1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Tablets for GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trganey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Tabbi

Tabbi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know a 8" tablet, maybe waterproof if not with a waterproof case? a 10" ist much to big for a small bike.
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2

You can find them on eBay for less than $200 if you hunt carefully.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You may want to try something temporary first.

I had a 7" Phablet that I just downsized because it actually took up too much space.....working on playing with the cell situation but my S9+ may be taking over full time nav duties.

I usually carry a tablet to plan with that way I can side sync the tracks between devices (or E-mail, NFC whatever)

YMMV of course.
  4. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get my Tab Active 2 to recognize an external GPS antenna (Globalsat BU-353S4) to get faster response and greater accuracy but I can't figure out how to get the device to recognize the antenna.
    I think it needs a USB-OTG app to recognize the antenna - Anybody got an idea if how to make these two play nice together?
    I've got the RAM mount for the tablet that has the charging pins in it to free up the USB-C port.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Globalsat BU-353S4 seems to be only for Windows/Mac and drivers are req'd. Look around to see if you can find a Bluetooth Android compatible external GPS.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend a bluetooth option as well, but if you are deadset on using what you have.

https://mapsnmaps.blogspot.com/2014/02/using-external-usb-gps-with-android.html

I have no idea if this actually works. For the Active 2, you would need a USB-C OTG cable

https://www.amazon.com/ELUCTO-Adapter-Macbook-Samsung-Motorola/dp/B00ZWN64RS

For me, this is too many wires. I already have to power the thing, I would prefer not to connect an OTG cable and have it dangling there as well. Personally I think wiring in a bluetooth option on the bike is better, but more expensive.

I have found the GPS on the tablet to be more than sufficient by itself.
  7. WV4Life

WV4Life WV4Life

Oddometer:
    Late to the conversation but my concern that I have with a tablet is that my helmet chin bar often hits my GPS in rougher sections of trails. This would only be compounded with a larger screen. I wanted to go this route but was afraid I’d crack the screen within a week.