Symba

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by uraldog, May 24, 2009.

1. DrZook

DrZook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First time in 29 years of motorbiking that this happened to me, on the way in to work this morning. My wife, bless her heart, found me, helped me load my bike in her Buick Rendezvous and took me home (yes it fits; check my avatar). At this point it's just a matter of getting a tube and the back wheel back on.
  2. DrZook

DrZook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My avatar is when I first got my Symba--we took off the mirrors and stuffed it in the back of my wife's Rendezvous.

It was the back tire that went out. There was no drama at all; just seemed to be getting slower and then it got bumpy. It was fully controllable right up to the end. My last thought before pulling over was 'I don't remember this section of road getting bumpy...'
    Considering all the stories I heard of blowouts I think I got off pretty easy. Thank you guardian angel:clap
  3. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome handling. It's neutral that blow outs do not upset the suspension.
  4. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    I notice something unusual last week.

I was on a trip, about 300 miles from home. So I didn't have any of my usual chain lube (PJ1). I've been using PJ1 for over 1000 miles on the Symba, and there's no chain stretch at all.

I lubed the chain at the hotel using motor oil because it was handy and owners manual says to use it. After the 300 mile ride home, the chain was very loose.

So, motor oil seems to be bad chain lube.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may have finally loosened by then. The couple who rode around the globe had their chains coming loose constantly.
  6. DrZook

DrZook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.
    First 1000 or so miles on mine I didn't get any stretch on the chain and I was using motor oil too. IIRC the original chain that comes with the Symba is reputed to be junk. Mine's needing replacement at this point...but I have just a hair over 4000 miles on it.

Here's a question: Is it possible to convert a Symba (or any other low-power chain-driven motorcycle) to belt drive? Wouldn't have to worry about anything going loose and the chainguard would keep anything from getting between the belt and pulley (of course we might have to bend the chainguard just so). Anybody else want to weigh in on this?
  7. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Yes go with a name brand O ring chain such as DID, but first have a look to make sure the slightly wider than stock chain will clear the engine case, chain enclosure, etc.. They last several times longer than standard chains.

Does the Symba use a 420 or a 428 chain?
  8. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    They also cost several times more.

And there's the issue of o-ring drag robbing horse power. When you only have 7-hp, every little bit counts.
  9. DrZook

DrZook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In all honesty I was hoping someone else made that climb already to see if a belt drive conversion would be feasible. I saw on YouTube where some guy converted a mountain bike to belt drive. Figured it wasn't that big a leap to small motorbikes.
  10. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if even an O-ring chain would fit. To put one on my RE, I would have to go with a one tooth bigger front sprocket. I feel the bike is geared high enough already, if not maybe a hair too high. It feels absolutely perfect at 60 mph. It is also supposed to have a cheap chain, but I have 3000 miles on it, and only adjusted the chain once at around 500 miles. It's still perfect. I use BelRay Super Clean chain lube. It is possible to get much higher quality non O-ring chains than what usually come stock. I have 7,000 miles on my XT225 chain, and it should easily make it to 10,000. And a lot of that was off road. On the XT it takes less than 10 minutes to remove the chain, and then you can drop it in a jug of oil and let it soak.
  11. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    12,000 miles on my C70 Passport non-O ring chain and it looks to be in fine shape. I have about 1/3 adjustment remaining. Due to the enclosed chain I lube it once a year and have adjusted it maybe 3 times.
  12. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes an oring chain fits, I replaced mines when I got home from alaska. The stock chain just had really soft steel, it needed to be changed at 1k miles but mine did last me about 8k miles. I was lucky that I did not have chain failure. Can't remember if it was a 420 or 428 chain, should say on the stock chain..I'm leaning towards 428 for some reason
  13. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    Really...once a year?

Man I must be over doing it. I lube about twice per week. But I ride it almost every day ,15 miles.
    And I lube it every morning during long distance trip.
  14. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    Why belt? Won't they snap easier if they get dirty.

Chain is strong especially in dirty environment.
  15. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enclosed chain would be great for belt.

Belt needs a consistent tension to function. Unless the front sprocket is in line with swing arm pivot it will not have consistent tension.
  16. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spray a lot of PJ on the chain and then brush a lot of auto transmission fluid. The lube seems to hold the fluid quite well. The inside of the chain enclosure isn't exactly pretty, but the chain is good for lubrication for a year - although I ride it only a 1000-2000 miles in that time Cleaning the chain is another matter.
  17. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    I just removed the stock chain to thoroughly clean it. (Been riding on dirt roads a lot lately). I'm seeing minor scratch marks on the side of the chain. Looks like it has been rubbing against something (probably the swing arm). I would be concern about switching to o-ring chains, since they're wider.
  18. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
  19. 73Mustang

Oddometer:
    Guys & gals,
    I need some advice with a engine problem. Last winter when the weather started to turn cool, the engine began to stuttering. It does it when I crack the throttle open quickly. For example, the throttle is closed as I'm slowing down for a red light...the light turned green...so I crack the throttle open to 3/4...the engine stumbles for a second or two before it accelerate. This problems seems to be getting worse.

Also, it only does it when the engine is fully warmed up. When the engine is cold, it doesn't stutter no matter how hard I crack the throttle.

First I suspected jetting is off. I've tried a 58, 60 and 62 main. I've tried a size bigger slow jet. I've tried all the different combinations. I've tried messing with the fuel screw. I've tried raising the needle by adding a small washing. I couldn't get rid of this stumble.

I'm at wits end. I'm beginning to suspect the problem is somewhere else...like the CDI module or ignition coil...since the problem only shows up when the engine is at operating temperature.

What do y'all think?
  20. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CDI ice test.