switched power & canbus gremlins

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Sariel, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

I'm getting ready to purchase a switched power solution for my F850 GS Adventure, particularly for heated gear and switched GPS power. I've done some poking around to understand how this might impact the canbus monitoring of the bike electrical systems, but haven't found anything terribly bike specific.

Anyone have experience with which wire to tap for switched signal? I hear (from the boxer folk in particular) that some of the rear power lights are the key to avoiding canbus gremlins.

Was debating between the PDM60 and the Eastern Beaver PC8 (which I had on an older bike and I'm familiar with). I know the PC-8 comes with a specific diode to supposedly avoid tripping the canbus. But any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have a PDM60 on a F800 and like it a lot. i have switched power wired to the headlight marker bulb that goes on with the ignition. it makes adding accessories extremely easy and painless.

i have oxford grips, a set of clearwater lights, a set of denali lights, gps, usb port, and a cyclops tpms wired up with no issues at all
  3. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not use something like an ezCAN? Seamless integration and support for controlling the heat output of gear along with plenty of other functionality.
  4. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    I looked at EZcan and the Denali version, but I am uncertain if you can wire something like a Garmin directly into the provided plugs. Unlike the PDM or the PC8, there are not just blank terminals for the wires. I know they are technically plug and play for compatible stuff like the airhorn, or lights, but can they modulate to non-compatible units like Garmin that don't have a plug connector. The wiring kit for garmin in particular is just copper wires, doesn't even have eyelets.
  5. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! I was probably going to tap a rear light power source, but glad to know the front supposedly works.
  6. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the ezCAN, the Denali vs is just a rebrand. It comes with connector pigtails for each of it's leads so connecting to accessories is super easy. I chose to solder and heatshrink, but butt connectors or posi-taps would work just as well.
  7. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to how wiring your own connectors works?
  8. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh wow that's awesome. I had no idea it came with blank pigtails. I guess I'll look into grabbing this and skipping needing to tap anything. Functionally is there a difference between the Denali Product and the Hex one?
  10. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Hex model comes with two sets of pigtails, 2 wire and 3 wire. You use the appropriate one for your application. Denali (I think) only comes with a 3 wire set. So you essentially get extras with Hex. Additionally, I would guess that software updates will be a little delayed for the Denali product since it will trickle down from the Hex product. The HEX guys are also pretty awesome with their customer support, so I went that route and it made getting setup super easy.
  11. Sariel

Sariel n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for the rec. I will probably go that route. I was thinking about the Denali one only because I'm familiar with the denali products (I plan to pick up a set of lights, and the airhorn). But if it's cheaper and just as efficient to use the Hex product it seems like the better buy.
  12. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I didn't dig deep enough, but I just can't find a difference. On the previous Gen it used a different connector so sticking with Denali made sense, but not that they are using the same connectors I feel like it's best to buy whichever one makes you happy.
  13. K_K

K_K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want to be able to tailor your needs completely, there is another option.
    Have a look at the CAN switch. https://www.blackbirdmoto.com/bikes

It requires a bit more from the installer, but the reward is a system working as you want it to.
  14. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did look at that before before getting my HEX unit and aside from a few extra outputs I didn't notice any significant difference except it looks physically larger and I would have had a hard time fitting it in the space I have under my seat. The features I wanted that they both have are controlling my aux lights with the ambient sensor (Day/Night mode) with a hi beam override and dimmer control on the wheel. Day/Night/Hi Beam brightness are all programmable. Modulated brake light controller with accelerometer for engine braking (both programmable) and some extra outputs for accessories. All the features to link the aux lights to the flashers/hazards are shared. Coming with the pigtail connectors was a nice touch and you'd have to do your own connectors on the blackbird. So I made my decision based on what I actually want to power and how much space I had to work with.
  15. K_K

K_K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As long as the Hex unit covers your needs, it's a better option as it is smaler and cheaper.

The significant difference is in the way you may program the CANswitch to your specific needs. Using the phone interface it acts pretty much like the Hex unit.
    Using your PC and the Ladder Logic you may do way more. But if not needed it's a waste paying more for an ability that you will not use.
    Say you want to connect your garage door opener, control your heated gear from the wonderwheel, set up a power source that is only connected as the engine is running etc. then the CANswitch is the way to go.
  16. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's just it, aside from the garage remote, the HEX unit does all those things you just mentioned.