Tablets for GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by trganey, Feb 19, 2015.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I have not; I'll check it out.

Yeah, the built-in GPS antenna makes plugging in the Garmin a little pointless (if it's even possible, which I doubt).

--mark
  2. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    You lost your cell phone service. When that happens all the apps that run through your cell service are lost. Waze is good in town, out side of town. Not so much.
    You need an app that can and will work without service.
    Locus or OSMAND+
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

I use my smartphone as a GPS all of the time over Blood Mountain, Richard Russell, across 180, and all of those places. On and off pavement. The GPS still works when the software is on the phone like OSMand or CoPilot. But something online like Waze will flame out.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

wow, here's a mess of confusion ! sorting it out with a list:
    1 cool !
    2 WAZE is an application that requires wifi/cellular data to download map tiles, while you drive. it's gps antenna did not go 'offline', it's source for map tiles did.
    3 the garmin had MAPS loaded on it. both devices had functional gps antennas. it's the MAPS were talking about. none on the ipad, some on the garmin. take the garmin to china, and you'll see the same thing... since it doesn't have street level maps for china, just like the ipad didn't have maps loaded for blood mountain.
    4 even if it were possible to plug the garmin into the ipad, there would be no difference with the ipad... since both gps antennas were working, but the ipad was lacking MAPS for your location. adding another gps antenna = no gains.
    5 GPS = an antenna that uses pings from satellites to do math to find it's location on the earth.
    MAPS = those pretty tiles of streets and terrain that make computers easier to understand for humans.
    CELLULAR = an antenna that transmits and receieves data
    WIFI = similar to cellular but on a different bandwidth
    Bluetooth = similar to wifi and cellular but on a different bandwidth
    NFC = similar to (see where this is going?)
    ANT/ANT+ = similar to...
    DLNA = simlar to...
    3g = simil...
    2g = sim...
    edge = si...

so gps = antenna, and maps = what you look at.

they aren't the same thing
    regnaDkciN and EmmEff like this.
  5. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    i knew that the WAZE flame out was because of no cell up there. My old Garmin Street Pilot 2610 has a very outdated user interface and searching for addresses is a headache. i.e. I was searching for "3365 E 1st Street, Blue Ridge, GA 30513" gets me an address in Macon, GA, etc. finally found it by searching "1st". Since, lately, I've been keeping iPhone in rear pannier (powered and dry), i've grown accustomed to turn by turn navigation through the Scala g9x. The idea of routing an external gps antenna into the pannier to augment/assist the iPhone or iPad maps apps crossed my mind.
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that's what you want to do, just pick up a Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS receiver. Works great, with much better sensitivity than the iPhone/iPad built-in GPS antenna. I know it's nice not to have to spend money and be able to use equipment you already have, but there's no realistic way of plugging your old Garmin into an iOS device.

Of course, the other thing you could do is simply move your iPhone from inside your rear pannier to a handlebar mount so its GPS reception is unobstructed. Or at the very least, move it into a tank bag map pocket.

--mark
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Install Here maps on your phone. Download the entire united states. Put your phone on the handle bar or in the tank bag.

You will not miss the Garmin.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  8. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    What's tempting me about mounting a loaded Air2 to my handle bars is, it's wayyyyy tooooo big! That gets my little bisket buttered.
  9. regnaDkciN

Oddometer:
    and a partridge in a pear tree. (or when I was 4...a par tree jinapairt ree!)
    ohgood likes this.
  10. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    iPhone.

I have dabbled with the tablet sized device and agree that it's just too big to be mounted on the bike. I prefer the size of the current crop of Samsung Phones and phablets. I think a Samsung S5 or S5 Active would be a very good GPS for a while.
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about an iPad Mini if you're sticking with an iOS device? That's what I am tempted to try next. I should have room behind the windshield on my Dakar for that.
    griffo1962 and ohgood like this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    please do it ! i mean, don't make a rash decision that will cost you money, but please tell us about your experience with it if you do ! we need more iphone/ipad/ios input for sure. it's awesome hardware/software. populate the knowledge tree baby !
    regnaDkciN and griffo1962 like this.
  13. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried mounting mine to the bike yet, but it works great in the car. The size is far more manageable than a full-sized iPad (even for everyday use -- I can carry the iPad mini by spanning my hand across it and wrapping my fingers around one edge and thumb around the opposite edge, for example). Screen resolution is the same as the iPad Air, it's just physically smaller, so it displays tons of detail very crisply (it's gorgeous to look at, especially with an app like Garmin Pilot that displays a terrain map with lots of useful information overlaid).

I'm thinking it's a pretty ideal size for use on an ADV or touring bike; on a naked standard, dual-sport, or sportbike an iPhone 6 Plus might be better though.

--mark
    griffo1962 likes this.
  14. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been playing with navigation options on iOS more so than Android lately.

Agreed. My son has a retina Mini and I am very familiar with it.

I certainly agree, but this comes at a much greater expense, of course. Even used iPhone 6+ is hundreds of dollars more than a new Mini here.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  15. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am very confused by all these discussions as almost none of it applies to what I'm trying to do, and I don't think I'm trying to do anything special. Let me first say that I''m only concerned with navigating on-road, not off-road.

That said I have only two distinct scenarios. First, I want to get from point A to point B in the fastest way possible. Solution, Google Maps app on iPhone with turn by turn directions to my wired or Bluetooth headphones. Done.

The second scenario, which is THE reason for wanting anything else, is to plan a route on my PC (Mac) and then transfer it to the device on my bike. I'm just not going to plan a route, which I want to do 99% of my rides, on a smartphone, GPS device, tablet, etc. I'd rather have a root canal while traveling by motorcycle.

The holy grail is planning a route a la Google maps on my computer and then transferring it to my on-board navigation device for audible turn-by-turn directions. This used to be easily achieved within Google maps by simply saving a planned route and then bringing it up on the Google app. Audible turn-by-turn directions for the custom map created on the computer, viola! For some reason they disabled this function (I'm guessing big pay off by Garmin and Tom Tom).

I'm a simpleton, but I don't understand why anyone (who wants to travel on road) wants anything but this basic functionality.

P.S. I've already spent 40 hours of my life trying to learn Basecamp (I've flushed $$$$ on a Zumo 590) and still can't navigate a custom route to my work place 2 miles from my home.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

FURKOT, GPSIES, the harley navigator thing, or any of the online route builders will get you a gpx file. Download the file, (or email/bluetooth/wifidirect/whatever) it to your phone or tablet, and there you go. Google maps will not do it, you want to use Google My Maps in order to store/save/share stuff via google nowadays (please correct me if i'm wrong, someone!).

There are some differences in HOW you can transfer things depending on wether you're using an iOS device or an Android, but it's possible and easy.

Also, for point n shoot, Google Maps now does routing offline, so if you download an area (or areas) before traveling, you can always use that for street riding.

Basecamp is interesting, people either love or hate it. Looks like you've already subscribed to a camp.
  17. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

SOME Apple iPad devices do NOT have a GPS chip set unless the device also has a 3G (or other) chip set. I guess those chip set were the same. So you may want to be sure that you get a true GPS chip set in this.
  18. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would suggest that you find a better map generator than Google maps. The big issue with Google maps is that they have made it harder to extract the map data from them over the years. You will have issues getting the data that you have generated, from them.
    Use one of the ones the ohgood mentioned.
    I used to use ITNconverter for simple route generation and conversion. It appears to have stopped working in the last month though.
  19. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I intend on using a Garmin GLO Bluetooth GPS (or maybe a Tiny Elf if I win the lottery)... Only the (older) 3G and (current model) LTE iPads have a built-in GPS.
  20. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually nothing of the sort, so you can put your conspiracy theory away. Neither Garmin nor TomTom could give Google anything more than a pittance. Google makes money from advertising. When you're using their data, offline and without the ability for them to put ads in everything you see and do, they are not making money.