Symba

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by uraldog, May 24, 2009.

1. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The downfall for the Symba is the manual pedal clutch/shifter.
    The local SYM dealer warned me that the mechanism is clunky, and he refused to order one for me. (Dealer refusing money. :scratch)
    I ended up buying a second-hand one from Craigslist.

The first few weeks, the manual pedal clutch/shifter was a novelty and fun.
    I up and down shift using my toes..
    After a few weeks, the shifting became a hassle. The novelty was gone.
    I started getting frustrated because I was missing a lot of shifts and it gets real jerky when I screw up. I think the mechanism is really designed for 50cc, but they pair it with a 100cc motor. It takes effort and concentration to do a smooth shift.

The upside of the Symba is the awesome stock luggage area. I mean it's awesomely robust. Very strong.
    The rack is mounted to very strong stamped metal.
    I think you can put a passenger and an additional 200 pounds of luggage with no problem.

The Grom, on the other hand, has a weak-looking cantilever-style subframe, like dirtbikes. It can't carry any kind of serious load. That's why Grom is a bad Round-the-world bike. One would need to do some serious welding to make a Grom world-ready.

It would be super awesome to put a Grom motor into the Symba and add long travel suspension; that would be the bike.
  2. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Honda has been using it on their step-throughs since 1959, it's a proven clutch system that outnumbers manual clutched bikes around the world.

It's been used on bikes from 50cc's to 125cc's without any trouble for years and years. It's also the same clutch used on Honda Trail 90's for like forever. I had a PowRoll 125cc stroker engine in my 71 CT90 and put over 15,000 miles on that bike. Without any trouble...

It sounds like operator error or your claw clutch part needs adjustment to me. They all work well when in adjustment and not abused, but you have to be deliberate and firm when shifting, as you are momentarily disengaging the clutch when you shift, you cannot speed shift these bikes. I've owned over a dozen step-through Hondas since 1977, there's nothing mysterious or finicky about their transmissions.
  3. 73Mustang

73Mustang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what I mean too. If I'm deliberate, everything is okay. There's no being lazy about it. You have to step on it with some pressure, and you have to time throttle input. It takes a great deal of skill to shift smoothly. Most people nowadays don't want to learn the skill. I realize I just want to ride and enjoy the fresh air...not have to put my attention to shifting. The less I have to deal with, the better.
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The symba gear change is not the same as the cub gear change so don't talk about them as they are. The honda is much smoother then the sym. To get the smoothes shift out of the symba let off the gas for a bit first then give a firm quick shift.
  5. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    SYM's Symba bikes are Honda clones. How can they be any different, they were licensed copies?

They all use the same ball bearing and ramp clutch release, unless the Symba's are coming with their clutch ramps way out of adjustment, this just doesn't make sense, especially since the SYM CVT bikes I serviced were pretty nicely finished and running bikes.
  6. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    parts are not interchangeable, similar but not the same, yamaha has a version of an auto clutch too that came out about 8years ago.....more then one way to skin a cat
  7. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a pic or time to get one right now.. my 1982 honda passport has a SYM stamp on the motor. I have had several of these bikes and this is the only one that has the SYM stamp. It is a real runner. And I am sure it is made it Taiwan. The passports all have their idiosyncrasies but they are easy to shift.. yes a mis shift will jerk you like crazy. You can get used to it, but if you would rather dump that crappy sym, send it on to phoenix to me! :rofl

I must say though that DBC has really ridden every small bike and knows his stuff. I would follow his advice since he rode a symba just about as far as anyone can stand to
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Shift like this is old school , kind of like double clutching an old auto trains or semi truck. Take a little bit to learn but once you do it's become second nature .
  9. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the clunky shifting on my '81 Passport, decades ago. I have found that being slow and deliberate on a Japanese bike with a clutch always results in a missed shift or a loud clunk. I prelead the shifter, then pull in the clutch, blip the throttle, and shift all at the same time. It almost always snicks silently into gear. Even my Enfield, with a 60+ year old transmission design shifts very well that way. Unlike a car, which has Synchronizers, on a bike you have to manually synchronize the road speed and engine speed. Old trucks had to be double clutched. Newer trucks (Peterbilts anyway) can be shifted without the clutch if they are not under much of a load, just by rev matching, once you get a feel for it. I never got a feel for that Passport.
  10. ErikDK

ErikDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can't preload the shifter on the these bikes
  11. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a Symba at the same time I had (still have) my Passport. Symba shifts lighter, easier, crisper...just lightly tap it up or down. The Passport is fine too, just a bit heavier. I think they were all made with the heel - toe shift in mind because so much of the world rides these in sandals-or flip flops.
  12. Beltho

Beltho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've always found the shifting on my Symba to be pretty smooth (and when it's not it's user error :D). But maybe it's what you're used to. The only other scooters I've ridden have been CVTs. As nice as my wife's Kymco People is, when I ride it I find that I miss the shifting. For me it just makes the ride a little more fun (with the exception of when I'm in stop and go traffic, but when is that ever fun?).