Sygic on ipad and iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scfrank, Jul 25, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll try and answer this. I haven't done this with google maps, but if you have a GPX file from google maps this should work. I use ITNCONV and not Route Converter. Should be similar.

The output of either should be *.ITF file. Selectable in export format in ITNCONV.

[​IMG]

The name is the file description and will be the route name, not the file name.

This is the file name.

[​IMG]

YYMMDD_HHMMSS.ITF

Note Save as type.

I just saved this into a folder on my desktop. You could save it directly into the dropbox folder. see below

Open Dropbox
    Select the APPS folder

[​IMG]

Select Sygic North America
    [​IMG]

Select RES
    [​IMG]

Select itinerary
    [​IMG]

Place the file into this itinerary folder

Here is my intinerary folder.
    [​IMG]

You should now be able to go into SYGIC, Open Route, and see this new route on the list. Note, the name will be the description entered earlier.

You have to have SYNC turned on in SYGIC and have DROPBOX selected.

To do this in SYGIC:

Settings

Connection

More Options

Scroll Down and select Dropbox

Tap it which indicates a check mark.

If you do this on an iPad and iPhone it syncs the two. Both use the same DropBox folder for routes. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes to sync.

If this doesn't help PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
  2. Meff

Meff half way there...

Oddometer:
    Thanks scfrank - above and beyond what I expected.

I had been using the procedure you detailed for CoPilot with Google Maps --> Route Converter --> DropBox --> CoPilot (saved as .trp file) and it is very slick and easy to use. The problem lies in the fact that Route Converter does not offer the .itf file extension Sygic requires (only offers .txt for Sygic which is used for the POI import) so therefore I can't find a way to convert the file in to .itf - I know that ITN Converter works as do a couple of others, but I only use Apple so can't use ITN Converter and Route Converter does not offer the .itf export.

I can't get this to work at all (and may be a moot point based on what I wrote above) - when I select DropBox it just hangs forever and will not select. It won't even let me select to turn it Off as this option just hangs as well
  3. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I had that problem at first. Turn off iCloud first. I had to reinstall dropbox and carefully setup in correct sequence.

Itnconv doesn't run on mac?

Have you looked at gpsbabel?

I have iPod and iPhone but not Mac.
  4. Meff

Meff half way there...

Oddometer:
    I tried to turn off iCloud (I'm assuming you mean within the Sygic App) and it just hangs as well. If I turn it off on the iPad then I'll lose all of my sync'd data (mail, contacts, etc..)

ITN does not run on Mac no - Thanks for the GPSBabel as it has a ton of file options, but.... sadly there are no Sygic file formats at all.

The developers of Sygic claim (I'll paraphrase) 'that it is the world's most used navigation app" and yet trying to find software that works with it is proving to be a challenge.

I can still make routes on the iPad Mini - it's just a pain in the ass, and I much prefer Google Maps for planning.

I'll soldier on - thanks for the help
  5. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Another good option on the mac is Tyre. It definitely saves routes in ITN format. Also can open gpx files. I like it as much as google maps. I think it runs good on a mac. The basic version is free.

--- I tried tyre and it doesnt save as ITF. It does IRF, a Tyre format and ITN which is tomtom. Sygic doesn't recognize either. Sorry.

I got in touch with sygic via email and their support was good.

You shouldn't have to turn off sync with iCloud on iPad, just in sygic.

I found a lot of info about ITN2ITF. a conversion program for mac. Couldn't find a link. Google it.
  6. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I write this I am on a week long trip on the Trans Labrador Highway. Sygic has worked well with the exception of ETA to arrival. Mile to destination is fine no problem working off line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. Meff

Meff half way there...

Oddometer:
    I ended up emailing Sygic support and they did get back to me but stated - "Sygic gps navigation does not support route importing from external sources at the moment. We are working on a similar feature and it will be released soon."

I just completed a 10 day, 4000 mile / 6000 kms trip using only the iPad Mini for navigation using Sygic, CoPilot, Motion-X GPS Drive - fantastic set up

I started a thread on it here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007174
  8. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thx, it would be great if they provided the translation from gpx. Should be easy enough. Glad it worked for you. I'll check out the report.
  9. rfulcher

rfulcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I set up a route for a ride a few weeks back. I started the route a few miles from home so I never touched the 1st few via points. It was constantly directing me to reroute. It made the turn by turn useless. It has done this on several other routes, even short ones. 2 weeks ago I followed a route exactly and touched every via point. The turn by turn directions were perfect. Every other GPS unit or app I have used would compensate for a missed way/via point and optimize the route. How can a get Sygic to compensate for a missed waypoint as do most other GPS.
  10. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Good question for sygic :D. I don't have an answer. I am starting to use an approach suggest by others. I don't do turn by turn. Don't turn nav on. Just display the route on the map and direct yourself. You lose turn by turn. Should be able to zoom out and see the route. I think this recalculation of routes is a problem on all GPS.

I use tom tom also and can delete waypoints I've passed. It then routes me to the next waypoint. But you have to stop and edit the route.

I honestly haven't tried that on sygic.

Every gps I've had gets wacky if you get off route. How does it know where you want to return to the route? They don't.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    +1 on the part about no longer using turn by turn, i gave up on it a while back. load 3-4 routes or tracks on the screen and ride. even with fine detailed settings like when to switch from navigation to guiding, its just not good enough to prevent having to stop and " fix" something mid ride.
  12. rfulcher

rfulcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Garmin 276c and 60csx will both adjust the route if you miss or go around via points. It might take a while but when the next via point is touched or you get closer to the next via point than the skipped/missed via point the GPS recalculates and "forgets" the missed via points. The Garmin U.S.A GPS app for Iphones also does this.

The Garmin USA app works well and you can route on the phone. The only problem for me is the Garmin USA app can't import or export custom routes.
  13. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ability to load saved routes seems to have disappeared completely in the latest (14.5) version of Sygic on my iPhone 6.

There is no menu item for load routes and even though I have several in my synced dropbox folders (Sygic ones) nothing shows up in the app. It used to work fine as I recall but the app has been totally emasculated.
  14. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried those, but I had a 660 (nav IV) and it didn't recalc worth a damn. How do you know where to go during the 'takes awhile' period?

As far as this thread, I've had so much trouble with sygic getting completely lost Ive stopped using it. I liked it at first designing routes on my ipad and using them on iphone, until i actually started using it in the field. :D

Should have reserved judgement until i had more experience with it.
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    yep.

'following' a route or track, or even just waypoint guidance (in the woods) works so much better than ANY applications' screwy 'recalculating' mess. getting my head around "missed the turn, i need to make the next block of right turns to correct it" is so much nicer than waiting for a device to figure things out.
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    If anyone's still using Sygic, you might be interested in this. Got an email from them about a sale on l'live services"

Special weekend offer: -50% (-10€) off Live Services

Save time & money by avoiding traffic jams and police traps with Live services - combined power of our most popular online features: Real-Time Traffic and Mobile Speed Camera Warnings, in one amazing add-on product. Require internet connection.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.