Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nathanthepostman, May 4, 2009.

1. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez, they're blasts from the past, those quotes.

I wrote those at the time, a few years ago, and to read them back is a little disturbing in a way, just to see what place I was in back then. I did take a few nose dives during the trip, especially after it, a big nose dive. I'm quite relieved to say that after this Alaska trip - when I really feel I'd reached a natural conclusion to the trip - things started to relax and I finally have some perspective on it all. Feels good. I was thinking only last night that the challenge of getting on the road is at some point along the way replaced by the challenge of trying to find a way off it. Knowing how to stop. When to stop. How to stop. Otherwise you could end up chasing your tail around the world forever. I guess it takes a while to reach a point where you're not afraid of stopping. Maybe that happens when you're a little more comfortable about who you are, you know, happier with yourself.

Alas, I've turned to the darkside. Mods, I hope you don't mind me putting the next few pics up. I thought you might find them interesting. To go from one extreme to the other. I had it just for the weekend. I thought it was a good bike. Very quick on the road, and agile, but it did hint at just how much marketing bollockery is going on right now; branding a bike like this as 'Adventure', and necessary for 'Adventure', when, as I discovered, you have to be careful how you park it, so it's not off-camber, it's not downhill because you can't pull the thing back out, how the panniers are wider than your shoulders and the general intimidation of a bike as big as this. Great touring bike. But I wouldn't like to get lost in the wild on one. It would eat you alive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... photos from Scotland. Lovely place.

Business will resume next week when old Dorothy finally returns back from the States having travelled across the Atlantic by boat. The plan is to retire her for a while. Work on the bottom end in my own good time. Continue to work. Continue to settle some debt. Continue to do other things, while at the same time, perhaps subconsciously, laying plans for when the time comes to take off again and see something new. I look at the map and see Sydney to Alaska. But there's a lot I haven't seen. And somehow I don't think I'll be taking the GS.
    Milosh likes this.
  2. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    Geez Nathan, you really could do with a haircut...:rofl
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Thanx for the write up and terrific pictures ~! .

:clap
  4. platypus121

platypus121 CT.110 NZ

Oddometer:
    Hi Nathan and Dot,

Right about those panniers - they wouldn't last long in Bankok traffic (or any tight spot) and must really restrict agility.

Regarding rebuilding Dot's bottom - best left to an experienced mechanical engineer. The crank has to be separated
    to fit the new big-end bearing and then pressed together with great accuracy. Been there : next time I'll just try to get a
    whole new crank / rod assembly, though this may not be an option for you in light of keeping Dot's vital organs original.

Whoever does it, you'll need to separate the cases - the best advice I have is .... get a manual with exploded diagrams,
    and take photographs of everything as you go. Everything.

" ...laying plans for when the time comes to take off again and see something new." .......... GREAT !

Cheers,
    Bernard.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    The exploded parts diagrams @ Bike Bandit Etc. are a boon when you dip into the internals , print 'em out @ 125 % and scribblenotes on 'em as you go along .

:deal
  6. twinie

twinie Gabe

Oddometer:
    Small bikes can turn to great trips!
  7. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Its good to see you have kept an open mind, and perspective on life. There are a LOT of good things out there, small bikes, big bikes. Freedom of riding, also owning a home and having the money to buy nice things. Its all a balance of being responsible and happy at the same time. Get to focused on one aspect of life, and the rest can come crashing down... It seems like you have a real good head on your shoulders. I have no doubt you will have a great ride in life, both on and off the motorcycles :clap

Mike
  8. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Double dang! I can't believe I missed the trip to AK and the book. Nathan, glad to see you're still at it. I've really enjoyed reading about your travels and the pictures and videos.

( # 121, Arthur Dent)
  9. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for the last post - I didn't know there was a second book. I just bought it and am reading it now.

Thx! DD
  11. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings all.

Well, it seems an age (and it was) since this adventure begun, but six years on a very talented group of folks called Make Your Bones have put my footage together to make a short documentary about my travels from Sydney to Alaska on a 105cc CT110.

I hope you like it.

12. Frey Bentos

Frey Bentos Probably doing a drawing. Or scratching my arse.

Oddometer:
    Just watched it on FB. Very enjoyable fella. Props to you for talking about your depression too.
  13. Kona11

Kona11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nat,

Thanks for sharing, been a fan and following you here on ADVRIDER from the start. Have to say everytime I get on my CT110 I wonder if I could do it. Then wonder what it must have been like for you heading into the unknown.

Cheers
  14. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Nate,
    Thanks for bringing some cheer into a gloomy day.
    Brought back the good memories of following the RR "live".
    Congratulations are in order!!

Keep positive and still looking forward to the day we meet.
    Dan
  15. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nate for checking in.
  16. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate to find your rr live when it was just a week old...cool to see where it led you.
  17. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your marriage. Thanks for the update. I've so enjoyed your travels and articulate musings. Keep rubber side down.
  18. bastchild

bastchild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good times! Great trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  19. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas Nate!
  20. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer: