Symba

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by uraldog, May 24, 2009.

1. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I think I figured it out. I put a smaller main jet in there: size 55 (stock is 58). And now the bike is running phenonomenally. I'm at sea-level (Gulf Coast). I'll be paying close attention to make sure the 55 size doesn't cause any overheating problem.

I thought all new stock bikes are always jet'ed lean to satisfy EPA. So it never occur to me that my bike could be rich from the factory.

Or maybe it's the ethanol in the gas nowadays.
  2. tincansandtwine

tincansandtwine n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey 73Mustang; how did going to a 55 main jet work out for you? I'm having some similar issues and will likely give it a try.
  3. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Per ootscoot . . "I just got word the SYM will no longer manufacturing the Symba."
  4. toolshed

toolshed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda saddened by this...

5. HelloPitty

HelloPitty Motorbike Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm sad to see the Symba go, it's my best little off-road trail bike, I love the 12 volt system.
    [​IMG]

She is a great in town bike too: (was trying a different seat on her)
    [​IMG]

But I mostly bought her for the dirt trails in my area:
    [​IMG]
  6. mouserat

mouserat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All the more reason to hold onto yours! (and for me to hold onto mine). Now we have rather unique bikes. And the ones we have won't go poof and die just because there aren't any more new ones coming off the line. The only thing that worries me slightly is parts.
  7. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    Re: Symba parts. How many small 60's Honda's are still out there being used? People manage.

It shouldn't be too hard to get parts from Taiwan if the Symba was a model sold in Taiwan. If parts are unavailable in the US sometime in the future,I wouldn't be too worried. SYM isn't going out of business.

If the bike was mine, I would pick up some extra air cleaners and an extra pair of brake shoes. When yours wear out, the new ones could be used as a template to get new linings bonded onto the old shoes. Most everything else should easily be available in the aftermarket.
  8. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    Considering how durable the Symba is, if you keep yours and take care of it, very likely it could last as long as you will.
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Still thinking of getting a Symba for my wife, and wondering if anyone has heard of another Cub clone coming along. Could Honda be thinking of bringing the Wave to the US, or some other substitute?

I just figured out why SYM is stopping production (I think). Honda trademarked the shape of the Cub in Japan last year. Guess they'll be stopping all those copies, everywhere, soon.

Maybe Honda will bring the Wave to the USA. Hope it's the 125.
  10. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which bench seat is that, and is that the Carter Brothers rack?
    Are you still in possession of either/both, since I do not see them on the other photos?

I just picked up a 2012 Symba and would really like to put on a bench seat with extended rack, but am on a limited budget so finding used parts would be ideal.
    Not even sure if the factory bench seat and extended rack are even available.
  11. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Since it a honda club clone I thinking a Honda seat will fit it . Ebay or dratv should have them.
  12. HelloPitty

Oddometer:
    The bench seat was purchased from a gentleman who made it himself. The rack was customized using the original rack, plus some added on pieces.
    I do have the spare seat, but plan on keeping it at this time.
    I do think you can still purchase the seat from an authorized SYM dealer.
    Do you like the Symba? I love it.
  13. HelloPitty

Oddometer:
    Here's the rack. I just got it back today, I had it powder coated.
    First time I've ever had that service done.
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    kottomack likes this.
  14. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:

Thank you for the reply.

I have not had much time with the bike yet. Just picked it up over the weekend on my way to a party out of state, so mostly it has just been hanging off of the back of the wagon so far.

I would probably just buy a new factory bench seat if it were not so expensive compared to the overall cost of the bike.

A previous owner has already hacked the vertical grab handle off of the stock rack, so doing an extension like yours would be pretty easy to cobble up.
    Did you sleeve the inserted section of tubing and plug weld the sleeves in place?
  15. HelloPitty

Oddometer:
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    HP,

Did you feel it???

Centered in your area.....
  17. HelloPitty

Oddometer:
    Sure did!!!! 4.8 earthquake. We were huddled in the door frame.
    We're fine, dogs fine, bikes fine :)
  18. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    if you look at the rack picture you ll see it's sporting Honda bench seats. So I guessing it works.
    [​IMG]
  19. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone you guys ridden both Symba and a Ruckus? Can you compare the acceleration?
    I don't care about top speed. Just care about how fast it can pull from stop light to 30-mph. There're lots of stop light here. Lots of stop and go driving. Need to pull fast...to avoid road rage from jerk drivers behind.
    Symba has 50cc more, but it's ancient 1970's technology, right? The Ruckus is only 50cc, but it's fuel-injected and 2015 tech, right?

What about a Buddy 50cc 2-stroke derestricted? Does the Symba beat the Buddy in acceleration?
    I heard 2-stroke is twice as powerful as 4-stroke...so that put the Buddy and Symba on the level?
  20. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Symba, but I used to have an '81 Honda Passport a long time ago (very similar to the Symba) and I have ridden a Ruckus. The Passport won hands down over the Ruckus in both acceleration and top speed. I have not ridden the Buddy 50cc 2 stroke, but used to have a Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke. It was way faster off the line than the Ruckus, but the Passport would still beat it by about 15 mph in top speed. 2 strokes are zippier than 4 strokes, they rev faster. But they are not twice as powerful overall. Revving faster is what gets them moving faster. Also, the Ruckus is a CVT, and the Symba is a manual shift. It's acceleration will depend on what rpm you shift at. That's assuming you are talking about full throttle acceleration. Personally I would take a Symba over either a Ruckus or a Buddy 50, but that depends on the kind of riding you do.