T.O. Bike Show - Ramblings

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Arbey Canuck, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup … the ADV- Gang is rubbing off on me and challenging my horizons!! I actually picked up a pair of custom fitted earplugs on Friday … at the bike show. After all the threads and notes on ear damage / plugs … I finally gave in and am willing to give it a whirl.

The exhibitor was a nice lady from Florida doing her first show in Canada. Her name was Marilyn Navia … her company’s name was ‘NOWHEARTHIS’ … no website but email address plugup@aol.com

I had to sit for about 30 min. with the silicon jammed in my ears … but came back an hour later and they were all finished and ready to be used. I paid $60 Cad no tax … she also does the same plugs with speakers for $210 Cad

Tried them out for the first time this morning. I found the ride to be very very different. First though … these babies are comfortable … as they’re moulded right in your ear and are therefore better than flush when you place your hand over your ear. The way they’re moulded you have to twist them in and back again to get them out. Also takes a little digging to be able to twist them back … so they ain’t going to fall out that’s for sure. I like my helmet snug and had no problems with them in. Second … they’re incredible quiet. I couldn’t even hear my motor when I got over 65 mph in top gear … could only feel it. Once up to highway speeds I could only hear small amounts of wind noise. I passed a tractor-trailer and only heard him when he let off the gas pedal.

For me though … I wasn’t that comfortable first time out. Not hearing the tires … the road … the motor … weird man!!! Funny … it certainly made me drive mellower. I had little desire to eat up the gaps and jump through the small pockets … like I normally do in traffic. Just was content to move along quietly with everyone else. I felt like I was riding a Gold Wing not a Beemer … everything just seemed to be so much smoother and quieter. I guess I’d forgotten what it’s like to ride a bike without all that boxer racket!!!

I can see myself using these for mundane commuting purposes and long highway hauls but probably will be leaving them out for any spirited riding. My problem is that I like to make every ride spirited … I guess maybe at 45 I should be getting mellower on my bike … and maybe these plugs can help with the evolution!!! Yah right!!

I also picked up a pair of winter riding gloves … no brand name just ‘Thinsulate’ on the Velcro wrist strap. Man … are they nice … reasonably thin … so you don’t feel like you’re trying to ride with boxing gloves on … and extremely warm. It was below freezing this morning … didn’t need the heated grips on … and fingertip temp was the same as the rest of the glove!! $20 no tax … I’ve been looking at some up here in the $40 to $60 range … glad I didn’t buy!!!!

I also picked up a new leather jacket from the same guy … some dude from Montreal Quebec who’s stupendous DDG blonde bombshell of a daughter was all leathered up and serving!!! It the special little moments at bike shows … that bring so much joy … like bartering with ‘barbie’ … for what seemed like an eternity!!! The dudes no fool … his kiosk was the busiest by far. The sign above the jacket had $299 x’d out and $199 posted. We began there and ended at $120 cash no tax. Today one of the sales guys at BMW offered me $250 for it!!! I’m a happy man … knowing that I certainly had a wonderful ‘sales’ experience … but now also believing I made a steal of a deal.

Oh yeah … the bikes … wasn’t that impressed with the look and feel of the DL V-Strom … but I bet that motor rocks … or the pink paint job on the Speed Triple … or the rails and accessory options on the F650CS. I was also a bit disappointed with the new Hornet from a visual perspective … when you sit on the bike everything you see is just to damn round … tank, instrumentation etc. To bad … it was a bike that I thought might be calling my name. I guess I’m back to the 1200 ZRX.

Biggest disappointment … no Adventure … though too utilitarian for me … I know it will appeal to lots of people. I really wanted to see what the gas tank looked like because I think it would be a great compromise between the stocker and the 41 liter beast. It was my first time seeing the new RS … I like it … and would definitely go there before the RT … cause it’s more me.

The only other bike that stood out good or bad was the new VFR800. What a nice bike and the only one that would ever motivate me to do the clipon thingy.

Bye now … the rambling is over.
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling. I keep trying to ride with earplugs but I hate them. I feel disconnected from my bike. I feel I don't ride as well with them in. It is like when I ride with my big winter gloves on, again I am just not as connected to the bike.
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    I, OTOH, can't stand to ride without them. All that racket drives me nuts. I'll pull right over if I've forgotten to put them in. :dunno
    I really like to listen to my breathing when I'm wicking it up - that's when the lack of background noise is helpful to getting in the zone, for me....
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I have to wear earplugs when I ride, and even so, I get tinnitis (sp?) frequently. I use the little foam jobs by the 200 pack (max leight, i think). I have a pair of custom-made earmold thingies, and they drive me absolutely bananas. I can't stand them. In fact, I'm gonna go out to the garage right now and smash 'em with a 10# sledge, burn 'em with my lighter and throw them over the back fence. :thwak
  5. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took awhile to get used to them...now I can't ride without. My ears do noticably ring if I don't use them.

Sorta like my helmet, jacket, sturdy boots...

I once was a squid, but now I'm found...was stupid, but now I seeeeeee....
  6. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    I always wear my earplugs. I wear them in the right sleeve pocket of my roadcrafter. I always remember to put them in -- right after I've fastened my helmet, put on my sunglasses and have been riding for ten miles. :doh
  7. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do the same the first morning commuting after taking the cage for a few days...

I always stop at the same darn gas station to put them in too...wonder if the staff notices..:):

Speaking of which, what's with this weather...it was 50+F today and still 44F right now...
  8. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cRAsH ... do you remember how long it took you to be comfortable with them ... and did you experience anything during the transition ?????

My note was actually composed Monday AM ... and not posted until last night because of down time. I've since done 6 more rides with the plugs in ... and am starting to feel a little more comfortable each time.

What I am starting to like ... is the serene like environment within my helmet ... it's like all the harshness to the ride has just vanished. Yet I find myself stuggling because my brain is so used to using all that input to process and react to!!!

I'm still not used to that feeling ... like I'm riding a Gold Wing. Mild dry day this morning and I just feel like I'm lollygagging down the open road ... cause it feels so smooth and queit within ... glanced down and see 165 kph ... my brain was telling me ... can't be no more than 125 kph!!!

Did you experience any of this?????
  9. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    You describe it well - I don't recall how long it took, but I remember liking it almost right away.
    Same thing - the serenity sometimes lends itself to higher speeds without really noticing it. I have to be careful about that to this day.
    When it gets REAL obvious is when you forget to put them in after you get used to them - man, it really sucks! Like I said, the noise will literally drive me to pulling over and putting them in.
    Then, it's all about a-a-a-a-a-ahhhh....:):
  10. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    I wear earplugs for anything over a ride to the store and back. If you buy a large box and keep a few pairs in your jacket, backpack, side cases, etc. - you'll always have 'em when you need 'em. You'll be amazed how you forget they're even there. And by how much they reduce fatigue.

Marc