Symptoms of bad carb diaphragm?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by thebisch, Oct 11, 2021.

1. thebisch

thebisch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the concise pollution free response. Its appreciated.
  2. thebisch

Oddometer:
    You win my thanks for a nice post that stays on topic. Your posts are always very helpful. Much more so than the Yellow/5 guy's posts ever are.
  3. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love it when someone starts a thread "just to fill their cranium" and then scolds the people that don't give him exactly what he asked for....Nice!

He commented that it "wasn't needed" because you stated this:

Since you weren't really experiencing issues it seems a fool's errand to list out the diaphragm-failing symptoms in anticipation of some future event where you experience one of these symptoms and are readily able to refer back to this thread to solve it. More likely you will start another thread when the symptoms arise (or possibly use the search function and discover a wealth of info on it) and render this thread moot.

For me it's about respecting the communication channels that exist here. You asked a question, then complained that you weren't getting enough responses despite the fact that you didn't need any help anyway. You should notice that "yellow /5 guy" didn't post in your thread until you complained.

BTW - you can make any thread a poll if you so choose. It's an option available to you...my point was that there are a finite set of symptoms that point to a leaky/ruptured diaphragm so just list those in your poll and let inmates click which one(s) they've experienced. Of course, you can do that with your oil threads too.
  4. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Feel free to ignore posts from me.

Your logic is convoluted.
  5. cide1

cide1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy is why the ignore button exists.
    Wayne J in MA and airhead_irl like this.
  6. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    How to diagnose a suspected bad diaphragm.......

1- Open carb.
    2- Inspect diaphragm.
    3- If bad, replace.

By the way you misspelled bitch.
    dazz, korinthias, DinEW and 2 others like this.
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't yell at us and we won't yell back, usually. You should have met Super Shaft. Have you ever been lapped? You have a low post count. Maybe you know what you are doing but that indicates a Noobie.
    akabeton and PaulBarton like this.
  8. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well anyway... the great news is that if they are torn or have a hole in them it's a quick and easy fix to just do both.

When that happend to the PD way back it quickly became one more simple item in my spare parts bag in my pannier.
    I found that an electrical tape plastic container fits 2 inside perfectly and keeps them in perfect shape in the parts bag (AKA zip open soft lunchpail).
    [​IMG]
  9. thebisch

Oddometer:
    I'm not yelling at anybody, where do you get that from? I don't know what I am doing, thats why the questions. Apparently asking questions is frowned upon by some (one?).
    Disston likes this.
  10. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Which guy?
    Disston likes this.
  11. thebisch

Oddometer:
    bitch? Anyway, you didn't say what the symptoms of a bad diaphragm are.
  12. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think post #2 gave a pretty good example. You could have found out yesterday morning in about 15 minutes
    following my 3 step procedure.:-)
  13. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Pro Tip: Generally speaking, asking for help and then telling someone they did it wrong never ends up how you intended.
    PaulBarton and korinthias like this.
  14. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your original post, sometimes abbreviated OP, wasn't clear. Having a low post count may point us to that but this time it didn't. Half of what we do here is just trying to get along. Complaining about the response you get after the thread has been up for only 2 hours was most definitely a red flag. Not all of us are here at anytime and some are not here everyday.

So anyway. The best way to get what you need and the happy Airhead vibes is to contribute and play along with the Forum idea. It's a camp fire and we are working on stuff while trying to make it not seem like work.

You wanna see a fight? Me and Plaka get into it sometimes but we are best friends, I hope. Being an Old Fart teaches you these things.
    airhead_irl and korinthias like this.
  15. thebisch

Oddometer:
    Asking how to get to NYC then getting reposes to go to Phily as an answer are useless.
  16. TommyCareless

TommyCareless Break Down Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me, with the addition of terrible fuel mileage. Bike ran out of gas a block from my GF's and would normally get me to her place and back. She lived in another city at the time. The way the bike acted they were the first thing I checked, both torn. Not like little tears, they were effed.

~T
  17. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    They may well be, but as Disston mentioned, this is the virtual campfire and some of the people around it may not be on the same wavelength for various reasons. Some won’t read the whole question, some might guess what you’re after if you’re not concise with the question, some will be reminded of something else and head off to Philly.

I guess I’m just suggesting that you pick through the comments and take the info that applies to your situation. Some of these kinds of threads run their course and then evolve into wonderful discussions far from the original topic.

The fact you were just fishing for random knowledge and it wasn’t tied to a particular set of personal symptoms sets up a whole different kind of dynamic, not one we see here very often.

Don’t take it personally, these are very generous, knowledgeable guys and it pays to come in with your hat in hand. As you might have figured out by now, it’s one of the best airhead resources on the web today.
    korinthias and PaulBarton like this.
  18. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not even close to what happened here. You asked "everyone" to tell you how to make pasta and then you complained that not enough people shared their recipes and besides "I'm not even hungry I was just wondering what your experiences were." I'm pretty sure people sent you directions to somewhere other than Philly.

It appears that it isn't just the yellow /5 guy that is having issues with the thread direction. Even though it's not the advice you asked for maybe you should heed some of the insights provided by your more favored inmates. Most on here think you were asking for "help" diagnosing an issue with your bike and jumped into "help"...others figured out you were just "shooting the breeze" and not really adding anything for the benefit of the forum.

Maybe instead of retorting to each contrary post you look at the thread as a whole and see where things may have gone awry...(hint: it wasn't really at the yellow /5 guy's first post...or any of his thereafter)

If you give it some thought you will realize that no one offered a negative comment to your question or even the act of asking a question. Rather, it is your impatient scolding that drew the ire of most on here....the scolding continues with every sharp tongued retort to anyone that suggests contrary to your wishes...
    DinEW, Chad M, airhead_irl and 2 others like this.
  19. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say that the carb diaphragms on my bikes are fine… (exit, stage right).
  20. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Flooding the disk with black rustoleum paint used to be popular because they rust. This also seals any possible leak. This requires a little can of liquid [paint but one has that anyway for touching up the swingarm and lower frame cross tube.