1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Sygic on ipad and iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scfrank, Jul 25, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got something setup and working so want to share.

I just got a new iPad mini, retina display, 3G, GPS, etc. love it so far. I have Sygic GPS installed on phone and ipad. I have a 4S phone. Intend to get 6 when it is released.

I have been struggling on how to transfer routes from the ipad to the phone. Its easy to create routes on ipad, with the bigger screen and drag and drop, via points, etc. but I obviously want to use the phone for actual GPS on bike.
    So, how to get route from ipad to phone?

Turns out its easy, you dont have to transfer anything. Sygic will sync the route, and locations and POI between the two using iCloud. Just save the route on the iPad and a couple minutes it shows up on the iPhone.

I love it.

I now have Tom Tom on phone if I want to use winding roads and let it generate route. I've found new roads in my own neighborhood.

If i want to create my own route i use Sygic.

I'm a happy camper, for now.
    :clap
  2. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Update: I assume some of you are reading this so I'll update.

I just made another discovery for myself with Sygic on my iPad and iPhone.

I changed my sync setup from iCloud to Dropbox. I did this because I could not transfer files to and from my iCloud storage. It only handles apple file types, iWork stuff and music, photos etc. I guess Apple doesn't think we need to do any other file types.

BUT - Dropbox works fine with other file types. I can access the folders in my dropbox storage space. This allows me to access dropbox folders from my PC! This means I can work on GPS files in GPX format, or several others with TYRE or another routing tool, convert them to ITF format using ITN CONVERT and place them in the dropbox folder for sygic and guess what, they show up in sygic on my iPad and iPhone. I just have to use the Sygic naming convention of YYMMDD_HHMMSS. Sygic then shows the route using the name in the description.

WAHOO !

I can import routes from others, get them on my iPad. Review modify, etc. and then use them on my iPhone.

This keeps getting better. You just have to work at it a little bit. I know you work on Android OHGOOD, but thanks for the motivation.
  3. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you like Sygic? I played around with it some but never got to really test it before my trial ended.

I still haven't found an app that I love for offline navigation, but I'm still trying. When I already have an iPhone, and iPad mini retina I don't want to invest in a garmin too, and have to use their software.
  4. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I like it so far. I have to admit I haven't ridden with it a lot, two trips. Seems to be fine with directions. I got off route, intentionally, and I caught up with me when back on route. I only have an iPhone 4s so small screen, but voice over bluetooth is fine. I'm waiting on the iPhone 6 in a few months.

I use TomTom on iPhone some. I like the winding roads feature.

For the price I think Sygic is a good deal.

Route making on the iPad is good with Sygic. Much easier than trying to do it on a phone, or even a gps for that matter.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm reading, I'll benefit from your efforts if/when we move to iPhone.

:thumbup:
  6. danisOTR

danisOTR GO BIG OR GO HOME Supporter

Oddometer:
    I set my Mini up as my GPS on my GSA. I put it in a :LifeProof case and LifeProof mount. I love the size of the map.

I have been using Sygic in 3D mode which seems to make it easier to see as well.

I am actually selling my GPS along with mounts (advertised in Parts) because I am happy with the setup.
  7. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I've thought about that. I even have all the parts. Where did you mount it? I have a GS.
  8. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    I used a ram mount and put it on the wind screen cross bar
  9. richard weed

richard weed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using this app on my iPad for a while with limited success. Well, yesterday the stars aligned. The app allows for map downloads online. You then select a portion of that map for offline use. I had previously downloaded an off road route from another ADV member that I wanted to follow. I don't know of any app's that will give voice directions off road. This one doesn't. I used the downloaded map on my screen and then used "create a new track". An icon can be centered on the map, with multiple zoom levels, that overlays the map. Simple. I used a topo map download that is great off road. I use a Ram mount with a power supply directly to the iPad. Very happy now.
    Dick Weed
  10. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Dick Weed?? Really? I knew a guy named Tom Head. Yep, and his brother Dick Head. Actually a successful drag racer.

Dick Weed wasn't a good thing in my youth.:bmwrider
  11. richard weed

richard weed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's Richard Weed, Dick to friends
  12. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Just kidding. With a name like Frank Smith I can't say much.
  13. NVKatoom

NVKatoom n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting to find something in the app department to use for route making. But I need it for off road route making. I bought a Garmin CSx and then used their mapping software to create an offroad route from Lake Tahoe to Vegas as close the the eastern Sierra as possible. It was a bitch and took almost a month of working at night dropping pins every 1/4 mile on two track and trails. It worked pretty good but as stated above it would be nice to have a bigger screen to read the map from. The Garmin screen leaves a lot to be desired.

So does this work for offroad or only on road situations?
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I've only used it on road. Routes. Ohgood is your man. MotionPro GPS is popular off road. I don't know if it syncs. I don't have it installed.

Found this in another thread by woodbutcher.

I use the MotionX GPS HD on my ipad. The way I get .gpx files to it from the computer is using the Dropbox app. I put the .gpx files in dropbox on my pc or mac and on the ipad I open the dropbox app, and select the .gpx file. It asks if I want to open it with MotionX and when I tap yes, it launches MotionX with the new data from the .gpx file loaded up. Very simple.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    sorry but I don't know a thing about the iPhone/iPad stuff. motion x and Gaia seem to be popular, but no first hand experience.

I'd tell you about good android stuff, but that would be rude of me to do in the iPhone thread.
  16. mexipike

mexipike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I downloaded sygic on my ipad and I'm trying to make a custom route, how do you go about this?
  17. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Select the destination. Route and navigate it. Then tap via points a pop up will come up. Then select travel via.
  18. Meff

Meff half way there...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this scfrank - Can you clarify the highlighted statement above ?

Have you been able to export Google Maps in to a converter program like ITN Converter for PC or Route Converter for Mac (what I'm using) and successfully load it to DropBox then access it in Sygic ?

I'm able to do this with CoPilot (save as .trp file) but I can't with Sygic as I'm not sure what the export extension name needs to be for Sygic to recognize the file from DropBox. Route Converter has a Sygic file format option, but it's listed as a .txt file and needs to be converted from that to a Sygic format to work. There is also a Tom Tom format (as Sygic uses Tom Tom maps I believe) but it does not show up in Sygic either.

Any help you or others can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Not to side track your efforts, but you should be petitioning your applications' developer to simply accept .gpx file like all the other good ones do.

No conversion, no formatting issues, just download n go.
  20. scfrank

Oddometer:
    By default, the route starts at your current position. Bring up the menu. Select Navigate To. Select Destination, address or POI. Select Drive To.

Route will show up on map. You can zoom in or out. If you tap on the route you will establish a waypoint. You can drag and drop it to move the route.

Select option on bottom to change parameters to avoid highways, etc. you can also save the route.

Checkout. WWW.SYGIC.COM