Sydney Watagans Ride 10/07

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ADVJake, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Anymore details on this training weekend? I'm interested in these , i haven't been riding offroad that long.
  2. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's going to be run at Singleton on the 6/7 of August. Cost is $250 which is pretty reasonable for a small group (12 - 14 I think). I first saw it here and contacted Andrew LeLeivre who has taken the time to co-ordinate the course. I am not sure if there are still places left but it would be worth a shot (I wouldn't mind taking a look at the DR either :evil).
  3. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, i'm excited already :)
    hope theres room.
  4. LeLievre Down Under

LeLievre Down Under Le Lievre DownUnder

Oddometer:
    Here's another half way meeting place

Hi Danny and Yautja - look forward to catching up at Singleton - the GS was born in 1980 and the BMW Touting Club of NSW is organising a rally at Cundl;e Flat Farm (where the GS Adventure was launched) about 60 kms NE of Gloucester on 19,20 and 21st August - only 25kms of dirt to rally site - hoping to have the entire family of GS's on display - prizes for certain classes - bunk accomm or camping - detials from BMW TC NSW

Andrew
  5. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Yautja you will be impressed with the staintune on the DR it changes the bikes character, I was steered away from the K&N option (though used them with success on my GTR1000 outfit). The pre filter - is it like a disposable swimming pool filter? - I heard they work well.

Mine still has stock gearing and cant see the need to change this as it still does a lot of road work. But with the pipe and rejet and snorkel (tossed) it can loft the frount off the throttle in 2nd if you dont fill the tank (IMS).

You will loose substantial fuel ecomomy too [​IMG] but fun factor will go up

Would like to go to on the run with youse guys but I'll be at the Winter Rally near Nerriga NSW. I have the Brindabellas at my doorstep and find it hard to justify a run Nth of Sydney when I still have a lot of exploring to do in my own backyard - did a short trip up the top last week and found a little snow.

Andrew mentioned the GS thing run by Rob from Newcastle (& BMWTCNSW - my club) - sounds great too but cant get a leave pass as have plans to go to Dargo High Plains Rally in Vic (the weekend before).

Maybe I should organise a dirt tour in the Brindabella Ranges (just outside Canberra) if anyone is interested? The high country in Winter is just the best!
    [​IMG]
  6. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Added route details.
  7. spritle

spritle Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    woooohooooo

route looks good. can't wait for the ride
  8. LeLievre Down Under

Oddometer:
    Hey Yautja

have you done this Cook's track ? what condition is it in - if this is the recce run can you post a report after the ride - I know a lot of tracks up there but haven;t come across that one before. Watagns will be interesting after the rain - a lot of the open fire trails have been graded recently for the logging trucks

Andrew
  9. rubbercow80

rubbercow80 Confused & Disorientated

Oddometer:
    Myself and 2 mates on Dr's are interested in joining you on the ride. We live in Newcastle and are wondering where the best place to meet up would be. What time do you think you will be heading into the bush.
  10. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Hi rubbercow, we'd probably be entering watagans maybe 10:30am or so, If you don't want to come down to the meeting spot at berowra, we could meet you guys at the entrance to the forest.

Heres a map:
    [​IMG]
  11. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Andrew,

I never done it, just clicked it up on my GPS map software, abit of exploration :)
    Hope its not too muddy!

12. LeLievre Down Under

Oddometer:
  13. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Yautja, are you going on the recon ride tommorrow ?(the 3rd ).

I'm still trying to get the jetting sorted out on the ktm and haven't changed the tires either, so I might not make it. If I get it sorted tonight and the whether is ok I could still make it if your going.
  14. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Hey rjf, actually did the recon today by myself.. bike was down once unintentionally in mud, then a bunch of other times to get myself under logs / trees..

here some pics:
    http://home.exetel.com.au/vash/watagans_solo2/

It is abit wet there, it wasnt too fun getting the DR under and around those logs.
    wasn't game to do the mudhole with anakees on.. hurt my foot dropping the DR on it :D
  15. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Nice pics. I'll be fitting knobby tires for next weekend after seeing all that mud.

The only scratches I've put on my ktm are barely visible from a fall in the trailer. ( touch wood ) I'm not too keen on draging the big bitch under trees. ( although well done for doing it solo ) I'll be going around / over / breaking any next weekend if possible.

See ya.
  16. spritle

spritle Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yautja you nut! :loco :razor

mud, i'm fine with. We're in a group and we can probably paddle/push our way though the mud holes.

ummm.... logs, i'm not that keen on dragging my bike around. I'll follow rjf around/over. Besides, there should be plenty of tracks to go ride around and i think we'd all prefer riding and bikes are built for riding, not dragging around :ricky
  17. rubbercow80

rubbercow80 Confused & Disorientated

Oddometer:
    Did you notice a bunch of about 10 trailbikes out near Laguna on the weekend. They were from the bike shop I work in and they thought that you were me as our bikes are so similar. They said they were yelling out and waving as you blasted past. Meet you as planned on Sunday.
    harry
  18. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Haha, yep i think we'll be avoiding trees, my arms are stuffed from dragging my bike around for a few weeks to come..

I didnt see many trail bikes, except a bunch were parked at a kulnura station, didn't see anyone waving though.
  19. LeLievre Down Under

Oddometer:
    Went up through the upper reaches of the Watagans today - Wyong and Freemans Waterholes - roads in perfect cndition.LAst Sunday scuked after the rains with lots of red mud - even with KAroo's on the GSA I slipped and slid - 4 out of 6 bikes hit the deck at one stage or another.

Is the "Private Property" sign on the link across Glenworth VAlley? - That's the road I was asking if you'd done it before as I've never found a way through.

Will look forward to the next lot of photo's = bulldogging a GSA or even 650 just ain't fun so over to you - I'll enjoy the photos when you post them

Andrew
  20. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    Just some questions on technique.. Not experienced in mud. Is it better to speed your way through a deep mud hole with basically slicks? or slowly push your way through?

The private property part was a very short section that led me to tarmac after i arrived in someones backyard.. hehe :)