T120 Adventures and Playlists

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by tjt94, Dec 9, 2018.

1. tjt94

tjt94 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since my previous posts were short and separate, I thought I might consolidate my weekend and summer adventures into one thread. My previous threads in this forum are these:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/giant-rock-blocked.1345061/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-giant-rock-round-2.1349795/

Anyway, the weather in southern California has been beautiful following the rains we received early in the week. The desert air has been cleaned and the plants are dust free and waiting for photos. It was a perfect day yesterday to take a short 180 mile morning ride.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 7.28.49 AM.png

My T120 is a 2018 and is a fantastic riding bike. It is probably the best suited to the kind of riding that I do anymore, that being around town and day rides under 400 miles. The power delivery of the high torque 1200 is so well suited to backroad riding and fuel economy is always in the upper 40's as long as I don't run over 80 mph for extended periods of time. My only beef right now is legroom and comfort. I am 6'4" and find most bike to be cramped in stock form. I have worked on the T120 comfort with the addition of a seat pad from Walmart and sheepskin from IKEA. It has extended my comfort range considerably and the 400 mile day is pretty easy.

Back to yesterday's ride - - - the first stop was at Canyon Sin Nombre off San Diego Co. S-2. Beautiful landscape and sky.

CynSinNombre.jpg

On up the road to the Box Canyon site of the Overland Stage Route.

S2Box.jpg BoxCyn.jpg
  2. tjt94

Oddometer:
    The day continued with enjoyment of the vistas that S-2 always provides.

S2.jpg
    Heatery and B10Dave like this.
  3. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Lunch in Julian followed by a run down the Sunrise Highway. I tend to always stop at this particular overlook to see what is up with the hang gliders.

HangGlide.jpg
    Heatery likes this.
  4. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Into Jacumba.

Jucumba.jpg

Out of Jacumba (this pic was taken last year but really nothing has changed other than the addition of the fly screen).

border.jpg

I was home by 2 PM and able to complete the rest of the day in a better frame of mind had I not taken the nice ride on my nice bike. Life is good.
  5. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    good to see you're consolidating rides... makes it one stop shopping for SoCal ride reports...
    tjt94 likes this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    East SD county has some of the best rides for varied scenery, thanks for the reminder of rides past. Im also 6-4 , rode many thousands of miles in that area on a Buell cyclone 2 up.
    tjt94 likes this.
  7. doppler94

doppler94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those roads look like fun to take some adventure. Nice TR
  8. Bors

Bors Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How effective is the fly screen at over 60mph?
  9. tjt94

Oddometer:
    About perfect for me. It calmed down the air considerably. I can comfortably ride at 80 all day.
  10. tjt94

Oddometer:
    The weather is perfect here (70's) and I had a couple of hours to burn so I made a quick run up the hill to a scenic turnaround. The mountains of eastern San Diego County have huge tracts of boulder fields filled with giant blobby boulders. I never tire of being in amongst them. I can be in them in 40 minutes. Total time of ride today, two hours.

MtHm.jpg

My sister named this picture Elephant Rock. I didn't see it when I took the pic but cannot not see it now.

MtHome.jpg
    Shin1ichi2002 likes this.
  11. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Jan. 3, 2019, the first ride of the year. Beautiful day in the upper 50's and it turned into a reminder of the beauty of the area in which I live. Instead of riding up to the 4000 foot elevations of the mountains to the west with cooler temperatures, I decided to revisit the fields and the desert of the extreme southeast corner of California (Imperial County) where I call home. This area basically provides all of the winter months fresh produce in the USA. While not particularly great motorcycle roads (straight), there really is a lot to see and explore.

IMG_2886.jpg
  12. tjt94

Oddometer:
    50 miles down the road and I stopped at the remains of a stop that had been on the Butterfield Stagecoach route. This was the Pilot Knob Station.

StageStop.jpg Stage2.jpg
    EZMoney and Shin1ichi2002 like this.
  13. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Continuing east, I rode Winterhaven and made the right turn north back into the agricultural area. The level of agricultural production in the Imperial and Yuma Counties dwarfs the production of entire states in the US. These are not small acreage family farms but multimillion dollar production entities, albeit many are family owned, very rich and powerful families.

One of the many date groves of the area.

IMG_2887.jpg

Broccoli that has been recently harvested.

IMG_2888.jpg
  14. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 03 has the older taller fly screen works good to take the wind blast off my chest.
    With the torque of the Bonny I dropped 2 teeth on the rear and up 1 on the front, cruz's all day between 70 & 80 better MPG and less buzzy engine
    Nice pixs of your ride
  15. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Lettuce is king here and nearly every variety is grown. I only shot pictures of these three but go past fields of Iceburg and Romaine on a daily basis.

Green leaf lettuce -

IMG_2889.jpg

Red leaf lettuce -

IMG_2890.jpg

Mixed greens. The contents of the mixed bags you buy at the store are actually grown together and harvested, washed, and bagged in the proportions selected.

IMG_2891.jpg
  16. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I had forgotten that this museum existed. They claim to have the largest collection of Model T Fords in the US. I have never gone into the museum, but I think they must also keep the clouds inside with the T's since there were not visible outside the walls.

IMG_2892.jpg
  17. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Laguna Dam - it is a diversion dam that was built between 1903 - 1905. This started the development of agriculture in the area to what it is today.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 7.13.27 AM.png
  18. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Next stop is Senator Wash Reservoir. It is used to help store extra water from the Colorado River. I used to take my kids waterskiing in it. The water level is very low at this time and there is a bad odor throughout the area as well.

IMG_2894.jpg IMG_2895.jpg IMG_2897.jpg
  19. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Below Senator Wash Dam is Squaw Lake, an inlet on the Colorado River.

IMG_2896.jpg
  20. tjt94

Oddometer:
    On my exit out, I surprised a large coyote. He made a quick exit and made it hard for me to capture pictures with my phone.

IMG_2898.jpg