Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nathanthepostman, May 4, 2009.

1. thor.i.am

thor.i.am ridin' a KLR

Oddometer:
    Good Luck and keep your knees in the breeze!:ricky
  2. Hundnase

Hundnase Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i got mine two or three weeks ago i guess.. it was a rather quick delivery of 7 to 10 workdays if i remember right.

and a great shirt it is!
  3. Vic Vegas

Vic Vegas serendipity

Oddometer:
    I'm not very good at putting thought into words so here is one of my favorite quotes from a dead guy.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks!
  4. wasions

wasions Hang 10

Oddometer:
    Not to pick nits, but, it's the Ministry of Silly Walks.
    Thank you.
  5. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep the great writing and pics coming, im at the tail end of your journey back in birmingham so willing you home in one piece:clap
  6. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    something tells me you will never be building those walls again quite the same Nate. youll have no need to rely on such trivial things after all your experiencing.

keep the updates coming mate, theyre the only thing getting me though the work day until i can do something similar myself.
  7. PeterTheAdventurer

PeterTheAdventurer n00b

Oddometer:
    yeaa keep it up!!!!!!!!!!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  8. LittleHarleyGirl

LittleHarleyGirl Lady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Trip Nathan & Dot!

It really makes my day, reading about your trip. It doesn't matter if you ride a Postie or a Harley, it is the spirit of adventure that counts.
    Keep the rubber side down & stay safe!

Little Harley Girl
  9. OBIWAN

OBIWAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope I don't get in trouble for asking this question here instead of doing a PM but I thought if it does, then input from someone that knows more about it than I do could help. Maybe I missed this information way back too, so if I did, Doh! I was wondering if Dot has a "dual" setting on the transmission that basically gives you twice as many gears as you have. The one Honda I had seen had a small lever down near the gear shifter. With one setting you had "normal" ratio but in the other setting each gear like 1st, 2nd, ... would be a different ratio usually real low. I believe some of the CT's had this feature. One guy I knew had his bike for years before he found this out. Sure would be nice to find out that Dot has this feature, would help a bunch in the mountains.
  10. muttley69

muttley69 n00b

Oddometer:
    Nathan is riding an ex-Australia Post CT110, which don't have the dual transmission setting (unless it's been fitted with another engine..?).

I think the CT110 Trail, which is available for sale in Aus but not road 'registerable' still has the dual range transmission..
  11. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very late to the party, but have read every page and watched every video.
    What a great adventure, very cool to see many great adv riders adding support (pete, CJ, SV, Doug :wave :wave :wave :wave ) all have such cool adventures that they have shared on and off this site.

Enjoy the Journey Nat and Dot!!!! .... sorry that the posting and negative comments got to you, but this is your ride. Live it to the fullest!!

Have enjoyed your insights, perspectives and the adventure you created for yourself. As a fellow traveler and rider, I know that these experiences improve your life and will benefit you tall of your days!:clap :clap :clap Thanks for sharing them.... Really there are many of us that share your journey:clap :clap :clap (and the other protractors should go elsewhere).

Looking forward to your updates whenever and wherever you post.

God speed and safety to you on your Journey!:ricky :ricky
  12. jallen

jallen Noobish.

Oddometer:
    omg- what an epic ride, and an epic read.. I discovered this this Monday, and been sneaking in at work catching up.. FINALLY I reach the end... for now...

Now I can root for you in near real time, instead of just reading about your history! :)

Thank you very much for sharing so much with us all....it is very generous of you!
    :clap
  13. EasierRider

EasierRider n00b

Oddometer:
    WOW! You are the bravest man alive! Awesome adventure!:clap :bow
  14. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

No, no, no! Kyrgyzstan is the easiest border I ever crossed in my life. These guys were so laid back they didn't even have a stamp for my passport. They didn't have a stamp for my carnet either. They just ignored all the paperwork and let me in. That's never happened in about 80 border crossings I've done. Uzbek is the best stan for impressive sites, but Kyrgyz was my favorite stan for truly starting to belive I was a motor mounted Marco Polo. It's awesome and friendly. It's like you ride your motorcycle back in time. Granted I had a particularly attractive native speaker on the back of my bike who I met on the first day (no one speaks a word of English). But you will have a ball living in yurts and riding the steppe. You definitely have to go to lake Issykkul and Karakol. I know a guy there that will love you. He's an awesome mechanic and former moto racer- taught off road side car skills in the Soviet army. He's always welding together a Ural quad or something. Dude's almost 80 and he can kick your ass.

Man if there is a more impressive road than the one to Leh, it's the KKH. I don't wish you were here at my desk, but I sure wish I was there riding a postie up the KKH.
  15. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

This one and RTWdougs WRONG way round are the only two I read. I don't have time to read about guys who ride Transalps and GSs.
  16. jallen

jallen Noobish.

Oddometer:
    RTWDoug's thread is how I found this one...:thumb Yep, awesome stuff!!!
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    +1.
  18. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Both guys seem to have a great way to add something that I can't define to the story. Both make for a great read.
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Well, I am all caught up and eagerly waiting on more. The videos, the updates all of it, fantastic and I really appreciate you taking the time and putting forth the effort... it can't be easy.

I am glad the mods got a handle on the nay sayers... bring on more updates and please do go on to live YOUR life and ride YOUR ride and share it with us any way you see fit.

This is truely one of the most epic ride reports I have had the pleasure to share here or anywhere else and I am eager to read more whenever you get to it. Fantastic, thank you.

By the way, I had already bought a trail 90 for my wife to get back into riding with... you and Dorothy have pushed me over the edge and I just picked up a second one for me to ride along with her on the trails and forest service roads... hers is painted in a custom camo paint job, rather nice I must say. She named her Jane, G.I. Jane... mine is in the factory "mustard" yellow and was named The Colonel, Colonel Mustard :D As you might guess we don't have any fun at all :webers

Thanks again for sharing... you are an inspiration :clap
  20. Tompound

Tompound M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer:
    Ride on!! Dot and Nate!!!
    [​IMG]