Switched Power From Diagnostic Plug

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tallguy-09, Dec 3, 2010.

1. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this has been discussed here before.
    This is what I'd like to do on my 2010 R1200GS:

Power a set of LED Photon Blasters from a switched power source in the area under the seat (Don't want to use the preferred park light wire in the front). Photon Blaster have ~0.2amps current draw. Wired to the green/blue wire of the diagnostic plug. It's working fine but I'm a bit worried about the central computer giving me problems long term.

Alternativeley I could power a diode protected relay from the rear accessory port or the diagnostic plug > delayed off controlled by the bike central computer system in case of the accessory port. Relay current draw ~ 0.14amps

Already connected a set of LED strips directly to the rear accessory port and when connecting the Photon Blasters to the same port the current draw exceeds the shut down limit and the plug stays powered on, not sure for how long (usually it shuts off after ~30s).
  2. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tallguy-i was going to do that for the hids on my 05.Found it was easier to tap into the taillight power then to a switch for the lights.Ed
  3. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'm already using the taillight power for the P3 LED's, not sure if I could add the Photon Blasters and not be getting a LAMPF fault or so...?

Got a relay and used the accesory port to drive it, that way I don't have to worry about the diagnostic plug.
    Both my handguard SMD's and the Photon Blasters turn off automatically 30s after ignition off.

4. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '05 has an extra switched 12v connector with 60 second off delay taped up just below the handlebar mount. I bought the "repair harness" (Part #PN is 83300413585) from my dealer and got a clean switched power source with cutting into the bike wiring. I would think this is a good place to grab power for any upfront uses as long as the current draw is reasonable. I expect a bunch of LEDs would be ok. Many other use it for GPS power.

Does your '10 have this unused connector?
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use the GPS plug, no need to buy the wire that mates to it, I hooked my Photon blasters using posi-taps. They stay on for 1 minute after the key is turned off, then it goes out.
  6. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Yes, I use it for the GPS, if you add a few more small things then it exceeds the shut-down limit and the ZFE controller keeps the plug active all the time.

7. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could use the Posi-Taps, but you miss the opportunity to pay BMW $25 for a 25-cent wad of plastic and wire! These guys gotta eat, you know!