Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nathanthepostman, May 4, 2009.

1. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why are there "floor mats" on that bridge? I would be afraid to ride over that. Could be a big hole under it.
  2. gsxkev

gsxkev Part time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quality mate.
    :rofl
    Surely converse must be thinking about sorting you out with some new RTW allstars!
  3. walstib

walstib DeadHead

Oddometer:
    Hey Now,

I was pleasantly surprised to see an article by our man Nate in my latest issue of Ultimate Motorcycling.

[​IMG]
  4. toasthall

toasthall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dammit!

Just when I had talked myself out of buying a post bike with my tax return, I read your posts and want one all over again. I am currently in Alice Springs for work and I think a postie would be perfect for exploring the desert here abouts.

good luck Nathan and Dot,

Dale
  5. kurvenwetzer

kurvenwetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanx for let us having part of your great adventure!
    what a ride! ride on!
  6. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey Nathan,
    what did you have to do for the china visa & getting the bike in?
    I'm thinking of trying that myself.

Thanks, Doug
  7. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed

Good luck
  8. Seattle Jimmy

Seattle Jimmy happy dipshit.

Oddometer:
    f-ing brilliant!:clap
  9. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am just stupified by Nathan's ability to turn a phrase, to capture a setting, feeling or situation so perfectly and simply. You are truly gifted in communications. I also truly admire your grit and determination. Don't let negativity from anyone alter your upbeat attitude. We are all indebted to you for your wonderful posts.
  10. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, they printed it!

I'll have to get them to send me a copy.

Right, me and Dorothy had a terrificly crap ride down from Manali yesterday. Rain, dust, 13 hours, bags busting, arse throbbing... now in Amristar waiting to make my little journey west.

Not much time to post so sorry for the copy and paste but here's a group email from t'other day.

Speak later.

Well guys, this is it for a while.

Me and Dot are disappearing west the day after tomorrow so we thought we’d better email a quick one to say tatty-bye.

If everything goes to plan we should only be there a week or two as by that time my man in his little office will have sorted all Dorothy’s paperwork out for our crossing in to China. You see to take a bike over that border you have to have a Chinese licence, number plate and a fella in a car follow you all the time you’re there to make sure we don‘t get up to any mischief. I even have to buy the fella’s food, accommodation and no doubt the hookers he’ll be bothering while I’m out taking triggering my Canon.

Seven days later we’ll move on to Kyrgyzstan, where I’ve just read how likely we are to be robbed by the soldiers stationed by the border who have no bullets nor anything better to do but harass tourists. Bugger. Me and Dorothy will just have to ride swift and fast across that one before we arrive in the capital - whatever that is - and make our decision as to whether we go up Kazakhstan way to Rusia or carry on due west through the other Stans ‘til we ferry across the Caspian and drop down through Azerbaijan, Georgia and into Turkey.

Either way we’ve got some mountains to climb. Literally. The road from in to China is 4,600 metres tall, one of the highest in the world, that’s why me and Dorothy have just returned from our altitude training up in the Indian hills where one mountain pass - the second highest in the world - towers 5,300 metres tall.

And that was tough. The altitude gave me headache and a real dozy grin, while poor old Dorothy struggled to breathe and only made it up with the aid of her inhaler. First gear, ratcheting up the treacherous mountain slope like a theme park rollercoater until we hit the top and flew all the way down. Two days later, when we finally made it to our destination of Leh, poor Dot was pretty bust up. Weeping fork seal, buggered back axle, broken brake cable, a cough and a splutter. It was the first time on this trip I didn’t think her capable of making it all the way to the end. I was worried, Spider sense tingling.

A mechanic helped, got her breathing again with a rub of her chest. He suggested I do this and that to her vital organs and after a fistful of days lounging around in coffee shops looking up at the great jagged mountains palming this lazy alpine village, we said goodbye to the legendary Canadian folks we’d been hanging out with - hi Kristen, hi Jayme - and headed back with an Enfield Bullet in tow.

Nancy and James were riding that, they were on a motorcycle tour of India and while arguing like an old married couple were the best motoring buddies a man could ever wish for. (Check out Nancy’s shots, attached.) Together Dorothy and their bike Excalibur, battled the two days back along the 500 kilometres of rocky road that’s endlessly being reclaimed by Mother Nature’s mountain goat. Whole chunks of it eaten, waiting to be put right by the teams of Tibetan road workers sat smashing rocks with tiny hammers, looking up only to cheer and wave at shabby tourists passing by on their motorbike thinking how strangely reminiscent of Indiana Jones freeing the kids in the mine this all was. I felt a little ashamed, a bit embarrassed.

But of my poor old Dorothy I was in total awe. How does she do it? A bike designed 30 years ago to whisk the Australian post man around the streets of Sydney and Melbourne and now, in my violent hands, she’s ploughing up mountains and wading across raging seas of this brutal world. That two days later, making it back to Manali without a hiccup or a stutter, is completely, utterly incredible. This journey is hers, she deserves to go all the way home. To be showered with champagne. Me; I’m just grateful for the much needed dose of reassurance she’s kissed me with after that trip.

Six months ago when we set off it all seamed such a la-di-da journey. We’d just saunter merrily across the world, take in a few sights, adventure a little, tell you guys what a fun old time we were having in the three months I expected it to take. And now it’s morphed and swollen in to this. A six month and counting confrontation of what is safe, what is sane.

Madness I suppose. But this is our journey and into China is the way fate has steered it. We can’t go back, find another way or detour. We go forward, like the plan was always intended. If that’s to mine and Dorothy’s doom then what a blast we’ve had in getting here. Sauntering across the world, two weary old slags, me and my bike, looking out across a planet in a way we could never have possibly imagined when we decided to set off on this adventure just two days before we actually did.

Planning, we skipped that part. Who needs it. If there’s something you want to do just do it. Hurdles and barriers. there’s always a way. And while you might scream shut the fuck up for going on a lecture I think it’s time I used this trip to deliver my little message. I am the Postman after all. And that is just go off and do whatever it is you want to do. Don’t let nothing stop you, not a thing. Wade on, find a way, wrestle with the reasons and excuses why you can’t and then bury them in the bin.

If me and Dorothy hadn’t have done that we’d have been left asking ‘what if’, what if we had have embarked on our global adventure. What would we have seen, what would we have done. And now, by kicking our excuses square in the bollocks, we have seen, we have done. And wherever the next stage of our journey takes us, be it England or some place other, we can stand pretty damn proud that we’ve given it the biggest bloody go we ever could.

And that my little Dorothy, is where we go west.

See you soon.
    x x
  11. muttley69

muttley69 n00b

Oddometer:
    Best of luck with getting through China, it'll be awesome!

I ride my postie to work 5 days a week, and can't help but think of you poor yet fortunate sap stuck on this humble bar stool with tiny engine strapped underneath.

Some earlier models of CT90 and 110 had a carb with an altitude adjuster for mountain climbing. I'm not sure what your chances of finding one are, but perhaps it could help?
  12. mc_lucky!

mc_lucky! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in for that
  13. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Excellent Nate

Here's to you and Dot :beer
  14. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    India no more, we're moving on!!!!
  15. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nathan, good luck in China and beyond. I look forward to reading your posts when you get back on line.

Ride safe, we'll see you on the other side.:freaky
  16. rc mad

rc mad Physycotic gecko

Oddometer:
    Capital of Kyrgyzstan is Bishkek, not much to see but the museum is interesting, has quite good info on mongols and the soviet union. Which way are you going from china to Kyrgyzstan? Tourgurt (sp?) pass, if so that's a good couple of days of gravel roads and high altitude, enjoy it and ride safe

cheers

john
  17. MaduraMI

MaduraMI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck Nathan! I'll look forward to hearing from you when you get to the other side.
  18. nathanthepostman

Oddometer:
    Ah bugger it, I'm sat checking my emails so why not post to say me and Dorothy made it to Pakistan and are now quite delighted.

The same but slightly different is how you could compare it to India, but even just those nuances, they're enough to make a whole heap of change.

Walking around no one bothers you or tries to sell you something you'd never want. I suppose that's becasue they don't have many tourists here so none of the local folk are dependant on you to earn a living.

Some are even quite rude, which is nice.... shows they aren't just interested in you for the money. The traffic is also a little calmer, less horn. With people seemingly happy just to pick their path through and not disturb the world in sqyeezing through.

The only thing is it's hot agian, roasting, in the 40's again and with power that by government control goes on and off every hour. Fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off... it's how it is all through the night as the bed absorbs your sweat through the pillow.

Met some cool people as well. A couple - one oz, one pom, are round ha;f the world in their Land Cruiser, another fella's doing similar in a Hi Lux and a real nice Dutch chap is almost at the end of his trip on a BMW GS1200. I've got some pics of that and Dorothy sat together. Poor old Dot's only half the size.

The guys with the trucks are all trying to get Iranian visas, all with limited luck. The couple might get a green light tomorrow but that's with a bit of a pleading and grovelling at the embassy who do seem to be softening. I've been thinking maybe I should have waited rather than parting with all the cash to get through China, but I'm actually looking forward to that route now.

Some of the Stans seem a real hassle so one option I'm seriously considering is China in Kyrgystan, then Uzbek into Kazakhstan, and from there Russia, Georgia, Turkey. It's the route with the less visas.

Not been up to much, just picking up a few bits and bobs for the trip like a roll of black gaffer tape to patch up my panniers that are already falling apart. I had them pathed in Manali by a boy on the street who fixed it with what looked like his dad's old leather jacket. I might already have told you that, it sounds familiar.

The other night though me and the other biker did go back tothe border ceremony. It was cracking, the best stage show in the world and I reckon so much nicer seeing it from this side of the fence. You get that sense of the underdog. A smaller nation, less pomp and bravado, but defintely more soul.

If you've not heard of it before the two countries - India and Pakistan have this huge border closing specatcle every night. It's like a Roman colluseum, with stands for the crowds and all sorts of music and entertainment. Military men in full traditional uniform march up and down stamping their feet and shouting all sorts of things at their 'enemy'.

The sun was setting, the crowd were singing 'jump, jump Pakistan' and there we sat, me and biking chum, watching a triumphant display of national Pakistani pride. Early impressions are that it's a warm and decent country, far from deserving of the reputation the international media gives it.

The stories of mischeif and mayhem are one thing, the reality is quite another...

Over and out for now.
    Nate and Dotty.
  19. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Brilliant update. Post some more info on pakistan. I for one would love to know what former india looks like now !
  20. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9y2qtaopbE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n9y2qtaopbE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    on my list of "Things to see before I die"