities at the east coast (I visited N.Y. and the Niagara Falls already during an earlier trip, years ago).

I'd like to accept the hosting offer of Vico1 and jvazquez as it lies on my intended way. Thank you very much for it! I will inform you more precisely of my approaching when I leave Milwaukee. But a wild guess suggest that I should arrive in about 2 to 3 weeks. Would that suit you? Should we communicate via pm for more details?

I'd like also thank a lot for the offers for a bike storage during winter. As I will fly home over winter and most probably fly from Miami it would make sense if I could store the bike nearby Miami...

@Buzztail: Where is your location?

Last question: What or where is Buzztopia??? :-)

Have a great day and safe rides!
    Thierry

DSC_0398a (Copy).jpg
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    PM sent on staying in East TN.
    Buzz is in Tallahassee Fl and Buzztopia is of course a state of mind. No better place for a weary rider to be than Buzztopia.
    You wont find a better host than Buzz...
    rider1150gsadv, Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vic pretty much nailed it. I’m about 30min South of Tallahassee I sent a PM with a more postal format to locating me:rofl
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. jvazquez

jvazquez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thiery,
    I sent you a PM (I think) with my contact info.
  11. Thiery

Thiery Thierry

Oddometer:
    I'd like to inform you all that I will attend the Overlandexpo in Arrington, Virginia, which takes place October 11-13. I just sent my application for overland travellers to the management. I seems to be huge show with lots of presentations and special events. Check out the website www.overlandexpo.com and see for yourself. Should the one or another also go then it would be a chance to meet each other...