T120 Adventures and Playlists

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by tjt94, Dec 9, 2018.

1. tjt94

tjt94 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modern day Highway S-2 runs parallel with the Butterfield Stage route. The lower part is separated by a few miles (separated by some mountains) and the upper part runs on the route.

S-2 is one of my favorite roads to ride. Always something new whether its flowers and vegetation changes, or desert big horns running across the road.

DSC_0692.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg
    EZMoney and CCitis like this.
  2. tjt94

Oddometer:
    More S-2

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg
    EZMoney likes this.
  3. tjt94

Oddometer:
    This outing ended at the road leading to the Carrizo Creek Station of the Butterfield Stage. Again, a different bike would be preferred to ride to the station, about 6 miles up the road. I will likely drive my truck up to the site as there has been some archeological excavation done.

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

All in all, it was another very nice day riding my favorite of all bikes I have owned.
    EZMoney and Shin1ichi2002 like this.
  4. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning riding is always a joy and today was no exception. Also, it was important to get the green and white bike out on the road to conjure up a win of my Spartans over the Duke Teletubbies.

Today I rode to a couple more historical sites that are very local. These are very local. Fort Romualdo Pacheco is 11 miles from my house while Yuha Well is only 9 miles away.

The site of Fort Pacheco is off Worthington Road alongside the bank of the New River. Fort Romualdo Pacheco was built by Mexican Army Lt. Romualdo Pacheco and soldiers at this site in 1825-26. It was built with adobe and is the only Mexican fort in Alta California. On April 26, 1826, Kumeyaay Indians attacked the fort, killing three soldiers and wounding three others. Pacheco abandoned the fort, removing soldiers to San Diego.

Upon my arrival to the site, I noticed that the marker and entire south and west sides of the site had active bee hives. There were more then enough bees in the air and I was not willing to see if they would allow a picture of the marker. Maybe next time.

FtPacheco.jpg

Looking at the New River from Ft. Pacheco site.

NextPacheco.jpg

By using the "historical places" search in Google Maps, I also just discovered the marker for the Yuha Well today. It is located at the eastbound rest area on I-8 near Sealey, California. That well is about a mile north of the Butterfield Stage Indian Wells Station site. Pretty interesting to find these things so nearby.

YuhaWell.jpg

YuhaSign.jpg
  5. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of your bike... nice. How did you attach an ikea sheepskin to it?
  6. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I put this one on top of an ATV seatpad I got from Walmart. I cut slits in the sheepskip and ran the pad's buckles through them. I also screwed the sheepskin down to the buckle straps using screw conchos.

On previous sheepskins I glued webbing (straps) to the bottom and buckled under the seat. Again, I secured the webbing a little better using screw conchos through the skin and the webbing.

Let me know if that makes sense. I can probably take a couple of pictures of the system if not.
    Shin1ichi2002 likes this.
  7. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Saturday morning here made for a great time to take a quick 140 mile loop through Glamis then down Ogilby Road. It's also a Green and White day since my alma mater is playing in the final four tonight. Most appropriate to get the Spartan bike out for a ride.

The overlook of the Imperial Sand Dunes was drifted in so I was not able to get pics from the top. Next time.

Again, what a great bike for these kinds of rides!

msuOg.jpg

fuller.jpg

overlook.jpg

glamis2.jpg
    EZMoney likes this.
  8. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Onward through Glamis, to the Imperial Gables, then down Ogilby Road.

glamis1.jpg

ImpGables1.jpg

ImpGables3.jpg

og1.jpg
    EZMoney likes this.
  9. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Today I installed a set of progressive fork spring and ran out to the lowest point on the US Interstate system. Then down a rough county road. The springs were a good addition!

FEA05F50-D57A-46B3-94D1-5EE1F0C1D9FB.jpeg

7DB67CF5-9BFB-4F3E-A2FC-DAE88BFDFAC8.png
  10. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Time for a return to Bombay Beach since it's basically local (40 minutes away) and the weather is still under 100. This time I found more decay and interesting graffiti art and sculptures.

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 6.08.33 PM.png

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Attached Files:

kickstandsup, black 8 and EZMoney like this.
  11. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Seafaring decay. IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0021.jpg
  12. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Bombay Beach graffiti.

IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0023.jpg
  13. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Salton Sea giant clams should be avoided as should any fish or shellfish from that polluted mess.

IMG_0024.jpg
    black 8 and EZMoney like this.
  14. tjt94

Oddometer:
    The sculptures in Bombay Beach were surprising and interesting.

IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0102.jpg
  15. tjt94

Oddometer:
    After Bombay Beach it was onward to Coachella then Palm Desert to make a run up the switchbacks of Highway 74.

IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0108.jpg
  16. tjt94

Oddometer:
    There were groups of high end cars running the highway. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Bentleys, Porsches, Maseratis, and even McClarrens.

There was also an MG club running a variety of MGB's and the like.

IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0110.jpg IMG_0111.jpg
    kickstandsup likes this.
  17. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I stopped at Warner Ranch on S2 since it was a stage stop on the Butterfield Stage route that I have discussed before. There are remaining walls of the original adobe building under cover.

IMG_0115.jpg
  18. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Then onward towards home.

IMG_0116.jpg
    black 8 likes this.
  19. wetwider

wetwider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along, 94 - really enjoyed seeing that territory with you. I'd driven through some of it, read about Bombay, but you gave us a better look! Mighty nice T120 too!

For another way of putting sheepskin on, here's a pic of my T100 with its sheepskin, the front half over inch=thick memory foam. The tail attaches with one snap in the center at the back of the seat.

Mine's attached with five snaps. I got some "stickyback" from a sailmaker (cheap stuff, Dacron with serious adhesive on one side) and used it for doubling on the back of the sheepskin where the snaps go, marked where I wanted them, took it to a boat canvas shop and had heavy-duty stainless steel female staps installed (cost: peanuts). I brought the male half with self-tapping screws (also stainless) home and screwed them into the seat pan near the bottom rim.

Snapped in place, the sheepskin stays taunt. Never had a problem with any of it in 30,000 miles, and it's easy to remove the sheepskin for any reason. I had enough to make a second shorter sheepskin cover for the memory foam using the same seatpan snaps, leaving the rear half of the seat nekkid for when I put my Wolfman soft bags on and duffel atop the seat. (A buddy said I put the sheepskin on wrong - "It goes on the tank!")

`Sorry for borrowing the thread! Thanks again for the So. Cal. tour!

upload_2019-5-18_21-29-14.png
    tjt94 likes this.
  20. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.. I really need to make it out to the Salton Sea sometime...